28-01-2014, 02:49 PM
RE: ADHD/ADD
(28-01-2014 01:56 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 12:22 PM)Caveman Wrote:  Hello
Ask Me Anything.

Hmmm...
How is it diagnosed?
Is there a way to test for it?
How likely is someone to be misdiagnosed with ADHD?
Do you think having ADHD limits or inhibits your ability to function in every day life?
Can you tell us the differences between having ADHD as a child and having ADHD as an adult?
How how old were you when you were diagnosed?
Ok I have more but I will stop with that for now.

Psychiatrist normally.
Yes. (used google for multiple answers, not to be a smartass)
Fairly easily, but normally it's do to another disability (as far as I know)
You basically learn to control your urges. You sometimes grow out of a few habits, but not all.
I think 6? I've been diagnosed twice, the second time I was 15.

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2014, 02:58 PM
(28-01-2014 02:14 PM)Dom Wrote:  Does it limit the things you do and how and why?

YES!
I can't focus worth a damn.
For example: I love computers. Programming fascinates me. Though if I'm not on my meds I swear I'm bored and want to do something else before my computer boots up. I'm constantly daydreaming, thinking about random stuff, I never sit still (normally shake my legs constantly), I don't do well under supervision, etc.
I'm constantly forgetting things or remembering stuff wrong, which has affected relationships, my job, and my behavior is a running joke in my family.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
28-01-2014, 03:08 PM
Should I make an "ask an ADHD kid" thread? Laugh out load

Atir aissom atir imon
28-01-2014, 03:09 PM
I don't see why not
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-01-2014, 03:16 PM
(28-01-2014 03:09 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I don't see why not

Just did. I'm not sure what there really is to ask though lol

Atir aissom atir imon
29-01-2014, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2014 03:25 PM by Caveman.)
(28-01-2014 12:47 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
Ask Me Anything.

OK.

Let's start with the easy one...

What is the cause?
Evolution.

(28-01-2014 02:14 PM)Dom Wrote:  Does it limit the things you do and how and why?

Not even slightly. (was my first answer, then when writing the answer below, I realised that might not be true).

(28-01-2014 01:56 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
Ask Me Anything.

Hmmm...
How is it diagnosed?
Do you think having ADHD limits or inhibits your ability to function in every day life?
Can you tell us the differences between having ADHD as a child and having ADHD as an adult?

1. EEG, behavioral tests, interviews.
2. Fairly, but the label has expanded over the years, doctors will grab the ADHD card far too quick.
3. I might have been. I called up my medical files years later and in the 1 entry that my family physician determines the patient having ADHD, he describes a completely different family. So either he was confused (likely, he retired at 80-something only a few years later) or I might have been royally screwed.
4. I am fairly well off. I finished high school and technical college, but only by a hair. I have very little focus for something I am not deeply passionate about.
5. Because I was diagnosed and medicated at age 5 I have (as I determined later) a pretty noticable developmental lag on people my own age. I am a late bloomer. (what I tell myself to feel better if needed)
I was put on some pretty bad medication, Clonidine, and I became VERY quiet and obedient. Zombielike, really. It inhibits a LOT. I had no imagination, no energy, barely any ability to reason. No passion.
When I was 15 (12 years ago) the doctors said I was fine and should stop the meds. So we gradually built it off. Over the course of several months, I started talking to people, thinking about things, made my first friends.
Lost my virginity right before I turned 20.
When I look at others my age, they are married, some have kids, they're doing well.
I couldn't finish a bachelors degree, I'm in low level service jobs (though I'm working on breaking out of that right now) and I have no passion for anything or hobbies. Nor do I share any of the 'normal' interests of my friends, bars, beers, weed.
I have no idea what my life would be like if my body wasn't completely chemically conditioned to be calm.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
[+] 2 users Like Caveman's post
29-01-2014, 01:24 PM
(29-01-2014 01:09 PM)Caveman Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 12:47 PM)DLJ Wrote:  OK.

Let's start with the easy one...

What is the cause?
Evolution.

Not even slightly. (was my first answer, then when writing the answer below, I realised that might not be true).

(28-01-2014 01:56 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Hmmm...
How is it diagnosed?

1. EEG, behavioral tests, interviews.
2. Fairly, but the label has expanded over the years, doctors will grab the ADHD card far too quick.
3. I might have been. I called up my medical files years later and in the 1 entry that my family physician determines the patient having ADHD, he describes a completely different family. So either he was confused (likely, he retired at 80-something only a few years later) or I might have been royally screwed.
4. I am fairly well off. I finished high school and technical college, but only by a hair. I have very little focus for something I am not deeply passionate about.
5. Because I was diagnosed and medicated at age 5 I have (as I determined later) a pretty noticable developmental lag on people my own age. I am a late bloomer.
I was put on some pretty bad medication, Clonidine, and I became VERY quiet and obedient. Zombielike, really. It inhibits a LOT. I had no imagination, no energy, barely any ability to reason. No passion.
When I was 15 (12 years ago) the doctors said I was fine and should stop the meds. So we gradually built it off. Over the course of several months, I started talking to people, thinking about things, made my first friends.
Lost my virginity right before I turned 20.
When I look at others my age, they are married, some have kids, they're doing well.
I couldn't finish a bachelors degree, I'm in low level service jobs (though I'm working on breaking out of that right now) and I have no passion for anything or hobbies. Nor do I share any of the 'normal' interests of my friends, bars, beers, weed.
I have no idea what my life would be like if my body wasn't completely chemically conditioned to be calm.

Minus the meds, you've just described my life!

FFS!
Sad

29-01-2014, 05:20 PM
What is FFS and IIRC?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
29-01-2014, 05:23 PM
Caveman, do you think it's harder for people tell you have ADHD now that you're an adult? Do you think people use ADHD as an excuse to act like "dicks"?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
29-01-2014, 05:34 PM
(29-01-2014 05:20 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  What is FFS and IIRC?

For Fuck's Sake
If I Recall Correctly

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post