ADHD

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2013, 03:37 PM
RE: ADHD
Funny this is a topic--- I was just on FB and its a debate there. Specifically parents getting SSI for their kids after getting this diagnosis... I think it's just another way to be lazy ass parents and using there kids like welfare.

Wisdom from my eldest "Life's short... Get stoned!"
[Image: tumblr_m988n0gSY21r984nlo1_500.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes AlaskaMom's post
25-05-2013, 08:35 PM
(24-05-2013 01:47 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Yes I do think it's over diagnosed. However I know I have it after denying my diagnosis for a few years.

However it's not a "fad". Just google adhd brain scans and you can see the difference in brain activity for yourself.

Also I should add a note. When a new disease gets described the amount of people having said disease goes up for reasons that should be obvious.
This is a reason I rarely mention that I was diagnosed with Asperger's many years ago unless I have good reason: because now it's supposedly "popular" and everyone just assumes anyone claiming to have it has no idea and is self-diagnosing to seem "cool.'

I do believe ADHD is a thing, though. I've had medications that caused side-effects similar to ADHD, so it's not much of a stretch to imagine people with those same symptoms from other causes. And just because something is possibly over-diagnosed (medically and self diagnosis) doesn't mean it's not real, which some people seem to imply.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
27-05-2013, 09:10 PM
ADHD is a new diagnosis that presents an opportunity to big pharma to sell medications. That's it.

The new market will be "mental disorders" and of course, you all must be under some kind of medications. A big business, as always.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
27-05-2013, 09:14 PM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2013 12:29 AM by fstratzero.)
(27-05-2013 09:10 PM)KVron Wrote:  ADHD is a new diagnosis that presents an opportunity to big pharma to sell medications. That's it.

The new market will be "mental disorders" and of course, you all must be under some kind of medications. A big business, as always.

Um no.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3245028/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3280610/

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/welcome/fea...mind_adhd/

http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/childhood-...ifferences

http://www.bnl.gov/newsroom/news.php?a=11541

http://newideas.net/adhd-stress-children-brain-scans

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
27-05-2013, 10:53 PM
(27-05-2013 09:14 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(27-05-2013 09:10 PM)KVron Wrote:  ADHD is a new diagnosis that presents an opportunity to big pharma to sell medications. That's it.

Um no.

I get that the inference here is that ADHD isn't a real condition. However, he didn't explicitly say that. And, ADHD diagnoses has risen demonstrably in the last few decades and the result has been opportunities for pharmaceutical companies to capitalize on a new drug market.

I won't argue that psychotropics can't help anyone but the truth is that there are no objective biological tests that can prove a need for a certain drug. Nor are there any tests that demonstrate repeatable biological results of specific mental disorders.

Moreover, these drugs are known to cause a significant increase in suicidal tendencies among teens and people in their twenties.

We avoid giving certain drugs to infants and toddlers because we know their organs are still developing and we don't want to interfere with that development. Well, the human brain takes about a quarter century to develop so, it would seem to me at least, very irresponsible to tinker with the chemical makeup of a developing organ.

Lastly, kids who suffer from ADHD tend to excel outside the conventional (antiquated) school environment. And for many of those whose parents are not together, ADHD symptoms are reduced and often times disappear when they're in the company of their fathers.

Broken legs don't disappear and then reappear later...

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
28-05-2013, 12:19 AM

I agree with you for the most part except I do believe that there are is a small percentage of kids who actually have ADHD, previously ADD, previously Hyperactivity. I think what happened was back in the day kids who acted out were called brats. Parents don't like their kids being called brats, teachers don't like having brats in their classrooms and the drug companies make much money by all these kids being put on drugs,so all that equals..put the kid on drugs....everyone's happy. I think it's the same with depression. I think a very small percentage of people have a true chemical imbalance that causes them to be depressed and the majority of people have situational depression. My sister has been on Valium since she was old enough to walk into a doctor's office and said, "I'm depressed." She says she can't live without it because she has a chemical imbalance. Maybe, maybe not. I've always been somewhat depressed but I figure it's situational depression. We both grew up in the same fucked up, dysfunctional household. LOL.
[+] 1 user Likes Lulu344's post
28-05-2013, 12:30 AM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2013 12:48 AM by fstratzero.)
(27-05-2013 10:53 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(27-05-2013 09:14 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Um no.

I get that the inference here is that ADHD isn't a real condition. However, he didn't explicitly say that. And, ADHD diagnoses has risen demonstrably in the last few decades and the result has been opportunities for pharmaceutical companies to capitalize on a new drug market.

I won't argue that psychotropics can't help anyone but the truth is that there are no objective biological tests that can prove a need for a certain drug. Nor are there any tests that demonstrate repeatable biological results of specific mental disorders.

Moreover, these drugs are known to cause a significant increase in suicidal tendencies among teens and people in their twenties.

We avoid giving certain drugs to infants and toddlers because we know their organs are still developing and we don't want to interfere with that development. Well, the human brain takes about a quarter century to develop so, it would seem to me at least, very irresponsible to tinker with the chemical makeup of a developing organ.

Lastly, kids who suffer from ADHD tend to excel outside the conventional (antiquated) school environment. And for many of those whose parents are not together, ADHD symptoms are reduced and often times disappear when they're in the company of their fathers.

So where is your evidence?

According to these peer review journal it does exist. It is real and does effect people. About 60% of these people will continue to have ADHD in adult hood.

Now why do kids excel outside of the school environment? Perhaps its because the can do well in short bursts of attention but cannot sustain their attention in class. Which is one of the defining problems.

I agree with you on giving psychiatric medications to children.

As with your Dads as a cure for misbehavior. There is a documentary on this where fathers are present and effect the situation very little.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpX7RQtw4Ac

Finally broken legs do "disappear" it's called healing. They do reappear if you break them again.

This analogy fails. Some children develop differently neurologically speaking and develop out of it. The majority continue to have problems in adulthood, and may need medication.

http://www.biologicalpsychiatryjournal.c...1/abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19627998

http://www.nature.com/pr/journal/v69/n5-...1196a.html

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
28-05-2013, 12:46 AM
This is not a matter of opinion, no matter how much a person wants to *believe* that ADHD doesn't exist or doesn't exist as much as doctors/scientists/parent of children with ADHD/adults with ADHD think it exists.

Please read the links provided by fstratzero. In the meantime, ADHD naysayers are merely perpetuating false information and opinion that may be medically harmful to people.
[+] 2 users Like PurpleChimp's post
28-05-2013, 12:55 AM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2013 01:05 AM by fstratzero.)
(27-05-2013 10:53 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(27-05-2013 09:14 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Um no.

In your favor I will say that medication should be treated as a last resort, not the first step in treatment.

I'm one of those that did everything except take meds, until I could no longer reject my diagnosis.

-Baron d'Holbach-
28-05-2013, 09:24 AM
No, I didn't say there was no a condition named "ADHD".
But since when it requires meds?
There's an increase in mental diseases diagnostics and of course, mental meds (1,2).

Now, there's a big possibility that any of us would be diagnosed with some kind of mental illness and be put under treatment just for being "too" hyperactive... just take a look at these list of mental disorders.
Hell, maybe being an atheist is some kind of mental disorder and we should take our meds!! (Yes, we could be diagnosed with "Opossitional Defiant Disorder" applied to adults).

BTW, don't forget Inappropriate Prescribing:
Quote:Research shows that all too often, Americans are taking medications that may not work or may be inappropriate for their mental health problems.

Today, patients often receive psychotropic medications without being evaluated by a mental health professional, according to a study last year by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Many Americans visit their primary-care physicians and may walk away with a prescription for an antidepressant or other drugs without being aware of other evidence-based treatments — such as cognitive behavioral therapy — that might work better for them without the risk of side effects.
Full article: http://www.apa.org/monitor/2012/06/prescribing.aspx

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]