AI changing religious indoctrination

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2017, 04:52 AM
AI changing religious indoctrination
Fascinating discussion on Software Engineering Daily podcast about the ways technology is creating new dangers for athiesm and changing the way we understand religion.

softwareengineeringdaily.com/2017/08/25/internet-extremism-with-lochlan-bloom/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2017, 09:52 AM
RE: AI changing religious indoctrination
Another troll? That's an hour long interview with no transcript within which the few minutes I clicked into at various points couldn't find any criticisms of atheism. Some excerpted quotes along those lines would be helpful if such criticisms exist in that discussion. Clunking an hour long audio onto the forum with what appears to be a deceptive title is not the best start in a forum like this.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
11-09-2017, 10:02 AM
Don't care about OP because they're probably a troll, but realistically if an AI became smarter than humans, humans would probably form a new religion around it. Especially the transhumanists.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
11-09-2017, 12:01 PM
It would seem to me that advanced technology would foster non-religious answers. We learn that no gods are needed when we figure things out.
11-09-2017, 04:30 PM
Not going to listen to a long video either, but the summary seems to be making the point that Google wants to redirect people searching for violent content, to peaceful content. I would like to think that Google isn't that dumb. What if I am opposed to violence, but want to research it, for example?

I would not support such a notion, because who gets to decide what is forbidden speech, or what to do about it? Maybe atheists should be redirected to church websites by that logic. And maybe that was the OP's point, if they had one.
11-09-2017, 04:33 PM
(11-09-2017 10:02 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Don't care about OP because they're probably a troll, but realistically if an AI became smarter than humans, humans would probably form a new religion around it. Especially the transhumanists.

Or the AI will construct its own religion. Yes

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
11-09-2017, 06:07 PM
[Image: i-smell-a-troll-jpg.55971]

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
12-09-2017, 12:49 AM
The fantasy of the AI singularity has almost become a religion already with its prophets of doom, arguments from authority and hopes of immortality by uploading your consciousness.
12-09-2017, 06:55 AM
(12-09-2017 12:49 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  The fantasy of the AI singularity has almost become a religion already with its prophets of doom, arguments from authority and hopes of immortality by uploading your consciousness.

By prophets of doom do you mean Elon Musk? How's he being 'religious' about it? He just thinks there are huge dangers involved with AI which there are.

12-09-2017, 07:05 AM
(12-09-2017 06:55 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(12-09-2017 12:49 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  The fantasy of the AI singularity has almost become a religion already with its prophets of doom, arguments from authority and hopes of immortality by uploading your consciousness.

By prophets of doom do you mean Elon Musk? How's he being 'religious' about it? He just thinks there are huge dangers involved with AI which there are.

Elon Musk, Stephen Hawking, Sam Harris and their ilk don't understand much at all about AI. They certainly do not have first hand practical experience researching it or are too familiar with its history. I am not saying that they are being religious about it. I am saying that they are being held up as prophets by people who hang on their every word and repeat what they hear as an argument from authority without regard for whether they actually know what they are talking about.

Yes there are dangers with AI, none of which are described by the prophets of doom described above.