ABC's 'What would you do?'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2015, 07:44 AM
ABC's 'What would you do?'
Great job at vilifying atheists, ABC.
Do you repeat the experiment with praying muslims? Hindus?
Did you have christians doing the complaining versus the above groups.

All atheists I know would never do that. Many of us know the pain of bullying from co-workers, family and friends. We know what bullying is and through the 'magic' of empathy realize that we would not like it done to us and thus don't do it to others.

Only a religious fucknut producer would try this kind of bullshit.

with all the respective you deserve, ABC, please read between the lines iili/.

http://abcnews.go.com/video/embed?id=32526080

Complaint form.
http://abcnews.go.com/Site/page?id=3271346&cat=What
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
21-07-2015, 07:59 AM
RE: ABC's 'What would you do?'
The interesting thing is how they have their little wwyd tagline to the bit. Very close to of course, WWJD and actually based on some of his bibble quotes. He would be more along the lines of that flannel wearing girl. He did say don't be like those folks who pray in public to be seen.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
21-07-2015, 08:03 AM
and of course they have to do it in a town dominated by religitards...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
21-07-2015, 08:05 AM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2015 08:14 AM by pablo.)
I'd like to see a scenario where an atheist (who respectfully declined) is being badgered by a Christian to pray in public over a meal.
Same restaurant in Texas.

Edit: I believe that show usually will do a flip side of the story but not this time.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
21-07-2015, 08:11 AM
Most likely a lynch mob would form up to oust the "godless commie".....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
21-07-2015, 09:17 AM
I filled out the complaint form and here is what I wrote: Your WWYD segment with an atheist complaining about the family praying in a restaurant is perhaps the most unbalanced, unfair, unprofessional "news" segment this career journalist has ever seen. You vilified atheists and let your religious slant taint the subject. Where's the Muslim family praying in the restaurant and the complaining Christian? You can imagine every scenario that should've been used to balance your reporting, but you didn't do that. I guess balanced reporting isn't your dogma.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like WillHopp's post
21-07-2015, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2015 09:33 AM by Tomasia.)
(21-07-2015 07:44 AM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  Great job at vilifying atheists, ABC.

All atheists I know would never do that. Many of us know the pain of bullying from co-workers, family and friends. We know what bullying is and through the 'magic' of empathy realize that we would not like it done to us and thus don't do it to others.

Complaint form.

The "What Would You Do" segments, always include a caricature villain, over exaggerated for affect, and the videos are primarily about how folks respond to them, than anything else. Just because the lady in the video was labeled an atheists, nothing about the video suggested she was representative of the atheists community as a whole, or representative of anyone for that matter.

But there is some background for her dickish behavior, as evident by the FFRF opposition to a prayer discount, which they were skewered by the Daily Show for:

http://www.grubstreet.com/2014/12/daily-...count.html
21-07-2015, 09:37 AM
Sorry, Tomasia, it's an ABC "news" segment, which is supposed to balance the equation. They made no attempt to do that. Also, to your point that the woman wasn't representing atheists, I have to disagree. She could have just as easily said, "Your prayer goes against my beliefs," and left it at that, but they specifically made her an atheist. Since she was "over exaggerated" that means she was stereotyped, which in turn means she is representing what the producer perceived atheists to be like. It's a poor hastily thought-out segment at best.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-07-2015, 09:47 AM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2015 09:51 AM by Tomasia.)
(21-07-2015 09:37 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Sorry, Tomasia, it's an ABC "news" segment, which is supposed to balance the equation. They made no attempt to do that. Also, to your point that the woman wasn't representing atheists, I have to disagree. She could have just as easily said, "Your prayer goes against my beliefs," and left it at that, but they specifically made her an atheist. Since she was "over exaggerated" that means she was stereotyped, which in turn means she is representing what the producer perceived atheists to be like. It's a poor hastily thought-out segment at best.

By that logic, the bullying homophobic gay scouts in this segment, are representative of young scouts in general:

http://abcnews.go.com/WhatWouldYouDo/vid...y-19408022

Or this patriot racist, is representative of patriots in general:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zikzc9sx4fE

The segments follow the same formula. They are not about the caricature villains in the segments, but about the responses the scenario provokes.

Your gripe seems to be the atheists villain in the segment was not realistically portrayed, as if any of the villains in these segments ever are.
21-07-2015, 10:20 AM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2015 10:24 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(21-07-2015 07:44 AM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  Great job at vilifying atheists, ABC.

Complaint form.

Yeah, they were just going for effect, but I'm pretty offended by the stereotyping. Not only is the "atheists are arrogant assholes who want to stop others from practicing their faith" trope going strong, there... (can anyone tell me why prayer in public should "offend" me? or why others think that's what we think?)

...but did you notice that they're having burgers, while the "hippie-dippie liberal atheist type" is having a salad?

On the other hand, exaggerating a stereotype to cause a scene is pretty much what the show does. For instance, they'll make a super-homophobe Christian "parent" verbally attack a little boy in a toystore because he says he wants a doll to play with, just to see who steps in in the little boy's defense. (Sadly, in that case, more than half of the participants backed the parent up.)

I really like the old man with the shaved head, toward the end. He actually made me happy, with his kindhearted approach to resolving the conflict. It's why I'm not willing to attack the faithful for their faith alone. Indeed, had I been in that restaurant, I'd have told that chick to shut the fuck up, as vehemently as possible, and I too would have apologized to the family she disturbed, on behalf of the rest of the atheists out there. I suspect, had they been anywhere but "deep in the heart of Texas", there would have been such an atheist in the café at some point, to make just such a counter to the aggressive actress.

(Edited to add the "On the other hand" afterthought.)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson