AA - Atheists and Alcoholism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2016, 01:59 AM
RE: AA - Atheists and Alcoholism
(21-07-2016 06:05 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  AA actually has about the same rate of recovery as does "spontaneous recovery".

About 5% of alcoholics just recover spontaneously each year with no therapy of any kind.

The recovery rate for AA is about 5% although, in fact, it is impossible to say what it is with any accuracy because AA keeps no statistics at all.

There are anecdotal reports of recovery through AA attendance and exertion of willpower but the failure rate of AA is staggeringly high and it's method isn't based on any science. There are now some useful medications being used to help with alcoholism.

Here is a site outlining the 1930's thinking behind AA: http://www.orange-papers.org/

The thing is, AA is about emotional support. Keeping statistics on that is pretty dicey.

Take what you can use, and leave the rest, y'know?

Far be it for me to tell anyone else how to address their own bugbears. If AA does someone some good, I'm cool with that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
24-07-2016, 04:19 AM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2016 04:29 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
So at the moment my mother's having another drunken breakdown. Fortunately this time one of her friends is helping her. Yeah, pretty sure her story about not being responsible for her DUI is bullshit.

24-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Next time that happens, record her on your phone's video.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
24-07-2016, 11:13 AM
Getting out of detox tomorrow and they're trying to convince me to go into an outpatient program. It's not AA and it's secular but it is not free but my insurance covers it. I said "I got this big bottle of anabuse at home I think I'm gonna try first." Anyone have any expereince with anabuse?

#sigh
24-07-2016, 11:16 AM
(24-07-2016 11:13 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Getting out of detox tomorrow and they're trying to convince me to go into an outpatient program. It's not AA and it's not free but my insurance covers it. I said "I got this big bottle of anabuse I think I'm gonna try first." Anyone have any expereince with anabuse?

My mother was on it for a time. I recall that there were things that had to be avoided that you maybe wouldn't think of...like certain mouthwashes. Anything with an alcohol content can cause problems. Even colognes and aftershaves on the skin can cause a reaction.

I suppose the biggest thing would be that you have to commit to using Antabuse as prescribed to help you avoid the intake of alcohol.

But you already know that the biggest battle is in your head. You got to get your head right to do this. You can't drink...not even a little bit.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
24-07-2016, 11:20 AM
Been there done that. My biggest problem was as you alluded to the idea that I had to devote my life, the rest of it, to AA meetings and the program. They celebrate the fact that only about 5% of their members actually die sober and drug free, why not celebrate how one lives? The sharing at almost all AA meetings of the guy who says "I have been coming to these meetings for 13 years and am still this close to my next drink." As the guy reaches his hand out and pantomimes wrapping his fingers around a glass. They cannot finish a meeting without "THe Lord's Prayer."
24-07-2016, 11:24 AM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2016 11:37 AM by Born Again Pagan.)
(24-07-2016 11:13 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Getting out of detox tomorrow and they're trying to convince me to go into an outpatient program. It's not AA and it's secular but it is not free but my insurance covers it. I said "I got this big bottle of anabuse at home I think I'm gonna try first." Anyone have any expereince with anabuse?

It is said that if you take antabuse and then drink it can well be fatal. That is how my brother's best friend committed suicide. several antabuse pills, no one knew how many, and then 12 ounces of 151 Rum Which he called Doctor Bacardi. SO if you have any suicide tendencies stay away from the antabuse.

What did help me was reading two books, I don't know if either are still in print, But "7 weeks to sobriety" was one of them, and "The Small Book" the other.
24-07-2016, 11:33 AM
(24-07-2016 11:00 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Next time that happens, record her on your phone's video.

Maybe. I'm not sure how confrontational I want to be about it with her yet, or if it would necessarily be effective.

24-07-2016, 02:14 PM
(24-07-2016 11:13 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Getting out of detox tomorrow and they're trying to convince me to go into an outpatient program. It's not AA and it's secular but it is not free but my insurance covers it. I said "I got this big bottle of anabuse at home I think I'm gonna try first." Anyone have any expereince with anabuse?

Whether you pick outpatient rehab or antabuse should depend upon which type of reinforcement works best for you: positive or negative. I did the outpatient rehab thing (this was in the '90s, so I don't know if it's any better or worse now), but it seemed to work pretty well. That's just me, though - the positive, motivational approach was the charm. Negative reinforcement always makes me more obstreperous and contrary.
24-07-2016, 10:55 PM

I urge you to go with the out-patient program. I have never tried Antabuse™.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user