ABC's 'What would you do?'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2015, 12:44 PM
RE: ABC's 'What would you do?'
(21-07-2015 12:02 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I don't think her being mentioned as an atheist is accidental at all. It's CLEARLY meant to introduce the idea of, "What would you do if confronted with one of them mean ol' hostile atheists who wanted to stop people from praying?" (Which Texans are likelier to think is a real thing, and thus react in a way that is footage-worthy.)

The problem is that it plays into a stereotype of a group that is NOT the hostile aggressors, as so often portrayed, but in fact one of the most maligned groups in the country... maligned, primarily, with misinformation like this (though usually pushed by preachers, not a pox-faced rolly-polly).

Well I don’t think it was accidental either, but not for the reasons you mentioned though, but rather because the scenario required it for parsimony. The scenario is, “what would you do if some obnoxious asshole tried to stop a family from praying in a restaurant”

Let’s assume we’re part of the creative team assigned to fabricate the scenario. Let’s assume we didn’t disclose the villains beliefs, or lack of beliefs.

What would be the villains argument as to why he was offended by the families public prayer with the bystanders who were not in on the fact that it was staged? How would we frame this argument, without giving away the individuals beliefs or lack of beliefs? How would we make it so that the bystanders wouldn’t find the scenario fishy, or a bit stretched?

What I’d argue is that trying to do it another way, would require a great deal more effort than needed, more time than necessary, and a great deal more creative effort to do so. Our creative team would have to jump through a variety of loops to make it work even remotely as well. The villains atheism, just makes all this so much easier.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
21-07-2015, 12:48 PM
Again, her belief isn't relevant. Anyone could be offended by prayer without being atheist.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-07-2015, 12:54 PM
No I agree it was a matter of convenience, easy-stereotype-within-reach, and laziness on the part of the creators. An aggressive atheist is most likely to piss off Texans with viewable results, most quickly and reliably.

Most effect with least effort.

Sounds like TV to me.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
21-07-2015, 01:15 PM
And again, not appropriate for news.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
21-07-2015, 01:25 PM
(21-07-2015 12:48 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Again, her belief isn't relevant. Anyone could be offended by prayer without being atheist.

Why would someone other than an atheists be offended by a family praying in a restaurant?
21-07-2015, 01:28 PM
I think other religions might not want to hear that drivel.

----
21-07-2015, 01:30 PM
(21-07-2015 01:25 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 12:48 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Again, her belief isn't relevant. Anyone could be offended by prayer without being atheist.

Why would someone other than an atheists be offended by a family praying in a restaurant?

Flip the scenario have it be a Muslim family praying to Allah and a christian being belligerent. That would have been much more likely and more interesting to see the reactions in Texas.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
21-07-2015, 01:37 PM
(21-07-2015 01:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Flip the scenario have it be a Muslim family praying to Allah and a christian being belligerent. That would have been much more likely and more interesting to see the reactions in Texas.

It probably would have been more interesting, though they already did the "muslim" victim in another segment. I do recall one of the bystanders in this segment claiming they would have defended the praying family just the same, even if they were muslim.
21-07-2015, 01:54 PM
(21-07-2015 01:25 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

How about someone who actually follows what the Bible teaches? Consider

Matthew 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet,
and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret;
and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
21-07-2015, 02:18 PM
(21-07-2015 11:34 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  But would you agree a segment like that would be much better with a balanced approach, or no particulars at all? Either make it generic or balanced, that's all in saying, and it's the mark of good journalism. Clearly it's not fit for a news channel.

I don't consider ABC to be a serious news channel. I watched a few of episodes of that show, but stopped, because I noticed they're all laid out the same way.

In other words I have zero expectation for balanced anything, it's almost a surprise when they do show it.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces