ACUPUNCTURE—Calls for banning in Australia

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
02-08-2016, 04:31 AM
Exclamation ACUPUNCTURE—Calls for banning in Australia
Friends of Science in Medicine, an Australian anti-quackery group with more than 1,100 members, has issued a devastating report calling for an end to acupuncture as a medical practice. After summarizing acupuncture history, theories, research, and rationalisations for failed studies, the authors conclude:

• Acupuncture has been studied for decades, and the evidence that it can provide clinical benefits continues to be weak and inconsistent. There is no longer any justification for more studies. There is already enough evidence to confidently conclude that acupuncture doesn't work. It is merely a theatrical placebo based on pre-scientific myths.

• All health care providers who accept that they should base their treatments on scientific evidence whenever credible evidence is available, but who still include acupuncture as part of their health interventions, should seriously revise their practice. There is no place for acupuncture in medicine.

• For many years, proponents have cited as supporting evidence a World Health Organization (WHO) report that listed over 90 conditions for which acupuncture was supposedly effective. In 2014, however, this this report withdrawn in response to substantial evidence contradicting the WHO's advice, including Cochrane Collaboration reviews that shredded the majority of claims.

—For further reading: Ten Things You Need To Know About Acupuncture.

Dodgy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like SYZ's post
02-08-2016, 05:24 AM
RE: ACUPUNCTURE—Calls for banning in Australia
You do have to admire the practitioners of acupuncture -- much for the same reason you have to admire a tattoo artist......

They figured out how to get people to pay them to stick them with a needle..........

Now if I could just figure out how to get people to pay me to punch them in the mouth --- I'd be a happy (and richer) (actually the richer part would be the part that makes me happier) guy....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
02-08-2016, 08:44 AM
(02-08-2016 05:24 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You do have to admire the practitioners of acupuncture -- much for the same reason you have to admire a tattoo artist......

They figured out how to get people to pay them to stick them with a needle..........

Now if I could just figure out how to get people to pay me to punch them in the mouth --- I'd be a happy (and richer) (actually the richer part would be the part that makes me happier) guy....

Big Grin

[Image: calvinandhobbes.png]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
03-08-2016, 10:49 PM
For some conditions that acupuncturists claimed to be effective for I didn't find helpful. But it really helped with pain in the ankle that years of physio failed to do
04-08-2016, 10:47 AM
(03-08-2016 10:49 PM)gever570 Wrote:  For some conditions that acupuncturists claimed to be effective for I didn't find helpful. But it really helped with pain in the ankle that years of physio failed to do

G'day, and a belated welcome to the forum. Smile

Firstly, it could've been that physiotherapy was inappropriate for your particular type of pain. The fact that you were receiving physio for "years" infers that you must've been getting some relief at least, otherwise you wouldn't have persevered for so long.

After numerous scientific tests, it's been determined that in all probability, acupuncture is just a theatrical placebo—which is not to say that it cannot work as such. It then becomes a matter of ethics; should a medical professional treat you (and charge you) for something that's known not to have any clinical benefits.

And you might like to read this funny story: Desperate Couple Have Miracle Baby After Acupuncture. (It's either a perfect example of post hoc reasoning or a lesson for men: we might be replaced by needles!)

Tongue

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
04-08-2016, 01:26 PM
I don't think banning it will really make any difference. Just let the idiots have their acupuncture and be done with it.
04-08-2016, 01:47 PM
Aetna covers both acupuncture and chiropractice for me. Must be something to it or my insurance wouldn't cover it. There are conditions though. I think they both have to be licensed MDs who are using them for ancillary treatment.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
04-08-2016, 01:49 PM
I've had acupuncture. It works as a great placebo effect for a few weeks. The difference is that I know it's a placebo effect and not a cure. But anyway, for the three or four weeks afterwards I feel pretty good. Tongue

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
04-08-2016, 04:54 PM
The problem is not just acupuncture.

All Traditional Chinese Medicine (including acupuncture) has no scientific basis whatsoever.
Homeopathy
Chiropractors
Many home remedies

Mostly unfounded garbage.
As long as you live in a modern society, with plenty of qualified proper doctors and people know that "alternative" medicine is just that "an unlikely alternative" then it is their own stupidity or desperation in going down that path.

I have major concerns with TCM because it hits close to home to me. And I see that the vast majority of Chinese see this not as "alternative" but the real deal, bona fide. For them it's not just a treatment when you are ill, it is a complete lifestyle, something they think about all the time.

If I was going to get all heavy handed I'd ban TCM (including acupuncture) but then, I'm not heavy handed. If people want to seek unproven, unscientific "medical" practices it is up to them. But I would try and stop the practicioners calling themselves "doctors"
04-08-2016, 05:58 PM
(04-08-2016 01:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Aetna covers both acupuncture and chiropractice for me. Must be something to it or my insurance wouldn't cover it. There are conditions though. I think they both have to be licensed MDs who are using them for ancillary treatment.
It's easier to pay the bills than fight the woo. I know I used to work auto claims for St*te F*rm.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post