AI consciousness - clean or messy ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2017, 02:05 AM
RE: AI consciousness - clean or messy ?
(10-01-2017 12:03 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-01-2017 10:21 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  ...

I now agree. I think consciousness is something that will emerge and not something that we can simply engineer.

I disagree.

You're an IT guy, right?

It's about pattern recognition (baseline memory) and monitoring and event/alert systems.

All we (humans) need are three VMs (or simulators as HoC calls them): self, other and future.

We have different degrees of consciousness: Sleep, daydreaming, coma, aware, awake.

Consciousness is the high alert status (the (patterns of) event(s) that gets our high priority attention).

We switch off this high energy consuming monitoring system when we sleep, while our low energy monitoring systems (immune system, digestion etc.) keep on processing ... usually as jumbled data mismatching against the 3 VMs i.e. dreams.

Wink

Mate.

C'mon over here where nobody'll hear us.....

Listen, mate, it gets to the point there you're just showing off.

You get that, right?

Mate, seriously!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
11-01-2017, 09:09 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2017 09:16 AM by GirlyMan.)
(11-01-2017 01:58 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 11:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Some would argue that a 13 yo Ukrainian boy named Eugene Gootsman has already passed the Turing Test. I think I would agree but that's more a comment on the complete inadequacy of the "test" as little more than parlor tricks than anything else.

I would argue that it hasn't passed the Turing test.
A chatbot of a 4 month old child that cried and slept would probably pass the test too. Smile

The Turing Test is not a test of intelligence or consciousness, it is a test of whether or not I am clever enough to write a program that can fool you into thinking I am a 13-year old Ukraininan boy sight unseen. If I can convince a majority of the experimental participants, I have passed the test. Other than that of the programmers and the experiment participants, it has nothing to do with intelligence or consciousness.

#sigh
11-01-2017, 01:50 PM
(11-01-2017 09:09 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The Turing Test is not a test of intelligence or consciousness, it is a test of whether or not I am clever enough to write a program that can fool you into thinking I am a 13-year old Ukraininan boy sight unseen. If I can convince a majority of the experimental participants, I have passed the test. Other than that of the programmers and the experiment participants, it has nothing to do with intelligence or consciousness.
The Turning Test was, if memory serves, proposed in the early 1950s, and it was a visionary stretch for its day. I agree that it is not that meaningful today as typically applied; it is already easy to fool a subject into thinking they are talking with a human in contrived situations, such as a limited knowledge / topic domain. I have no doubt that had Turning lived to die a natural death (and his brain had not been fried by chemical castration) he would have clarified and refined his test to require the simulation of a general-purpose sentience that is versatile and can improvise. Instead it has been turned into a static, sacred totem.