ADHD/ADD

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2014, 02:19 AM
RE: ADHD/ADD
DLJ,
I am not sure my conclusion demonstrates an ignorance exclusive to me. Frankly, the medical field is highly divisive on the subject and in diagnosing.

I also have experience dealing with ADHD diagnosed children and experience with several children in my family whom I have lived with.

Your conclusion demonstrates your frustration!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2014, 02:22 AM
(27-01-2014 02:18 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 02:06 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Personally I'm not sure, do I think there are people out there with such disorders I don't know. But it seems to like an excuse for kids to be dicks and not be disciplined for it. that just really bothers me, I'm blind but I can't just go knocking stuff over or bumping into people because I can't see. They should be held to the same standard of behavior disability or none.

Not all disabilities are obvious. I didn't realize there was a standard of behavior that covers all disabilities -- can you explain what exactly that is?
I mean just because someone is disabled obvious or no that doesn't give them the right to do whatever they please because gosh darn they're "disabled" and can't help it
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-01-2014, 02:27 AM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2014 02:30 AM by BrokenQuill92.)
My friend Bobby has a disability that's not "obvious". He was hit by a truck while riding his bike home 8 years ago now he has a very poor short term memory. He needs alarms and reminders for everything.
27-01-2014, 02:30 AM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2014 02:58 AM by DLJ.)
(27-01-2014 02:19 AM)Dee Wrote:  DLJ,
I am not sure my conclusion demonstrates an ignorance exclusive to me. Frankly, the medical field is highly divisive on the subject and in diagnosing.

I also have experience dealing with ADHD diagnosed children and experience with several children in my family whom I have lived with.

It does.

And yes, I nearly wrote that there is ignorance in the professional realm too (but I needed a pee so clicked send too early perhaps).

So given this new information from you, I am even more perplexed that you would use an expression like "enforce effective discipline and a lack of responsible parenting" unless your intent was to illicit some ire.

Surely your knowledge of the subject would have tempered your response by at least mentioning neurochemistry or adding a disclaimer about the risks of misdiagnosis.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
27-01-2014, 02:39 AM
(27-01-2014 02:30 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 02:19 AM)Dee Wrote:  DLJ,

It does.

And yes, I nearly wrote that there is ignorance in the professional realm too (but I needed a pee so clicked send too early perhaps).

So given this new information from you, I am even more perplexed that you would use an expression like "enforce effective discipline and a lack of responsible parenting" unless your intent was illicit some ire.

Surely your knowledge of the subject would have tempered your response by at least mentioning neurochemistry or adding a disclaimer about the risks of misdiagnosis.

All I'm saying as I previously wrote is that if such a disability exist then people diagnosed with it need to learn to compensate properly
27-01-2014, 02:55 AM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2014 03:03 AM by Dee.)
DLJ,

Yeah, I did not explain that well at all. What I saw in too many of the parents while working with their ADHD diagnosed children was a refusal to understand that ADHD medication is a behavior modification drug that allows intervention for learning and to provide an environment for the child to respond to rules, regulations and consequences--discipline.

Discipline is not punishment!

Too many of my parents could not, would not, or did not want to put forth effort to work with their children. ADHD meds are a behavior modification drug and without discipline, the child will grow but not learn how to control herself.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
27-01-2014, 02:56 AM
(27-01-2014 02:39 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  ...
All I'm saying as I previously wrote is that if such a disability exist then people diagnosed with it need to learn to compensate properly

If only, that was all you are saying.

You do realise that it is a learning disability, don't you?

If one is unable to comprehend unspoken social signals and social norms how on earth can one compensate for something of which one has no awareness?

I asked if you had read what I wrote because of your continued use of the word "if".

There is no "if".

This combination of symptoms has been given a label. FACT!

The best ways to manage these symptoms ('compensation' techniques, if you must), the impact of the disorder on the individual and society and the scientific progress regarding root cause diagnosis are all valid topics but there simply is no "if".

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
27-01-2014, 03:06 AM
(27-01-2014 02:55 AM)Dee Wrote:  DLJ,

Yeah, I did not explain that well at all. What I saw in too many of the parents while working with their ADHD diagnosed children was a refusal to understand that ADHD medication is a behavior modification drug that allows intervention for learning and to provide an environment for the child to respond to rules, regulations and consequences--discipline.

Discipline is not punishment!

Too many of my parents could not, would not, or did not want to put forth effort to work with their children. ADHD meds are a behavior medication drug and without discipline, the child will grow but not learn how to control herself.

OK, we have found common ground.

We didn't use meds. Dietary change had a dramatic enough effect.

Getting food stuffs directly from local farms (to avoid the processing chain) was a financial strain that was probably a main contributing factor to the stresses on our marriage but I have never doubted that we took the right approach.

Without knowing the outcome, we chose 'healthy children / broken marriage" over "drugged and stupefied children / unbroken marriage".

I did not blame the other parents we met along the way for going for the drugs option... I could see the strain they were under too.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
27-01-2014, 03:15 AM
Oh there are so many things. First off, what person in their right mind would call a child a dick? That to me is completely ridiculous. Secondly, who are you to say that a child with a disability that you quite obviously know nothing about needs to learn to compensate? Ugh. I don't know why I even bother opening your threads. You should stick to the trivial yay I love redhead posts. I wonder how you would feel if someone made a thread titled "those damned blind people are so self centered"....
This could be a completely innocent question. A person just trying to learn about things they don't understand, and then as usual you have to ruin it by being completely insensitive.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
27-01-2014, 04:28 AM
(27-01-2014 03:15 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Oh there are so many things. First off, what person in their right mind would call a child a dick? That to me is completely ridiculous. Secondly, who are you to say that a child with a disability that you quite obviously know nothing about needs to learn to compensate? Ugh. I don't know why I even bother opening your threads. You should stick to the trivial yay I love redhead posts. I wonder how you would feel if someone made a thread titled "those damned blind people are so self centered"....
This could be a completely innocent question. A person just trying to learn about things they don't understand, and then as usual you have to ruin it by being completely insensitive.
Oh quit trying feel all misunderstood! The "pills and therapy" approach doesn't seem to work on everyone. When I say compensate I mean learn to deal with the disability so it limits imcumberment in daily life something people with ADHD have obviously not yet figured out how to do yet.

And I've already discussed the "blind bubble effect" so why bring it up here I don't know. Did you just come to this thread to whine about my bluntness or did you have some meaningful input?
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post