ALL Religion Is A Placebo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2013, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2013 01:19 PM by onedream.)
ALL Religion Is A Placebo
I used to believe that Christianity was true because of all of the stories of life-change that came out of Christianity.

Then I started seeing testimonials of life-change from other religions like...

...Judaism

...And Islam

It was then that I realized that ALL RELIGION is a placebo. Christianity, Islam, Judaism...they're "points of contact" that the human mind can use to draw hope. And hope is powerful. Hope can help people tap into the strength that ALREADY RESIDES within them. It's the key that unlocks human potential. So you want life-change? Find a purpose that brings hope.

For some, it's the birth of their child. For some, it's a new career. For some, it's a cause to join. But the point is, people without purpose are ripe for religion to come along and offer them a purpose. And most of us fall for it.

Find your own purpose. Don't let a placebo fantasy inject a purpose into your life. Go make your own purpose.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like onedream's post
27-06-2013, 01:33 PM
RE: ALL Religion Is A Placebo
Good points.

A lot of people seem to be sold on the idea that life comes down to two, and only two, choices:

1. Lead a life devoid of meaning. Glorify materialism. Dedicate yourself to bling and celebrity worship. Devote all your time and effort to acquiring more and more toys. Judge people by how much they have and how powerful they are. Make "Look out for number one" your moral precept.

OR

2. Embrace a religion.

We need to fight against that kind of dichotomous thinking.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 5 users Like cufflink's post
27-06-2013, 01:56 PM
(27-06-2013 01:33 PM)cufflink Wrote:  We need to fight against that kind of dichotomous thinking.

All unite against dichotomous thinking!

Dichotomous thinking is either correct or not!

There is ONE truth and that is that there is NO Dichotomy.

... Just thinking of stuff we could write on placards when we hold our march...
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
27-06-2013, 02:25 PM
(27-06-2013 01:33 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Dedicate yourself to ... celebrity worship.

Wait a cotton-picking moment... Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-06-2013, 05:32 AM
That was some fortune cookie shit sister.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
28-06-2013, 05:56 AM
"Religion is the simple man's generic default solution to the search for meaning."

Mark, 2013

Here endeth the lesson.Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
28-06-2013, 07:17 AM
(28-06-2013 05:56 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  "Religion is the simple man's generic default solution to the search for meaning."

Mark, 2013

Here endeth the lesson.Big Grin

I like it but I want to tweak it.

"Religion is man's generic default solution in the search for meaning."

The word simple connotes dumb or unquestioning and there are simply too many examples of lucid, intelligent people practicing cognative dissonance who buy into all this woo don't you think? Undecided

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."- Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
28-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the share. I liked these videos who made me think.
[+] 1 user Likes viocjit's post
28-06-2013, 08:54 AM
"What makes your divine or spiritual experience any more valid than those of the believers in other faiths?"

That's the sort of question that can only be answered by wishy-washy universalism (it's not - in which case how is one any better than the others?) or by steadfast denial (it just is - in which case trololololol).
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
28-06-2013, 11:20 AM
(28-06-2013 08:54 AM)cjlr Wrote:  "What makes your divine or spiritual experience any more valid than those of the believers in other faiths?"

That's the sort of question that can only be answered by wishy-washy universalism (it's not - in which case how is one any better than the others?) or by steadfast denial (it just is - in which case trololololol).

Good point.