ALCOHOL

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2011, 12:26 PM
RE: ALCOHOL
Got a new store that opened up about 30 minutes away from me, it's an offshoot of the Winking Lizard, the bar I've been frequenting. The store is called Lizardville, and its awesome because it has a bar IN the store so you can sip while you shop. I picked up 4 singles there yesterday, including an intriguing Belgian import I never even heard of. It was one of the last ones they had, it's called Fantome, and it says "biere artisanale sur lie" underneath that, which a French to English translator registered as "Craft beer on lees." It is an intriguing looking beer as it comes with a cork inside of a bottle cap, and says it's quite a famous saison with "mysterious ingredients" that recently earned a perfect 10 in an unnamed book about Belgian brewing.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2011, 01:59 PM
(24-04-2011 06:40 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  @observer
Couldn't help but notice your posts.
Don't get me started on the nationalist fanatics we have in the Europe. I swear I ooze liquid hate from every pore when I think about it.
It usually just boils down to enforcing a culture with force. If that's the only reason to keep "nations" and "cultures" then I think we have to really start thinking about what we're doing.
I think nationalism/patriotism is just another form of theism. I am planning on opening a topic about that but i am still poundering the form. I dont want to step on sensitive toes wearing safety-shoes
(24-04-2011 06:50 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  Just uncorked my Chimay Blue. Unfortunately I don't have the correct glass for it, as my collection of glasses is still fledgling, but I couldn't wait any longer.
what did you think of it?
(28-04-2011 12:26 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  It was one of the last ones they had, it's called Fantome, and it says "biere artisanale sur lie" underneath that, which a French to English translator registered as "Craft beer on lees." It is an intriguing looking beer as it comes with a cork inside of a bottle cap, and says it's quite a famous saison with "mysterious ingredients" that recently earned a perfect 10 in an unnamed book about Belgian brewing.
You're holding a bottle of liquid Belgian folklore there. Smile The cork under the cap keeps the beer from touching the metal of the cap. The cap itself prevents the cork from escaping during the fermentation. "Sur lie" means it is fermented inside the bottle. hence the cap and the no metal touchy thing...
"Fantome" is French and means ghost (phantom). It is a nod to the local castle ruins that is seat to be haunted.
more on wikipedia

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
28-04-2011, 02:14 PM
(28-04-2011 01:59 PM)The_observer Wrote:  
(24-04-2011 06:50 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  Just uncorked my Chimay Blue. Unfortunately I don't have the correct glass for it, as my collection of glasses is still fledgling, but I couldn't wait any longer.
what did you think of it?
Not as good as I had hoped. The flavors and aromas were extremely muted and difficult to pick out. I'm on the lookout for a proper glass before I try another bottle, because I want to give it another go.
(28-04-2011 01:59 PM)The_observer Wrote:  
(28-04-2011 12:26 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  It was one of the last ones they had, it's called Fantome, and it says "biere artisanale sur lie" underneath that, which a French to English translator registered as "Craft beer on lees." It is an intriguing looking beer as it comes with a cork inside of a bottle cap, and says it's quite a famous saison with "mysterious ingredients" that recently earned a perfect 10 in an unnamed book about Belgian brewing.
You're holding a bottle of liquid Belgian folklore there. Smile The cork under the cap keeps the beer from touching the metal of the cap. The cap itself prevents the cork from escaping during the fermentation. "Sur lie" means it is fermented inside the bottle. hence the cap and the no metal touchy thing...
"Fantome" is French and means ghost (phantom). It is a nod to the local castle ruins that is seat to be haunted.
more on wikipedia
Nice, thanks for the info. I'm holding on to it until my buddy can come over. Again, anticipation...
I have started cellaring beer now too. I have two 4-packs of Founder's Breakfast Stout that I'm holding onto. One for late november/early december and the other I'm holding onto longer. This is the first cellared beer I've ever tried, there was the tapping of a two year old keg that I attended last year, and it was amazing how just leaving it lie around pulls out the flavors of the malt, oatmeal, chocolate and coffee and just makes them flow beautifully over your tongue. The other beer I have stashed away is a 6 of my favorite, Lakefront's Holiday Spice Lager. I can't wait to taste last year's batch this december. Then of course I'll be picking up some of this year's batch to cellar, probably one 6 for a year and I'll try another for 2...
Have you ever cellared anything yourself Observer? If not, ever have the chance to try something that has been?

29-04-2011, 08:05 AM
(28-04-2011 02:14 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  Have you ever cellared anything yourself Observer? If not, ever have the chance to try something that has been?
Well... No, and I haven't tasted such beer either.
I guess it has to do with the fact that speciality beer is so readably available in Belgium that you just drink it and buy an other one the next time.

I think its a good idea.
Do you think it would work with Chimay-bleu?

Btw.
Quite possible that you did not really like it. As they say in south Belgium "Des gout et de couleurs 's endiscute pas" (tastes and colours are indebatable)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
29-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Due to health reasons unfortunately I am unable to drink alcohol anymore, but when I was able to, I LOVED Jagerbombs! It consists of half a glass of red bull or any energy drink that you have and a shot of Jagermeister. Get a group and stand in a circle with both drinks in your hand. On the count of three you then get the shot, drop the whole shot glass into the red bull drink and down in one!

Good times!

Quote:"Religion poisons everything." - Christopher Hitchens
29-04-2011, 10:51 AM
(29-04-2011 10:06 AM)Stefania Wrote:  Due to health reasons unfortunately I am unable to drink alcohol anymore, but when I was able to, I LOVED Jagerbombs! It consists of half a glass of red bull or any energy drink that you have and a shot of Jagermeister. Get a group and stand in a circle with both drinks in your hand. On the count of three you then get the shot, drop the whole shot glass into the red bull drink and down in one!

Good times!

No offense , but isn't it a bad idea to combine an energy drink with alcohol ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
01-05-2011, 06:17 AM
Smile RE: ALCOHOL
Just to be clear, alcohol did not contribute to my health reasons at all! Plus, no, the combination is not a bad idea at all, it tastes really nice. Obviously don't have too many, but one or two a night is ok. Smile

Quote:"Religion poisons everything." - Christopher Hitchens
02-05-2011, 02:03 PM
If you want a blackout: try moose milk Tongue

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
03-05-2011, 02:35 AM
(02-05-2011 02:03 PM)Thammuz Wrote:  If you want a blackout: try moose milk Tongue

Is that a code word for 80% booze ? Tongue

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
09-05-2011, 09:18 PM
(29-04-2011 08:05 AM)The_observer Wrote:  
(28-04-2011 02:14 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  Have you ever cellared anything yourself Observer? If not, ever have the chance to try something that has been?
Well... No, and I haven't tasted such beer either.
I guess it has to do with the fact that speciality beer is so readably available in Belgium that you just drink it and buy an other one the next time.

I think its a good idea.
Do you think it would work with Chimay-bleu?

Btw.
Quite possible that you did not really like it. As they say in south Belgium "Des gout et de couleurs 's endiscute pas" (tastes and colours are indebatable)
I see what you mean about tastes and colors. I did some research and found out glassware is to bring out aroma, not taste. I did get a tulip glass recently though, and my buddy told me that its possible the bottle I bought was too young or too old to be good. So I'm going to try it again, and check the date this time. We shall see, if I still don't like it then I still don't like it. As for cellaring Chimay blue, I don't know about cellaring that style, I've never come across anything that light that was aged. Most of the cellared beers I've seen have been darker. May be worth looking into though.

And Thammuz, who brews moose milk? Sounds interesting. We have one around me that has gained some notoriety, it's called Blackout Stout by Great Lakes. I have yet to get my hands on it, as it goes fast, but I'm going to try my hardest when it comes out again later this year.