ACS Turns down half a million in donations from FBB

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2011, 08:45 AM
ACS Turns down half a million in donations from FBB
Foundation Beyond Belief, a secular charity funded by atheists, freethinkers, and humanists offered $500,000 to the American Cancer society. They turned it down. Stating it wasn't because of the religious stance of the organization. I saw a post of someones on another website saying "Cancer doesn't discriminate, why does the ACS?"

There is no excuse to turn down that kind of money as a donation when so many people need it. They depend on it, with their lives.

http://www.examiner.com/humanist-in-nati...m-atheists

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes NotSoVacuous's post
30-10-2011, 12:37 AM
RE: ACS Turns down half a million in donations from FBB
Fuck em then, give it to stem cell research.
It can’t be because of a religious stance of a group of people with no religion…
And they said it wasn’t…
Maybe they already have a cure and laundering the money is just too hard?

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
30-10-2011, 01:21 AM
RE: ACS Turns down half a million in donations from FBB
It was proposed that maybe they are making the moral desicion. Maybe, by accepting the athiests money, those christians who happen to be bigoted towards atheists are less likely to donate, thinking that they are in some way affiliated with athiests, or at least don't share their views on them. By not accepting the atheist half million, they may keep people donating millions more that they wouldn't otherwise. maybe, if that is the case (which I am obviously not convinced of), then they ARE making the moral desicion.
An interesting thought.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire