ALCOHOL

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2011, 11:02 PM
RE: ALCOHOL
OK - I'm clueless - what makes Belgian style beer special ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2011, 05:01 AM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2011 05:15 AM by Observer.)
Beer in Belgium

Picture of a small selection (+/- 10%) of Belgian beers

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
28-03-2011, 06:45 AM
I think I just fell in love. My drinking buddy bought me a 3 beer sampler pack last year from a Chicago brewer called Goose Island, all three were Belgian style ales. The first one, Sophie, was only 6.5% ABV, it was marvelous.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
28-03-2011, 01:30 PM
What do you guys know about Slovak beer ? I'm applying for a job there.
Anything worth trying ? Confused

Also , that picture of Belgian beer , I swear I would drink myself into a coma if allowed to sample as many types as I wanted Smile

28-03-2011, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2011 02:24 PM by Observer.)
(28-03-2011 01:30 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  What do you guys know about Slovak beer ? I'm applying for a job there.
Sorry, Only Belgian, French, German, Czech, Dutch, Swedish and Croatian tasted so far

(28-03-2011 01:30 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Also , that picture of Belgian beer , I swear I would drink myself into a coma if allowed to sample as many types as I wanted Smile

Just one a day Gaglamesh... Just one a day... Smile

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
28-03-2011, 03:23 PM
(28-03-2011 01:30 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  What do you guys know about Slovak beer ? I'm applying for a job there.
Only one I have heard of is called Zlaty Bazant. I have no idea how to pronounce it, but I know it means Golden Pheasant. I've not had the pleasure of trying it as I cannot seem to find it anywhere. I need to make the 25 minute drive to World Market and see if they have it some time.

Observer, remember the Goose Island brewery I mentioned above?
Shares being sold to Anheuser-Busch
Looks like they're being bought out by an over hyped, dirty water peddler. I have to get it while the gettin's good!

28-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Get a strategic supply cfhmagnet Tongue

28-03-2011, 09:28 PM
(28-03-2011 04:22 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Get a strategic supply cfhmagnet Tongue
If by strategic supply you mean buy that shit up while I still can, and then move on to the next store to purchase their supply, then yes, that is the plan Smile

29-03-2011, 12:33 AM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2011 12:41 AM by Observer.)
(28-03-2011 03:23 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  Observer, remember the Goose Island brewery I mentioned above?
Shares being sold to Anheuser-Busch
Looks like they're being bought out by an over hyped, dirty water peddler. I have to get it while the gettin's good!

a few years ago Interbrew merged with Bramah to form what is now AB-!nBev
The Brazilian Carlos Brito was put in charge. The man is more of a banker then a brewer. One of his first deeds what stating that the smaller brewery's need to close. Hoegaarden was one of them. The famous "hoegaardse witte" (clouded white beer)was moved to a much larger brewery in Liege.

They never got the same quality! They even introduced "Hoegaarden framboise" and "hoegaarden citroen"(raspberry and lemon) with added fruit flavour to mask the feeble flavour. That stuff tasted like shampoo and dish-washing liquid respectively"

After a while they re-opened Hoegaarden! Justice!!

They say the well-water over in Liege just wasn't the same quality. I'm sceptical about that. I'ts the same brewery that brews Jupiler. Belgium's most popular pilsner. besides, they imported trucks with Hoegaarden well-water and that didn't work either.

In my opinion: They've upset the master-brewers and betrayed their trait and tradition, so they sabotaged it a bit. Not on purpose, but they just lacked interest in delivering a quality product. One of the main ingredients of good beer is love for the trait. Although they have a lot under control, it still requires some alchemy to a certain degree.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
29-03-2011, 10:16 AM
I am curios - what makes a brewery uphold its tradition ?
Does it have to do with micro-brewery vs. mainstream ? Or is it more to do with the actual brewers and their family tradition ?