ALCOHOL

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2011, 02:17 PM
RE: ALCOHOL
(02-04-2011 01:56 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  OK - since you guys are experts on the subject of beer , I have to ask , which was the first nation historically , to brew beer ?
I don't call myself an expert, just an indulger Wink
5500 year-old Chemical Evidence of Beer
If you believe the NY Times, it dates back to Iran, circa 3500 BCE. I have a friend whose beer knowledge is much more extensive than mine and he was telling me about somebody attempting to brew beer from an ancient Chinese recipe they extrapolated from running a chemical analysis on an old jug. I'll ask him about it, see if he can provide a link and I'll get back to you.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2011, 03:44 PM
It's Saturday! Yay!!

I usually shop at a soft-discounter. Their policy is: Having the lowest prices in the neighborhood by limiting the choices. It's a philosophy I subscribe so I shop there. So what you see here is a "small" choice of Belgian beer. Wink

Today I choose "Gulden draak". Fancy shrink-warped bottle.
Strong! 10,5%! Sweet taste and very faint acid. Smooth to drink. Tasty but dangerous liquid due to it's smoothness/strongness. IMHO it lacks some character. 4/6

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
02-04-2011, 04:36 PM
@observer
Yeah I heard the "liquid bread" bit. Didn't know it came from the Egyptians.

@cfhm
That's one beer I would love to try any day of the week. Smile
Tell me how to buy some if he succeeds.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
02-04-2011, 07:00 PM
(02-04-2011 03:44 PM)The_observer Wrote:  Today I choose "Gulden draak". Fancy shrink-warped bottle.
Strong! 10,5%! Sweet taste and very faint acid. Smooth to drink. Tasty but dangerous liquid due to it's smoothness/strongness. IMHO it lacks some character. 4/6
Nice! I just got off working my two job day, so I'm pouring one of the last two bottles I have of my favorite beer-Lakefront's Holiday Spice Lager. My buddy bought a six pack and stashed it away at the end of the holiday season so he could give it to me for my birthday a month ago. An excellently smooth mix of bananas, citrus, hops and clove that needs a heavy pour for a decent head.
Gulden Draak is on my tour list, I should be hitting it up in late april or may. I've been looking forward to it, I hear good things. Hope you enjoy(ed)! And on a side note, your daughter is adorable.
(02-04-2011 04:36 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  @observer
Yeah I heard the "liquid bread" bit. Didn't know it came from the Egyptians.

@cfhm
That's one beer I would love to try any day of the week. Smile
Tell me how to buy some if he succeeds.
My friend hasn't gotten back to me, but if they succeed and distribute that stuff, I will certainly have my eye out for it.

02-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Keep an eye out for me too cfhmagnet. Tongue

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
03-04-2011, 02:17 AM
(02-04-2011 02:17 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  I have a friend whose beer knowledge is much more extensive than mine and he was telling me about somebody attempting to brew beer from an ancient Chinese recipe they extrapolated from running a chemical analysis on an old jug. I'll ask him about it, see if he can provide a link and I'll get back to you.
Thats intersting. I wonder if they already used spices like hop to give it flavour.

(02-04-2011 07:00 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  Nice! I just got off working my two job day, so I'm pouring one of the last two bottles I have of my favorite beer-Lakefront's Holiday Spice Lager.
I like the seasons-beer as well. heartwarming when it frezes. But as soon as thaw sets in the become to "heavy" to drink.

(02-04-2011 07:00 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  And on a side note, your daughter is adorable.
Thanks!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
03-04-2011, 07:57 AM
(03-04-2011 02:17 AM)The_observer Wrote:  
(02-04-2011 07:00 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  Nice! I just got off working my two job day, so I'm pouring one of the last two bottles I have of my favorite beer-Lakefront's Holiday Spice Lager.
I like the seasons-beer as well. heartwarming when it frezes. But as soon as thaw sets in the become to "heavy" to drink.
This one is different. The flavor flows better and it's not as heavy as most winter beers, it's more medium bodied and well-rounded. I could drink it any time of the year.

04-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Well, didn't expect to steer away from beer, lol, but I tried something new and alcoholic yesterday. It was a carbonated sake served cold from a local Japanese hibachi place. I have had warm sake (yum!) but never cold, and definitely never carbonated. It was like a champagne almost, slightly sweet ending, definitely tasty.

06-04-2011, 10:42 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2011 10:47 PM by SoCATrueAtheist.)
Beer and saki, separately or together in a saki bomb.

I don't handle most hard liquors well but something about raw fish enhances the effect of the saki without having to go over board and something about the saki enhances the taste of the fish.

I also love sangria maybe because it's light and has fruit in it.

TA
(12-12-2010 03:13 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I am at this very moment shrooming. So I guess that and weed is my poison. To each his own.

You're brave. Pot is one thing. Shrooming is a scary concept for me.
07-04-2011, 04:31 AM
Ahhh, fellow shroomer. I personally prefer LSD blotter, but shrooms are ok also. And as all of you can see on my avatar, I also smoke every day. Concerning alcohol, I drink beer and whiskey. I don't smoke cigarettes .

P.S.
You wouldn't believe how LSD or shrooms can open your eyes concerning religions... I know a guy who almost became a priest (roman-catholic), he finished theological college and was on his way of becoming one-of-them and then he tried LSD. Now he is the biggest atheist ever and he takes LSD and smokes weed regularly. So, it only took one dose to open his eyes. A dangerous one dose, but still, now he has seen the light and can be saved. All it took is a bit of risk.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson