AA - Atheists and Alcoholism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2016, 01:36 PM
RE: AA - Atheists and Alcoholism
(27-07-2016 12:11 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Thanks

Are you still abstaining from alcohol?

Yes but I won't deny its hard especially as I lost my dad about six weeks ago, we were close something fierce I admit I'm finding it really difficult Sad
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2016, 02:20 PM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2016 07:48 AM by Mr. Boston.)
(26-07-2016 02:48 PM)TheQueenOfFrogs Wrote:  Your friends' experiences are really surprising to me. I never hid my atheism in any AA or NA meeting and I never had anyone try to convert me to any belief as a result. The only people I knew who lost their self-confidence and resolve by going to AA or NA meetings tended to be those who were getting their confidence and resolve from drugs or alcohol. I do hope your friends' religious brainwashing wears off without them losing their desire to stay clean.

I probably should've clarified, these are people who weren't necessarily atheists before treatment but certainly weren't enthusiastic believers. They all came out with the same idea that Jesus saved them, totally handing over credit for all the hard work THEY did themselves to the great divine healer. I just think it's a shame. These people deserve to feel very proud of themselves for whatever successes they've had on the road to recovery - instead God gets the credit. When they relapse it's because they're low and weak and it's their own fault. When they're sober again for awhile it's because God is helping them.
27-07-2016, 02:25 PM
(27-07-2016 01:36 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(27-07-2016 12:11 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Thanks

Are you still abstaining from alcohol?

Yes but I won't deny its hard especially as I lost my dad about six weeks ago, we were close something fierce I admit I'm finding it really difficult Sad

I'm very sorry to hear that. If you're the wrong kind of drinker, and I take it you are, going on a drunk will only make it worse. I know you already know that but I just want to offer a respectful reminder. Good luck. Stay strong.
27-07-2016, 02:26 PM
(27-07-2016 02:20 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  
(26-07-2016 02:48 PM)TheQueenOfFrogs Wrote:  Your friends' experiences are really surprising to me. I never hid my atheism in any AA or NA meeting and I never had anyone try to convert me to any belief as a result. The only people I knew who lost their self-confidence and resolve by going to AA or NA meetings tended to be those who were getting their confidence and resolve from drugs or alcohol. I do hope your friends' religious brainwashing wears off without them losing their desire to stay clean.

I probably should've clarified, these are people who weren't necessarily atheists before treatment but certainly weren't enthusiastic believers. They call came out with the same idea that Jesus saved them, totally handing over credit for all the hard work THEY did themselves to the great divine healer. I just think it's a shame. These people deserve to feel very proud of themselves for whatever successes they've had on the road to recovery - instead God gets the credit. When they relapse it's because they're low and weak and it's their own fault. When they're sober again for awhile it's because God is helping them.

Yep. Dead on.
27-07-2016, 02:26 PM
(24-07-2016 11:24 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  It is said that if you take antabuse and then drink it can well be fatal.

Yeah, my witch doctor said not to do that. "That could kill you. I've already tricked you into seeing a therapist you continued to refuse to see, that's plenty." "mumble mumble mumble .... Hindu bastard .... mumble mumble"

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
28-07-2016, 05:49 AM
Hi Fred hope you're ok I'm thinking of you and wishing you well on your detox journey hope its not too uncomfortable stay strong bro
28-07-2016, 06:24 AM
Tomorrow night I'll go watch my wife celebrate 29 years. She goes to meetings where we live now live in SEPA but she always celebrates at her old meeting in northern NJ, where we used to live. She always brings people from down here to come celebrate with her and tomorrow is no different. We'll be heading up late afternoon so we have time to stop for Thai food. Traffic between here and the meeting can get pretty bad so we have to leave enough time.

I'm not an addict or an alcoholic but I've been to enough meetings that I feel I can at least speak intelligently on the topic. All I'll say about AA is that it provides a great support group and, for some people, it works. I seriously question the 5% statistics but even if that's true, it matters for those 5%. It costs you nothing but time and, for my wife, she's made some very close friends. She has an amazing support group and if she ever did want to drink again there are 2 dozen women of various ages who would tackle her and wrestle that drink from her hands. My wife is my best friend, but it's great she has an emotional support group beyond what I can do.

I think that, for her at least, that is the key to her sobriety. She has a lot to lose and a lot of support. At home, with friends, there is always positive reinforcement (and, since I do drink - not excessively but I will have drinks, I am negative reinforcement, although I don't mean to be).

For those of you struggling, keep up the good fight. My suggestion is go to meetings and find your people. They are there. You don't need to be close to everyone but find a few people you like and trust and try to form relationships with them. You get a few people in your life who you trust and understand what you are going through, you have an advantage.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
28-07-2016, 01:05 PM
(28-07-2016 05:49 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Hi Fred hope you're ok I'm thinking of you and wishing you well on your detox journey hope its not too uncomfortable stay strong bro

Thanks. I'm past that now and I'm on the don't fuck up again stage.

Good post BnW
22-10-2016, 07:42 AM
Still in AA

Still sober

Found this helpful

http://aaagnostica.org/wp-content/upload...-07-09.pdf
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post
22-10-2016, 07:46 AM
6 weeks booze-free for me now. No AA or sobriety though.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post