ADHD/ADD

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2014, 04:46 AM
RE: ADHD/ADD
(27-01-2014 04:28 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 03:15 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Oh there are so many things. First off, what person in their right mind would call a child a dick? That to me is completely ridiculous. Secondly, who are you to say that a child with a disability that you quite obviously know nothing about needs to learn to compensate? Ugh. I don't know why I even bother opening your threads. You should stick to the trivial yay I love redhead posts. I wonder how you would feel if someone made a thread titled "those damned blind people are so self centered"....
This could be a completely innocent question. A person just trying to learn about things they don't understand, and then as usual you have to ruin it by being completely insensitive.
Oh quit trying feel all misunderstood! The "pills and therapy" approach doesn't seem to work on everyone. When I say compensate I mean learn to deal with the disability so it limits imcumberment in daily life something people with ADHD have obviously not yet figured out how to do yet.

And I've already discussed the "blind bubble effect" so why bring it up here I don't know. Did you just come to this thread to whine about my bluntness or did you have some meaningful input?

I do not feel misunderstood. Why would I? I don't have ADHD. I will agree that the pills and therapy approach do not work on everyone. I certainly think the diet is the best approach and then go from there if that doesn't work or isn't an option. How many adults do you know that you can tell they have ADHD after spending a day with them? I have never met one. Children with ADHD have issues with their disability affecting their everyday lives. Most of my cousins went to a school that is just for deaf people because as children their disability made functioning in every day life difficult.

I must have missed the "blind bubble affect" thread. If it means crying about how deaf people are prejudice against you, and children with ADHD can act out but you're not allowed to knock stuff over, and white people aren't fixing racism then I would say you definitely have it. A lot of people are blunt, you are intentionally rude because you like to cause drama.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
27-01-2014, 04:57 AM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2014 05:05 AM by BrokenQuill92.)
(27-01-2014 04:46 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 04:28 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Oh quit trying feel all misunderstood! The "pills and therapy" approach doesn't seem to work on everyone. When I say compensate I mean learn to deal with the disability so it limits imcumberment in daily life something people with ADHD have obviously not yet figured out how to do yet.

And I've already discussed the "blind bubble effect" so why bring it up here I don't know. Did you just come to this thread to whine about my bluntness or did you have some meaningful input?

I do not feel misunderstood. Why would I? I don't have ADHD. I will agree that the pills and therapy approach do not work on everyone. I certainly think the diet is the best approach and then go from there if that doesn't work or isn't an option. How many adults do you know that you can tell they have ADHD after spending a day with them? I have never met one. Children with ADHD have issues with their disability affecting their everyday lives. Most of my cousins went to a school that is just for deaf people because as children their disability made functioning in every day life difficult.

I must have missed the "blind bubble affect" thread. If it means crying about how deaf people are prejudice against you, and children with ADHD can act out but you're not allowed to knock stuff over, and white people aren't fixing racism then I would say you definitely have it. A lot of people are blunt, you are intentionally rude because you like to cause drama.

Nope you are overly sensitive because I point out things you don't like to hear and won't add honey to it make it easier to swallow. I'm not going to cuddle anyone's feelings when having a discussion, of course I'm not going to be cruel but really if you can't handle inquiries or someone disagreeing with u maybe this isn't the right place for you.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-01-2014, 05:13 AM
Well, here are my thoughts on this, purely personal observation and theory.

ADHD/ADD were not an issue when I grew up. Classrooms, starting in the first grade, were extremely focused, no fidgeting, no moving. You sat with your arms crossed on the desk where the teacher could see them, and you were ready to reply to anything anytime because questions came out of the blue. It was strict. I think kids with these disorders would have become obvious, no?

So, merely based on that, I am going to assume it is a fairly new issue. They say 1 in 88 kids is affected. That is a LOT!

So, where did it come from?

DLJ says that diet fixed/helped it in his experience.

I have the suspicion that it is diet caused.

The great majority of people, including pregnant women and children, eat a lot of processed foods. Just look at the labels - are you aware that there is little to no long term testing done on these chemicals? Not to mention that there is NO testing done on the interactions of all these chemicals. No one has dropped dead/developed an illness after consuming them for 6 months so they must be ok.

Well, one by one we isolate some that cause cancer. Even then the food industry does not have to quit using them, it's voluntary, and sometimes a warning label is enforced. Add in the packaging - leeching plastics of ever changing consistency.

We did not evolve to process any of this stuff, this is a new, vast number of chemicals introduced intensively into our bodies.

My guess is that the food supply causes/encourages chemical imbalances in our bodies. Some of us will be more sensitive to it than others.

I am not at all surprised that disorders and allergies are constantly increasing in numbers.

I think DLJ is making a very good point here - diet matters. A lot. Pregnant women are told not to smoke and drink. They are not told to eat natural foods only. Babies are fed chemicals routinely. My guess is that this will become a major issue as the population keeps expanding and foods need to be treated for storage and shipment. Not to mention artificial coloring and flavoring.

That's just my theory - I can't prove it or disprove it. All I know is that a lot more research into the chemicals we consume on a daily basis is needed.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
27-01-2014, 05:17 AM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2014 05:22 AM by Losty.)
(27-01-2014 04:57 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 04:46 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I do not feel misunderstood. Why would I? I don't have ADHD. I will agree that the pills and therapy approach do not work on everyone. I certainly think the diet is the best approach and then go from there if that doesn't work or isn't an option. How many adults do you know that you can tell they have ADHD after spending a day with them? I have never met one. Children with ADHD have issues with their disability affecting their everyday lives. Most of my cousins went to a school that is just for deaf people because as children their disability made functioning in every day life difficult.

Nope you are overly sensitive because I point out things you don't like to hear and won't add honey to it make it easier to swallow. I'm not going to cuddle anyone's feelings when having a discussion, of course I'm not going to be cruel but really if can't handle inquiries or someone disagreeing with u maybe this isn't the right place for you.

Don't bother to respond to the perfectly legitimate argument I made ok lol. That would make it look like you actually cared about the topic. I don't mind inquiries or disagreements. I also have no problem pointing out when someone acts like a middle schooler trying to incite drama.

Back on topic. I don't think any child should be judged on their ability to deal with their disability. Most children have a hard time functioning in the world regardless of whether or not they have a disability. Kids do stupid things, they act out, they misbehave, and I sometimes believe they rather enjoy driving us crazy lol. How come blind and deaf kids get to have their own schools while children with aspergers, autism, ADHD, etc. are expected to just deal with their disability and function properly in public schools?
I think all adults should be expected to compensate to the best of their abilities. I don't have any disabilities and I am no doctor so I personally never feel comfortable judging whether or not someone is doing their best or if they're using their disability as an excuse. I usually just give people the benefit of the doubt unless I know them personally. Anyways, I don't really think it's fair to hold a child to the same standard as an adult in any circumstances.
[+] 6 users Like Losty's post
27-01-2014, 05:20 AM
BQ,
Why so aggressive?

L&I's response to your woeful generalisation seems perfected reasonable...
(27-01-2014 04:57 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  ...
something people with ADHD have obviously not yet figured out how to do yet.
(27-01-2014 04:46 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  ...
How many adults do you know that you can tell they have ADHD after spending a day with them? I have never met one. Children with ADHD have issues with their disability affecting their everyday lives.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
27-01-2014, 05:33 AM
(27-01-2014 05:13 AM)Dom Wrote:  Well, here are my thoughts on this, purely personal observation and theory.

ADHD/ADD were not an issue when I grew up. Classrooms, starting in the first grade, were extremely focused, no fidgeting, no moving. You sat with your arms crossed on the desk where the teacher could see them, and you were ready to reply to anything anytime because questions came out of the blue. It was strict. I think kids with these disorders would have become obvious, no?

So, merely based on that, I am going to assume it is a fairly new issue. They say 1 in 88 kids is affected. That is a LOT!

The great majority of people, including pregnant women and children, eat a lot of processed foods. Just look at the labels - are you aware that there is little to no long term testing done on these chemicals? Not to mention that there is NO testing done on the interactions of all these chemicals. No one has dropped dead/developed an illness after consuming them for 6 months so they must be ok.

Well, one by one we isolate some that cause cancer. Even then the food industry does not have to quit using them, it's voluntary, and sometimes a warning label is enforced. Add in the packaging - leeching plastics of ever changing consistency.

We did not evolve to process any of this stuff, this is a new, vast number of chemicals introduced intensively into our bodies.

My guess is that the food supply causes/encourages chemical imbalances in our bodies. Some of us will be more sensitive to it than others.

I am not at all surprised that disorders and allergies are constantly increasing in numbers.

I think DLJ is making a very good point here - diet matters. A lot. Pregnant women are told not to smoke and drink. They are not told to eat natural foods only. Babies are fed chemicals routinely. My guess is that this will become a major issue as the population keeps expanding and foods need to be treated for storage and shipment. Not to mention artificial coloring and flavoring.

That's just my theory - I can't prove it or disprove it. All I know is that a lot more research into the chemicals we consume on a daily basis is needed.

I largely agree.

But it is perhaps older than we might think.

"Hans Asperger published a definition of autistic psychopathy in 1944 that was nearly identical with the definition published earlier by a Russian neurologist Grunya Sukhareva in 1926".

My father and mother, who have been in the education industry since the late 1940s told me with some shame and horror that they recognised the symptoms that my kids had in some of their students from 50 years earlier.

The treatment back then... as Dee mentioned... discipline!

I like to think that we are just living in more enlightened times.

I blame Flouridation Dodgy

Not really.

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
27-01-2014, 05:47 AM
(27-01-2014 05:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 05:13 AM)Dom Wrote:  Well, here are my thoughts on this, purely personal observation and theory.

I largely agree.

But it is perhaps older than we might think.

"Hans Asperger published a definition of autistic psychopathy in 1944 that was nearly identical with the definition published earlier by a Russian neurologist Grunya Sukhareva in 1926".

My father and mother, who have been in the education industry since the late 1940s told me with some shame and horror that they recognised the symptoms that my kids had in some of their students from 50 years earlier.

The treatment back then... as Dee mentioned... discipline!

I like to think that we are just living in more enlightened times.

I blame Flouridation Dodgy

Not really.

Not saying there were no natural occurrences of such chemical imbalances. Just not one kid in 88.

Like cancer and allergies - have been around a long time, just not as aggressive and wide spread.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
27-01-2014, 08:37 AM
(27-01-2014 02:30 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 02:19 AM)Dee Wrote:  DLJ,
I am not sure my conclusion demonstrates an ignorance exclusive to me. Frankly, the medical field is highly divisive on the subject and in diagnosing.

I also have experience dealing with ADHD diagnosed children and experience with several children in my family whom I have lived with.

Your conclusion demonstrates your frustration!

It does.

And yes, I nearly wrote that there is ignorance in the professional realm too (but I needed a pee so clicked send too early perhaps).

So given this new information from you, I am even more perplexed that you would use an expression like "enforce effective discipline and a lack of responsible parenting" unless your intent was to illicit elicit some ire.

Surely your knowledge of the subject would have tempered your response by at least mentioning neurochemistry or adding a disclaimer about the risks of misdiagnosis.

[Image: GrammarNaziTiny.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
27-01-2014, 08:42 AM

Maybe.

However, when I was a kid there were kids with behavioral problems. They were 'troublemakers' or 'inattentive' or 'disruptive' or many other labels.

These were kids that got notes sent home, got sent to the principal's office, got detentions, even got expelled.

It may be that our diet and environment are getting more poisonous and causing a higher incidence of problems, but there have likely been ADHD kids forever.

[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
27-01-2014, 08:45 AM
(27-01-2014 05:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I blame Flouridation Dodgy

Not really.

fluoridation [Image: GrammarNaziTiny.jpg]

Unless you mean too much white bread. Consider

[+] 3 users Like Chas's post