AI Learning To Make Other AI

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2017, 12:29 PM
AI Learning To Make Other AI
Should we prepare for more angry and resentful voters?

The biggest sector to be hit by the proliferation of automation will be manufacturing, especially in the developing world. President Obama even mentioned automation in his farewell address. “But the next wave of economic dislocations won’t come from overseas. It will come from the relentless pace of automation that makes a lot of good, middle-class jobs obsolete.” Industry experts tend to agree.

Even more, as this development indicates, not just low-skill jobs are on the chopping block. There are currently AI systems being developed that can replace film editors, songwriters, journalists, and much more. And now, with AI that is capable of creating AI better than humans, we all need to be a little more observant and aware of what’s on the horizon.

https://futurism.com/googles-ai-is-learn...-other-ai/

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
23-01-2017, 01:13 PM
RE: AI Learning To Make Other AI
I'm a programmer fully aware that I am the last of the breed. I'm starting to see them program themselves already.

#sigh
23-01-2017, 01:53 PM
The principal loss of jobs in this country is already due to automation. We need less and less people, especially those who perform rote assembly work. All those people could get jobs harvesting crops, but I'll bet it's beneath them. We've been depending on immigrant labor for that for decades, here in California. However, we are lacking on people in the skilled trades. Those careers don't require a university degree, but go begging because of the push for higher education. And, they pay pretty well.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
01-02-2017, 03:55 PM
A bunch of rich atheists talking about this very topic a month or so ago.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-02-2017, 06:59 PM
If AI has the potential to "replace film editors, songwriters, journalists, and much more" then could AI possibly replace those who make policy? Could the "vice president in charge of AI" be an AI? Could CEOs be AIs? Could politicians be AIs?

Whether or not it comes to that extreme it seems inevitable that the use of human labor in the production of goods and services will come to an end or at least become minimal. This in turn must signal an end to employment in the labor force as the primary source of income, i.e., money, for most of the population. This in turn means that that either (1)most of the population will live at a subsistence level dependent on the largess of the wealthy for their very existence, or (2)personal wealth, i.e., money, as the determining factor in a person's right to share in goods and services, must end.

Admittedly these two options are not the only possibilities buy as I see it any other possibilities must be a compromise between these two. I think it will come down to these extremes.

Note that I am not advocating anything.

#1 is impossible in a democracy. Voters will not vote for a candidate who says "Sorry, folks. You're going to have to suck it up and get used to it."

#2, or a variant of it, might come in the form of a robot tax. If a person's income from labor is taxable, why not the robot's? This would require some way of determining what qualifies as a robot and some way of measuring the robot's economic contribution. Governments may have to implement some version of this to replace income taxes on wages as their primary source of revenue.

Sapere aude
05-02-2017, 07:05 PM
My vote goes for tech above all else. I figure either I'll have robot slaves doing everything for me by the time I retire while I alternate between hiking, video games, and having sex with my robots, or I'll get to fight in the war against the machines. Either way is awesome.

'Murican Canadian
05-02-2017, 07:08 PM
(05-02-2017 07:05 PM)yakherder Wrote:  My vote goes for tech above all else. I figure either I'll have robot slaves doing everything for me by the time I retire while I alternate between hiking, video games, and having sex with my robots, or I'll get to fight in the war against the machines. Either way is awesome.

Why not both? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-02-2017, 07:11 PM
(05-02-2017 07:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-02-2017 07:05 PM)yakherder Wrote:  My vote goes for tech above all else. I figure either I'll have robot slaves doing everything for me by the time I retire while I alternate between hiking, video games, and having sex with my robots, or I'll get to fight in the war against the machines. Either way is awesome.

Why not both? Consider

I wonder if the tradition of war brides would still be applicable.

'Murican Canadian
05-02-2017, 07:18 PM
(05-02-2017 07:05 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I figure either I'll have robot slaves doing everything for me by the time I retire while I alternate between hiking, video games, and having sex with my robots, ...
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/roxxxxy-love-robot/

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
05-02-2017, 07:26 PM
(05-02-2017 07:18 PM)f stop Wrote:  
(05-02-2017 07:05 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I figure either I'll have robot slaves doing everything for me by the time I retire while I alternate between hiking, video games, and having sex with my robots, ...
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/roxxxxy-love-robot/

I'm not even being sarcastic like usuall. I'm not embarrassed to admit that I'm anxious for sex robots to become a thing.

'Murican Canadian