AA - Atheists and Alcoholism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2016, 03:14 PM
RE: AA - Atheists and Alcoholism
(25-07-2016 03:04 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  The big money is going with baclofen ....

I tried it a few years ago in the high dosages suggested by Olivier Ameisen (yes I try pharmaceuticals on my own without a Doctor's supervision, don't try this at home kids, Girly's an expert) without effect. I think it could work for some though.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2016, 04:00 PM
(25-07-2016 07:29 AM)Walter Wrote:  My wife’s meeting decided to replace the end-of-meeting Lord’s Prayer with a repeat of the start-of-meeting Serenity Prayer, likely to appease one or two whining atheists. I have no problem with the Lord’s Prayer and actually miss it. My view is that if you do not like it, leave.
They aren't whiny though. There is no reason to attack their character just because they speak up about not liking the group Christian prayer in their AA group.

AA is about support to get through alcoholism.

The Lord's Prayer is a Christian worship thing.

Why is AA having group Christian worship? It's entirely unnecessary, and excludes the non Christians.

If you want to praise god or Jesus then do that inside your head, or in the privacy of your own home or at church. Why the need to insert that into your AA support group? Especially when there are members who aren't Christian.
Don't you think that the Christians would start complaining if the group decided to have a regular group Islamic prayer at the end of each AA meeting?

Just because there is a group gathering, It doesn't have to end with a group prayer.
25-07-2016, 04:48 PM
(25-07-2016 01:23 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(25-07-2016 11:34 AM)ImFred Wrote:  They have to be free.

Here's a few:

http://www.sossobriety.org/about-us.html

http://www.smartrecovery.org/

http://lifering.org/new-to-lifering/

None of those exist in my town
25-07-2016, 04:54 PM
(25-07-2016 04:48 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
(25-07-2016 01:23 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Here's a few:

They probably exist on your internet, though.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
25-07-2016, 08:15 PM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2016 08:19 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(25-07-2016 04:48 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
(25-07-2016 01:23 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Here's a few:

Then look into their online resources. You can do this. Because I'm uncomfortable with the overly Christian nature of the local AA groups, I'm a regular reader and sometime poster at SoberRecovery.com. It's definitely helped me assemble my recovery toolkit -- methods that help stave off urges and help me move forward. They've also helps me dig deeper into the roots of my own addiction, which is solid, long-term gain. Give it a shot. You might be surprised.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
25-07-2016, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2016 08:25 PM by Chas.)
(25-07-2016 05:18 AM)ImFred Wrote:  The people at AA are really nice but it's also fucking creepy. They all use the same jargonistic cliches. They think this book written 60 years ago has supernatural correctness. They think they offer the only path to sobriety. They're fucking Jesusy as all fucking hell. They tell you you're insane so don't think. And they want more than sobriety. For many of them, allegiance to their religion and yes it is that, supersedes sobriety. If you stop drinking, go to meetings, but don't follow their religion they call you a 'dry drunk'. That's the stupidest fucking expression I ever heard. I'm still going though because I hate alcohol so much. Fuck their steps and higher power and their poorly written shitty little AA Bible. Fuck their prayers. Fuck their lingo. I'm still going to the meetings. I do think it helps. And I understand most people need a system or a program, it could probably be this or that, and people seem to actually believe prayer makes a difference. Here's the plan: Don't Drink.

You're generalizing about a diverse group of people. Have fun doing it on your own. Drinking Beverage

Make friends; mutually support each other; go to group therapy.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-07-2016, 08:25 PM
(25-07-2016 04:00 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(25-07-2016 07:29 AM)Walter Wrote:  My wife’s meeting decided to replace the end-of-meeting Lord’s Prayer with a repeat of the start-of-meeting Serenity Prayer, likely to appease one or two whining atheists. I have no problem with the Lord’s Prayer and actually miss it. My view is that if you do not like it, leave.
They aren't whiny though. There is no reason to attack their character just because they speak up about not liking the group Christian prayer in their AA group.

AA is about support to get through alcoholism.

The Lord's Prayer is a Christian worship thing.

Why is AA having group Christian worship? It's entirely unnecessary, and excludes the non Christians.

If you want to praise god or Jesus then do that inside your head, or in the privacy of your own home or at church. Why the need to insert that into your AA support group? Especially when there are members who aren't Christian.
Don't you think that the Christians would start complaining if the group decided to have a regular group Islamic prayer at the end of each AA meeting?

Just because there is a group gathering, It doesn't have to end with a group prayer.

Not every meeting ends with the Lord's Prayer. In fact, those that do are in the minority in my area.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-07-2016, 09:35 PM
(25-07-2016 08:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  Not every meeting ends with the Lord's Prayer. In fact, those that do are in the minority in my area.
It's pretty much unheard of in these parts. But I've never been to an AA meeting I don't know what they do over here in AA meetings.
26-07-2016, 03:38 AM
(25-07-2016 08:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-07-2016 05:18 AM)ImFred Wrote:  The people at AA are really nice but it's also fucking creepy. They all use the same jargonistic cliches. They think this book written 60 years ago has supernatural correctness. They think they offer the only path to sobriety. They're fucking Jesusy as all fucking hell. Th ey tell you you're insane so don't think. And they want more than sobriety. For many of them, allegiance to their religion and yes it is that, supersedes sobriety. If you stop drinking, go to meetings, but don't follow their religion they call you a 'dry drunk'. That's the stupidest fucking expression I ever heard. I'm still going though because I hate alcohol so much. Fuck their steps and higher power and their poorly written shitty little AA Bible. Fuck their prayers. Fuck their lingo. I'm still going to the meetings. I do think it helps. And I understand most people need a system or a program, it could probably be this or that, and people seem to actually believe prayer makes a difference. Here's the plan: Don't Drink.

You're generalizing about a diverse group of people. Have fun doing it on your own. Drinking Beverage

Make friends; mutually support each other; go to group therapy.

That Drinking Beverage emoticon is so cuntish. I didn't say I was doing it own my own. I said I'm going to meetings.
26-07-2016, 03:39 AM
(25-07-2016 09:35 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(25-07-2016 08:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  Not every meeting ends with the Lord's Prayer. In fact, those that do are in the minority in my area.
It's pretty much unheard of in these parts. But I've never been to an AA meeting I don't know what they do over here in AA meetings.

They do it at every meeting in my town
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post