ALCOHOL

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2011, 07:55 AM
RE: ALCOHOL
I wonder if that falls under the phrase "A Norse is a Norse, of course of course". And everyone over here in the US would like to believe alcohol isn't a problem in Europe. Are you telling me everyone's stereotypes are wrong? Wrong stereotypes?!?!?! What will we do?

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2011, 10:08 AM
My history and religion teacher (the same guy who told that there's more evidence of the historicity of Jesus than of the historicity of Julius Cesar) said that in middle europe no-one drinks to get drunk. If you accidentally drink so much that it gets to your head, you make an excuse and go to sleep. And kids can buy wine from stores. He also said that he only saw 2 guys there who were drunk, and they both spoke Finnish.
I'm not buying it, I'm sure that they have drinking problems too, how else could they consume so much ethanol? Maybe he only hanged out with wealthy families with exquisite food, half full wine glasses and numb pinkies.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
20-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Actually a lot of baptist preachers in my country preach against alcohol and tobacco.
I don't even get why.In some pizza shops owned by their followers , the walls are covered in religious paintings and the only beer they serve is non-alcoholic.
I get why the guy was never drunk.
But Europe has its share of drunkards , let me tell you.
Russia actually banned 5 liter beer canisters because people were getting drunk too often.

As for your teacher kikko , if he claims there's more evidence for Jesus than Julius Caesar , the you can pretty much realize for yourself what standard of evidence the man has.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
21-03-2011, 02:12 PM
(20-03-2011 10:08 AM)Kikko Wrote:  He also said that he only saw 2 guys there who were drunk, and they both spoke Finnish.
I'm not buying it, I'm sure that they have drinking problems too, how else could they consume so much ethanol? Maybe he only hanged out with wealthy families with exquisite food, half full wine glasses and numb pinkies.
Wish I could speak Finn, might know another thing or two about my heritage. And hmm, if the Finns were the drunkards, that might explain a thing or two I already know about my heritage Big Grin
Numb pinkies. I love it.
(20-03-2011 12:53 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  But Europe has its share of drunkards , let me tell you.
Russia actually banned 5 liter beer canisters because people were getting drunk too often.
Glad to hear we're not alone in the US. We certainly like to party, there is no denying that, but at least we aren't the only sloppy embarrassments at the party.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
21-03-2011, 02:59 PM
(21-03-2011 02:12 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  Glad to hear we're not alone in the US. We certainly like to party, there is no denying that, but at least we aren't the only sloppy embarrassments at the party.

Well , you did come from Europe.At least you kept one part of your heritage - "drink,drink,drink" Big Grin

22-03-2011, 05:59 AM
Who ever told you that Europeans don't drink to get drunk obviously never went to Europe. We drink the same way everyone else drinks, to get pissed drunk, and we're lovin it. Specially here on Balkans, alcohol is a tradition, getting drunk is like a sport. So the same problems with alcohol can be found everywhere.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
22-03-2011, 07:56 AM
That teacher looked at everything he liked a bit too romantically, which isn't good for a history teacher. It was actully his anti-science speech that brought me to books and this forum.

The biggest alcohol consumers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cou...onsumption
Top 10:
Moldova
Chezh Rebublic
Hungary
Russia
Ukraine
Estonia
Andorra
Romania
Slovenia
Belarus
(11: Croatia)
Finland: 26th

Finnish drinking is a self-fed myth, it hasn't always been as common as it is nowadays. The consumption per person is 4 times bigger now than it was in the 60's. Getting drunk used to be an earned weekend fun for those who did their job. ''A friday bottle'' used to be a big investment, but since prices and avaibility have increased, so has drinking.
The bad thing is that young people, from 7th grade to up, see drinking as a national property, almost as a duty (to quote a town-asshole: ''At least Finns know how to use booze the right way.'') Not drinking is weird, although drinking rates among 16-18 year old females and 16 year old males have started decreasing a bit.
I might actually translate a good artivce on the subject later.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
22-03-2011, 08:14 AM
@Filox
Balkans
Where you from ?
I'm from Romania Tongue

22-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Like Bubba J puts it, I don't have a drinking problem, I've got it pretty much figured out. Tongue

It's an old joke in the ship building industry that if you have a team of Finnish welders you give vodka to the welders doing horizontal welding ,and not to the ones doing vertical welding. The shaking from withdrawal makes for a natural pendulum motion.

It's funny if you know how to weld. Big Grin

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
22-03-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm guessing you do know how to weld ? Tongue

There's a saying in my country : "You're drunk when you lay flat on the ground and feel the need to hang on to something"