ADHD/ADD

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2014, 09:26 AM
RE: ADHD/ADD
(27-01-2014 12:17 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Is ADHD even real? Or is it just a ploy by the pharmaceutical companies to push out more drugs so people don't have to parent properly?

It's real. My little sister has it. Without her medication she fails in school, fights with other children and misbehaves terribly at home. She doesn't even listen to my mom, and she's so hyper she can't go to sleep early at night, even if we take sugar away from her.

When she's medicated, she behaves at school, gets along with other children, her grades increase, she's acts right at home and doesn't disobey my mom.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
27-01-2014, 09:39 AM
Those "disabilities" are real yes.

I do think however that its over-diagnosed. The medication is a "quick fix" that isn't always the best option. Should be a last resort. (in most cases) There are certainly children (and adults) out there that really need the medication to function however.

I work with people with DD and I have a very good idea of how doctors are more than happy to just throw medication at people that are "hard to handle" just to get them out of the office. I have to fight this all the time.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
27-01-2014, 09:51 AM
BTW. these same people I help out would be horrified at some of the generalizations I've see made on these threads.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
27-01-2014, 10:02 AM
I have ADHD. It's real, and not fun.
You ever see those jokes about ADHD people online? The ones where the guy is talking and then "SQUIRREL". Yeah, that's me. Sounds funny, but it's really not. It's affected my social life, family and work. I'm constantly forgetting things or not paying attention. Whenever I read a book I have to read a page two or three times because I can't retain all the information at once.
Now I've been medicated for about three years. I've just recently switched to Aderall from Metadate today. It does make a difference. Although there can be some serious side effects (why I switched medications)

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
27-01-2014, 01:10 PM
Hi, ADHD patient, AMA.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
[+] 1 user Likes Caveman's post
27-01-2014, 01:12 PM
(27-01-2014 01:10 PM)Caveman Wrote:  Hi, ADHD patient, AMA.

Hi Smile

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
28-01-2014, 12:22 PM
(27-01-2014 01:12 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 01:10 PM)Caveman Wrote:  Hi, ADHD patient, AMA.

Hi Smile

Hello
Ask Me Anything.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
28-01-2014, 12:47 PM
(28-01-2014 12:22 PM)Caveman Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 01:12 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Hi Smile

Hello
Ask Me Anything.

OK.

Let's start with the easy one...

What is the cause?

28-01-2014, 01:56 PM
(28-01-2014 12:22 PM)Caveman Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 01:12 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Hi Smile

Hello
Ask Me Anything.

Hmmm...
How is it diagnosed?
Is there a way to test for it?
How likely is someone to be misdiagnosed with ADHD?
Do you think having ADHD limits or inhibits your ability to function in every day life?
Can you tell us the differences between having ADHD as a child and having ADHD as an adult?
How how old were you when you were diagnosed?
Ok I have more but I will stop with that for now.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
28-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Does it limit the things you do and how and why?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man