ADHD/ADD

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2014, 12:17 AM
ADHD/ADD
Is ADHD even real? Or is it just a ploy by the pharmaceutical companies to push out more drugs so people don't have to parent properly?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2014, 12:32 AM
RE: ADHD/ADD
It is real.

Like any other label, it is a term used for a combination of symptoms.

It is therefore like a problem statement e.g. Something wrong with the....

Which then triggers research into finding workarounds for the symptoms and the investigation and diagnosis of the root cause of the disorder.

The pharmaceutical companies produce drugs that may help address the symptoms and they are demand-driven.

We used dietary techniques to manage the symptoms and avoided the palliative drugs.

Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
27-01-2014, 12:35 AM
ADHD is certainly real, but treatment through simply changing diet is preferable to medication in my opinion.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
27-01-2014, 12:40 AM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2014 12:46 AM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
Here we go again. What do you think BQ, is ADHD just another excuse for poor parenting, driven by drug manufacturers
or do you question if it's 'even' real?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-01-2014, 01:25 AM
ADHD is a term for today, not 70 years or more ago (most of human history). Certain behavior types do not fit into advanced, first world social systems and educational systems that require kids to sit and focus for long periods of time; recesses are in most schools severely restricted and even nonexistent in many of our schools.

Another contributing cause may be the inability of schools to enforce effective discipline and a lack of responsible parenting. In the U.S. our teachers face vilification from parents and media. For a teacher to get a cheer, she must die while protecting her student from a gunman.

We also let these kids know expectation for them is low through the diagnosis of ADHD, and we provide disability support payments in the U.S. for ADHD. There is quite a bit of support and yes monitory gain by schools and pharmaceuticals.

I do believe in the end we, as a culture and to make excuses, created ADHD.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
27-01-2014, 01:59 AM
(27-01-2014 01:25 AM)Dee Wrote:  ADHD is a term for today, not 70 years or more ago (most of human history). Certain behavior types do not fit into advanced, first world social systems and educational systems that require kids to sit and focus for long periods of time; recesses are in most schools severely restricted and even nonexistent in many of our schools.

Another contributing cause may be the inability of schools to enforce effective discipline and a lack of responsible parenting. In the U.S. our teachers face vilification from parents and media. For a teacher to get a cheer, she must die while protecting her student from a gunman.

We also let these kids know expectation for them is low through the diagnosis of ADHD, and we provide disability support payments in the U.S. for ADHD. There is quite a bit of support and yes monitory gain by schools and pharmaceuticals.

You are wrong. Live with a child who has this combination of symptoms for 10 mins and you will change your mind.

You may have identified some contributing factors but your conclusion demonstrates ignorance!

Drinking Beverage

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
27-01-2014, 02:02 AM
(27-01-2014 01:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 01:25 AM)Dee Wrote:  ADHD is a term for today, not 70 years or more ago (most of human history). Certain behavior types do not fit into advanced, first world social systems and educational systems that require kids to sit and focus for long periods of time; recesses are in most schools severely restricted and even nonexistent in many of our schools.

You are wrong. Live with a child who has this combination of symptoms for 10 mins and you will change your mind.

You may have identified some contributing factors but your conclusion demonstrates ignorance!

Drinking Beverage

Bowing Yes! Thank you DLJ.

27-01-2014, 02:06 AM
(27-01-2014 12:40 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Here we go again. What do you think BQ, is ADHD just another excuse for poor parenting, driven by drug manufacturers

Personally I'm not sure, do I think there are people out there with such disorders I don't know. But it seems to like an excuse for kids to be dicks and not be disciplined for it. that just really bothers me, I'm blind but I can't just go knocking stuff over or bumping into people because I can't see. They should be held to the same standard of behavior disability or none.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-01-2014, 02:16 AM
(27-01-2014 02:06 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 12:40 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Here we go again. What do you think BQ, is ADHD just another excuse for poor parenting, driven by drug manufacturers

Personally I'm not sure, do I think there are people out there with such disorders I don't know. But it seems to like an excuse for kids to be dicks and not be disciplined for it. that just really bothers me, I'm blind but I can't just go knocking stuff over or bumping into people because I can't see. They should be held to the same standard of behavior disability or none.

Did you read what I wrote?

If you want to discuss the consequences (on a child and those around them) of labeling, of course you (probably more than anyone here) have every right.

But please note that there are parents (and siblings) on here (two of whom have responded to you) with children on the autistic spectrum and I think I can speak for Moms when I say that we are well-versed and not a little defensive when it comes to "... well I don't know but here's my amateur opinion..."

Angry

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
27-01-2014, 02:18 AM
(27-01-2014 02:06 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  

Not all disabilities are obvious. I didn't realize there was a standard of behavior that covers all disabilities -- can you explain what exactly that is?

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post