ABC's 'What would you do?'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2015, 10:27 AM
RE: ABC's 'What would you do?'
(21-07-2015 09:47 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 09:37 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Sorry, Tomasia, it's an ABC "news" segment, which is supposed to balance the equation. They made no attempt to do that. Also, to your point that the woman wasn't representing atheists, I have to disagree. She could have just as easily said, "Your prayer goes against my beliefs," and left it at that, but they specifically made her an atheist. Since she was "over exaggerated" that means she was stereotyped, which in turn means she is representing what the producer perceived atheists to be like. It's a poor hastily thought-out segment at best.

By that logic, the bullying homophobic gay scouts in this segment, are representative of young scouts in general:

http://abcnews.go.com/WhatWouldYouDo/vid...y-19408022

Or this patriot racist, is representative of patriots in general:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zikzc9sx4fE

The segments follow the same formula. They are not about the caricature villains in the segments, but about the responses the scenario provokes.

Your gripe seems to be the atheists villain in the segment was not realistically portrayed, as if any of the villains in these segments ever are.

Clearly there is something wrong with the segment then isn't there? I expect something like this from an entertainment network like Comedy Central but not an ABC News show.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2015, 10:28 AM
(21-07-2015 09:47 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 09:37 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Sorry, Tomasia, it's an ABC "news" segment, which is supposed to balance the equation. They made no attempt to do that. Also, to your point that the woman wasn't representing atheists, I have to disagree. She could have just as easily said, "Your prayer goes against my beliefs," and left it at that, but they specifically made her an atheist. Since she was "over exaggerated" that means she was stereotyped, which in turn means she is representing what the producer perceived atheists to be like. It's a poor hastily thought-out segment at best.

By that logic, the bullying homophobic gay scouts in this segment, are representative of young scouts in general:

The segments follow the same formula. They are not about the caricature villains in the segments, but about the responses the scenario provokes.

Your gripe seems to be the atheists villain in the segment was not realistically portrayed, as if any of the villains in these segments ever are.

Are you this much of a troll or still so dense?

The complaint is that it encourages a stereotype of a group. And that many people with limited experiences or understanding of the positions of that group will have their mentality affected do to the manner of this case.

It's having a lack of tact, and if all of their characters are badly portrayed, that's also lazy or poor work on ABCs part. Maybe they think such staunch black/white contrasting reality type situations will provoke people better or ring in the ears of their audience better, perhaps it does, but it also have implications of the groups. It's going to give negative reactions; and even when people are later explained and informed how this is a test or experiment type of situation, people some times still have that programming linger in their mind and emotions. It's strange how powerful experiences can be to people, but self delusion studies about it are fascinating.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
21-07-2015, 10:30 AM
I edited my prior post to add an afterthought, and have since had another...

Why is she alone, while everyone else is with their families?

Man, fuck them. Fuck them right in the ear!

Just for that, ABC, I think it's about time for...
[Image: 10784802_394102507409532_324236241_a.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
21-07-2015, 10:54 AM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2015 10:58 AM by Tomasia.)
(21-07-2015 10:27 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Clearly there is something wrong with the segment then isn't there? I expect something like this from an entertainment network like Comedy Central but not an ABC News show.

As I previously stated the segments, are not about the actors, but rather about the reactions of onlookers. Hence the title "What Would you Do". It's not suppose to be funny, so it wouldn't make it to Comedy Central. It's a questions of how normal people would respond given a particular scenario, in which another person is attacked, or bullied, demeaned etc....

I'm not sure what a better model for such a segment would be. The same format is used for a variety of different segments of it. I guess the segment would have been less offensive to some atheists, if her beliefs or lack of beliefs were not mentioned? Though I don't think this would have changed anyone stipulations.
21-07-2015, 10:57 AM
(21-07-2015 10:28 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 09:47 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  By that logic, the bullying homophobic gay scouts in this segment, are representative of young scouts in general:

Are you this much of a troll or still so dense?

I think you're becoming tiresome. I'm not sure why you feel the need to constantly interject in a response directed at someone else. If anyone is trolling it seems to be you. You seem to keep wanting to poison the well or something.

I think I'm just gonna avoid actually responding to your comments, since they tend to be laced with ad hominem attacks and shit.
21-07-2015, 11:09 AM
Obviously I threw Comedy Central out there because I said entertainment. It was on a news channel, and not treated as news. The reaction of the people could have easily been attained without mentioning she was an atheist. It's clearly an ignorance on ABC's part.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
21-07-2015, 11:24 AM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2015 11:33 AM by Tomasia.)
(21-07-2015 11:09 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Obviously I threw Comedy Central out there because I said entertainment. It was on a news channel, and not treated as news. The reaction of the people could have easily been attained without mentioning she was an atheist. It's clearly an ignorance on ABC's part.

That's true. It didn't seem necessary to mention she was an atheist, and perhaps was a bit more excessive than need be. Though I think folks watching the segment would likely of assumed as much regardless, if it wasn't mentioned or not. I also think the particular arguments she was having with other diners who weren't in on the fact that it was staged, would require a lot more creativity if she wasn't an atheists. By labeling her an atheists, the segment revolves a variety of problems that would have arose in a scenario in which she wasn't.
21-07-2015, 11:34 AM
But would you agree a segment like that would be much better with a balanced approach, or no particulars at all? Either make it generic or balanced, that's all in saying, and it's the mark of good journalism. Clearly it's not fit for a news channel.

----
21-07-2015, 11:58 AM
(21-07-2015 11:34 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  But would you agree a segment like that would be much better with a balanced approach, or no particulars at all? Either make it generic or balanced, that's all in saying, and it's the mark of good journalism. Clearly it's not fit for a news channel.

It depends on what you mean by balanced? If you mean realistically, than no I don't think it would work at all. Because I'm pretty sure the most realistic response to family praying in a restaurant, by atheists, even if they were anti-theist would be to ignore them all together, maybe make a snide remark under their breath, but that's at worst.

There would be no, "What Would you Do" scenario if it was realistic.

These segments are about gauging the bystanders reactions, how normal people would respond in such situations, some of them are particularly surprising in a good way, like the responses to the gay boy scout member, or the racist patriot.
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
21-07-2015, 12:02 PM
I don't think her being mentioned as an atheist is accidental at all. It's CLEARLY meant to introduce the idea of, "What would you do if confronted with one of them mean ol' hostile atheists who wanted to stop people from praying?" (Which Texans are likelier to think is a real thing, and thus react in a way that is footage-worthy.)

The problem is that it plays into a stereotype of a group that is NOT the hostile aggressors, as so often portrayed, but in fact one of the most maligned groups in the country... maligned, primarily, with misinformation like this (though usually pushed by preachers, not a pox-faced rolly-polly).

My issue isn't even that they used "atheist going after praying family" to see how people would react in Texas, it's that they seem to have made it so stereotypical.

They could have made the Christian family more obnoxious. They could have made the atheist offended for a legitimate reason instead of pushing the stereotype of "well I just find prayer in public offensive."

That's too likely to be confused with our arguments about praying under official auspices, where "public" means the political sense of "the government of the people", not simply "out in the open".

As I said, I'm quite certain that if I had been in that restaurant, I'd have told that annoying caricature of an atheist to STFU much more ardently than the very-polite Texan Christians in that place did!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post