ALERT "Unpacking Atheism" by William Lane craig and Lee Strobel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2012, 11:49 AM (This post was last modified: 28-09-2012 12:40 PM by kineo.)
RE: ALERT "Unpacking Atheism" by William Lane craig and Lee Strobel
At between $211 and $590 per church these guys must make a killing for what will probably amount to a lot of (if not entirely) pre-recorded material. They even provide churches with PDF-versions of posters and flyers to pass printing costs on to the individual churches attending. With YouTube and the internet they can't get away with just selling tapes/DVD's/cassettes so this is one way to get money out of people for watching their videos and ensuring that their audience won't shout them down like they would on YouTube and the internet at large.

Make no mistake, these "ministry" efforts are no more than money-making schemes with a presumed moral superiority because, hey, God called them to do it!

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like kineo's post
28-09-2012, 12:04 PM
(28-09-2012 11:49 AM)kineo Wrote:  Make no mistake, these "ministry" efforts are no more than money-making schemes with a presumed moral superiority because, hey, God called them to do it!

In case anyone ever wonders how William Lane Craig can be so clueless and obtuse, here's your answer. It obviously pays quite well. All it takes is circular reasoning and the ability to ignore logic and evidence, then a big scoop of salesmanship to get the gullible religious people to buy his stuff and line his pockets with gold.

He knows his market, he knows that they, at least, won't laugh at or poke holes in his circular arguments or unfounded belief system, and that they will continue to throw money at him as long as he gives them what he wants.

Me, personally, I don't think he's as dumb as he lets on, I think he's been at this too long, heard too much, seen too much, to have never actually cracked a book or viewed a video or visited a natural history museum - every atheist he has debated has told him what, where, and who can enlighten him on the gaps in his knowledge and I bet he's peeked. Heck, I bet he's researched (even if only to look for holes he can use in debates). By now he's almost certainly figured out how wrong he is and how right science is - but there's no money in that. Not for him. So he keeps selling his snake oil and laughing all the way to the bank.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
28-09-2012, 12:24 PM
They're just paying to hear what they want to hear. It feels good to have someone tell you you're right in every single opinion you have. Craig et al provide a service just like any other, and it's a service people are willing to pay for.

Getting another person involved does generally tend to make masturbation more fun.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
28-09-2012, 12:38 PM
(28-09-2012 12:41 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  And here's a taste of the level of discussion he is capable of, and his (face-palm inducing), unexamined premises.
http://www.reasonablefaith.org/navigatin...-landscape

Wow, no doubt he's confused a few Theists into thinking he's some sort of intellectual ... he seems to be quite good with his slight of tongue. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
28-09-2012, 12:43 PM
ALERT "Unpacking Atheism" by William Lane craig and Lee Strobel
(28-09-2012 12:38 PM)kim Wrote:  [... he seems to be quite good with his slight of tongue. Dodgy

I thought the ladies liked that sort of thing. Angel

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
28-09-2012, 01:08 PM
(28-09-2012 12:43 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(28-09-2012 12:38 PM)kim Wrote:  [... he seems to be quite good with his slight of tongue. Dodgy

I thought the ladies liked that sort of thing. Angel

The thing is you have to follow up with the meat Tongue
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
28-09-2012, 01:15 PM
So who follows Craig's slight of tongue? Is Strobel or Mittelberg the meat?

I'm so lost in these metaphors...

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
28-09-2012, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 28-09-2012 01:26 PM by morondog.)
None of them are, that's the point.

edit: meaning, you can have a glorious theistic argument over pages and books and vast numbers of debates, but if you never give your audience (the *girls*, in the analogy) something to... sink their... *teeth* into... it's ultimately not that much fun...

Craig et al can have masturbatory hail fellow well met type discussions about how atheists fail to get the point, but until they supply some hard science... they're just talk. Nothing interesting.
28-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Of course I'm sure they have a "perfectly valid reason" that it costs that much to show a feed over the internet. Because streaming live over the internet is sooooo expensive.
28-09-2012, 02:47 PM
(28-09-2012 02:06 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Of course I'm sure they have a "perfectly valid reason" that it costs that much to show a feed over the internet. Because streaming live over the internet is sooooo expensive.

Nah, I bet they don't even try to hide it. I've never seen evangelists hide it.

They'll just tell their "marks" that the money is for god and that they'll use to keep fighting the good fight.

And that will incite more marks to pay up, maybe even kick in a little extra for the cause...

[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The hypocracy of atheism diddo97 175 2,180 Yesterday 02:55 PM
Last Post: Mathilda
  Atheism and the Conversion Factors 5senses 52 2,004 18-08-2014 03:50 PM
Last Post: goodwithoutgod
  Is Atheism a Choice? Wicked Clown 51 699 13-08-2014 08:38 PM
Last Post: Superluminal
  Atheism as a religion and/or philosophy TheBeardedDude 24 349 08-08-2014 11:28 AM
Last Post: ClydeLee
  I wish to feel superior to reality (atheism) Mozart Link 55 1,034 08-08-2014 10:10 AM
Last Post: Impulse
Thumbs Down There is a Freedom From Atheism Foundation (FFAF) Imdefender 24 481 04-08-2014 10:32 PM
Last Post: WeAreTheCosmos
  Having an issue Discussing My Atheism With my Partner LeftHandedLeft 13 237 02-08-2014 04:34 PM
Last Post: Chas