ALCOHOL

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2011, 12:06 AM
RE: ALCOHOL
(22-03-2011 04:20 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  I'm guessing you do know how to weld ? Tongue

There's a saying in my country : "You're drunk when you lay flat on the ground and feel the need to hang on to something"

That does sound like a good definition. Smile
I'm not a welder myself, but I have done enough of it to get the hang of the basics. I'm in the business of "doing anything the foreman tells me for money". thats pretty much the work description. Tongue So the more things I know the basics of, the better.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2011, 02:40 AM
@ gaglamesh731

I'm from Croatia. We drink a lot.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
23-03-2011, 05:58 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2011 06:03 AM by Lilith Pride.)
I had an addiction problem with soda so I pretty much just drink water. I'll try anything that's handed to me though. In Japan that meant I was handed large amounts of sake because the stupid tourists I was with didn't know what rice wine was. They marveled at my ability to drink it fine, especially the one who knows me well enough to realize I generally only drink water. I dislike alcohol because for me it's about 4 sips before the taste goes sour. Sake somehow manages to stay the same (maybe it's already sour?) so while I don't drink that's generally the one I'll do.

Usually if someone wants to buy me a drink I'll sip a fuzzy navel =p

But yeah in general I drink water alone, though I still seem drunk or high in most occasions.

My first drinking experience was a huge binge where I disliked the taste of alcohol, so I drank as much as I could to see what effects make it worth the taste. I felt exactly the same outside of losing my balance and ended the night in vomit, but no hangover. I think I would've had a hangover if I had limited myself. The end of my experiment was the realization that I don't have a reason to drink.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
23-03-2011, 06:45 AM
(23-03-2011 05:58 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Usually if someone wants to buy me a drink I'll sip a fuzzy navel =p

And would you mind terribly telling us exactly what that is? Sound horrible. Undecided

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
23-03-2011, 07:18 AM
(23-03-2011 02:40 AM)Filox Wrote:  @ gaglamesh731

I'm from Croatia. We drink a lot.

Never visited Croatia but I did visit Montenegro a while back.
As for drinking , well ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zahZ_MdLI4
(that's medicinal alcohol he's drinking Tongue)

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
23-03-2011, 08:07 AM
I've been reading this tread and contributing to it but I would like to tell my story as well

I love beer! I really do and I always have! I's a great stress relieve for me to walk into a shop, look at the different types of beer they sell (an that's ALOT in Belgium), Look at the ingredients, character and colour then buying one I don't know. At home I chill it for a few days while imagining how it will be like. later I pour it out in the correct shape of glass (I have a collection of different types). Sample the smell, dip my fingers into the foam to test if it's sticky...

And then I haven't even tasted it yet!

You know what... Call me a beer-snob if you like... I see it as a complement.

However...
After my divorce in 2007 and before I met my new wife, whenever I felt like I had to much sorrow on my mind I drank a 8° Chimay-blue. That helped, it really did. Sometimes I drank 2. On really, really shitty days 3...

Alcoholism runs strong in my family...
My grandmother said, grandfather was the only one in a family of 13 who didn't drink.
My father has it under control but only due to his strong personal discipline (I hope i inherited that) although he can't live without his daily dose of Leffe.
On my mother's side we had 3 deaths of liver-cancer.
And my brother... Shit! I hate to say it be he's drinking to prevent delirium! He's lost!

When my new wife and I where some weeks into our relationship we got into an argument about smoking (she was a n occasional smoker. I think smoking is a disgusting habit)
She asked me why I drank beer. I could not find of any other reason then to say "I like it", "it relaxes"me. Exactly the same reason why she liked to smoke. We agreed on how she would not smoke and I would stop drinking alcohol during week-time. After a few days it struck me... I found myself often opening the fridge, looking at the bottles. Then closing it back again.

I had formed a habit! It had sneaked up on me. Lucky for me, the habit was not an addiction... yet!

I began to think. How did I get here? How do I step out of this habit before I wake up one morning finding out that I have an alcohol-problem. My wife was clear: "As much as I love you, When you have an alcohol-problem I am NOT going to support you." She also learned me the ugly traps of alcohol
-I'd IS a hard-drug: Once you have an addiction, you can't just quit by stopping to drink it. You'll need medication. Daily people are brought into the hospital where she works with withdrawal Illness. (shaking, hallucination, liver crisis)
-it's socially accepted: It comes into your life as your friend (often even carried by a friend) but can become a horrible demon.
-It adapts to your tastes and comes disguised as something tasteful: Wine, beer,cocktails,... pick your favourite
First I changed to drinking tea instead of alcoholic beverages during the week. This was to get my mind of of it. The first months I counted the days until Friday. Later I drank tea on Friday as well. I rationed the beer available in house and did not buy more then 6 bottles every 14 days. Later that became 3 weeks. Slowly I got it under control.

I'm 3 years further now. Some weekends pass when I only drink one. And, You know what...It never tasted better!

Yesterday I bought myself "Grimbergen Goud" (gold). Blond, herb flavour cloudy8° Snow white foam. *drool*
Cheers!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
23-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Good deal, avoiding the alcoholism Observer. Runs in my family too. I've gone to the edge, looked down and walked away twice. Recently I feel like I'm slowly descending into it again though...
My friend is a beer snob, and is slowly turning me into one. Needless to say, a few days ago I just downloaded an app to track new beers I try. I'm slowly teaching myself to pick out subtle aromas and dig for hidden flavors in the brew. I mentioned this in an earlier post, I'm participating in a "world tour" that a local chain of bars has every year, it's allowing me to try a lot of awesome new things.
It's funny you should mention Chimay, I get to try the red one tomorrow. It's my first, my friend assures me all the Chimays are excellent. We are going for a special tapping of a keg of Dogfish Head's Burton Baton Imperial IPA, and Chimay is on my list of beers to try after.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
23-03-2011, 05:08 PM
I think this thread just went sour ... Sad

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
23-03-2011, 07:58 PM
(23-03-2011 06:45 AM)Norseman Wrote:  
(23-03-2011 05:58 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Usually if someone wants to buy me a drink I'll sip a fuzzy navel =p

And would you mind terribly telling us exactly what that is? Sound horrible. Undecided

Peach schnopps and orange juice. It's a girly drink.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
23-03-2011, 09:47 PM
(23-03-2011 05:08 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  I think this thread just went sour ... Sad
Meh, I don't think so. I think what Observer said stands as a testament to his will as a person, and to a person's ability to enjoy in moderation. Speaking of moderation:
Health Benefits of Drinking 1 a Day Smile
As for my personal spiral, it's my jobs fault. I have a drug test upcoming and can't smoke the ganja. So I drink too much instead Smile Terrible reason, I know, but once I can smoke again things will be better. Until then, it's moderation and enjoyment for me, not chugging and drunkenness. I just need to reaffirm this occasionally.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete