ALS ice challenge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2014, 04:43 PM
RE: ALS ice challenge
(17-08-2014 06:53 PM)MrsFarrow Wrote:  OP: Seriously. One more of these bucket challenges, ONE MORE and i am going to flip out. If you really wanted to help a charity, you would donate either time or money. Dumping ice over your head to -avoid- donating just makes you look like a jerk. You are NOT raising awareness, you are giving in to a pointless fad and nothing more.

I was nominated to do this challenge, and I'm going to do it not for a good cause, but just so I can nominate Logisch.

Who gives a crap about charity? I'm unemployed anyways. Rolleyes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2014, 06:45 PM
(22-08-2014 03:53 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Ok, I received an answer from the ALS Association, and while it doesn't answer every question I asked, it answers the biggest one. Here it is:

Quote:The $64M you refer to is the combined total of national plus our 38 chapters revenue, and our chapters work almost exclusively on providing services to people and families living with ALS, and they operate as separate 501c3 entities. The number you should be using is the National Office support and revenue, which for FYE 2013 was $25.7 M. Doing the math $6.6M = 25.6 percent of the $25.7M.

Similarly, numbers for FYE2012 for your comparison are $19,042,577 total National revenue and the research amount of $3,904,240 translates to 20.5% for research.

Except for the combined total, the entire annual report is for the National Office. The individual chapters do their own reports.
I hope this is helpful. Sorry for the delay in responding, our inboxes/phone lines are jammed.

Translation: For some reason, and I didn't get an explanation why, part of the annual report adds money raised, maintained and spent by chapters (overwhelmingly for patient services). But the report does not show that such money is never actually received by the national office. On the national level, the relevant numbers are the ones that I cited second, which I'll repeat here:

Page 13 of the 2013 report:
Total support and revenue (all contributions, bequests, etc): $25,744,512
Amount that went to research grants: $6,616,367 (25.7%)
Patient and community services: $5,046,087 (19.6%)
Public and professional education: $8,878,559 (34.4%)
Fundraising: $3,000,946 (11.6%)
Administrative costs: $2,195,742 (8.5%)

Page 10 of the 2012 report:

Total support and revenue (all contributions, bequests, etc): $19,042,577
Amount that went to research grants: $3,904,240 (20.5%)
Patient and community services: $4,629,111 (24.3%)
Public and professional education: $1,859,100 (9.7 percent)
Fundraising: $3,269,624 (17.1%)
Administrative costs: $1,773,152 (9.3%)

What's left unanswered in this is: how effective and efficient are the individual CHAPTERS?

But I think a chapter by chapter analysis of this charity, or ANY national charity, is beyond the scope of our little forum here. So if you want to give to the national office, you can be confident it will be a wise decision. If you want to give to a specific chapter, you should check into whether that chapter is individually rated and meets your desire for transparency, etc.

I'm pretty sure I saw something that said Florida's chapter (where I live) does quite well. But there's no need for us to get into that here.

I do not know why the combined set of numbers makes it appear that administrative and fundraising costs are so much higher than they are. I will say that the chapters are the ones that organize the fundraising walks, etc, so it is no surprise that the chapters are the ones spending more on fundraising than the national office.

And, in case you didn't know, the Ice Bucket Challenge has now generated $53.3 million to the ALS Association (national office) alone, compared to $2.2 million for the same period last year, with 1.1 million new people who are dousing themselves with water to avoid... wait, no, I got that wrong: 1.1 million new donors. In the time we've been debating this, nearly $40 million has come in.

This is NOT about people who are avoiding giving. While I'm sure some people fit that description, even if "some people" represent a majority of the videos we're seeing, we are still seeing a massively, massively effective campaign. If this is a flawed strategy, I say we need a few more flawed strategies (to benefit this and other worthy causes).

Thank you for this information! I stand corrected!

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
22-08-2014, 11:42 PM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2014 11:47 PM by Smercury44.)
(22-08-2014 06:45 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(22-08-2014 03:53 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Ok, I received an answer from the ALS Association, and while it doesn't answer every question I asked, it answers the biggest one. Here it is:

Translation: For some reason, and I didn't get an explanation why, part of the annual report adds money raised, maintained and spent by chapters (overwhelmingly for patient services). But the report does not show that such money is never actually received by the national office. On the national level, the relevant numbers are the ones that I cited second, which I'll repeat here:

Page 13 of the 2013 report:
Total support and revenue (all contributions, bequests, etc): $25,744,512
Amount that went to research grants: $6,616,367 (25.7%)
Patient and community services: $5,046,087 (19.6%)
Public and professional education: $8,878,559 (34.4%)
Fundraising: $3,000,946 (11.6%)
Administrative costs: $2,195,742 (8.5%)

Page 10 of the 2012 report:

Total support and revenue (all contributions, bequests, etc): $19,042,577
Amount that went to research grants: $3,904,240 (20.5%)
Patient and community services: $4,629,111 (24.3%)
Public and professional education: $1,859,100 (9.7 percent)
Fundraising: $3,269,624 (17.1%)
Administrative costs: $1,773,152 (9.3%)

What's left unanswered in this is: how effective and efficient are the individual CHAPTERS?

But I think a chapter by chapter analysis of this charity, or ANY national charity, is beyond the scope of our little forum here. So if you want to give to the national office, you can be confident it will be a wise decision. If you want to give to a specific chapter, you should check into whether that chapter is individually rated and meets your desire for transparency, etc.

I'm pretty sure I saw something that said Florida's chapter (where I live) does quite well. But there's no need for us to get into that here.

I do not know why the combined set of numbers makes it appear that administrative and fundraising costs are so much higher than they are. I will say that the chapters are the ones that organize the fundraising walks, etc, so it is no surprise that the chapters are the ones spending more on fundraising than the national office.

And, in case you didn't know, the Ice Bucket Challenge has now generated $53.3 million to the ALS Association (national office) alone, compared to $2.2 million for the same period last year, with 1.1 million new people who are dousing themselves with water to avoid... wait, no, I got that wrong: 1.1 million new donors. In the time we've been debating this, nearly $40 million has come in.

This is NOT about people who are avoiding giving. While I'm sure some people fit that description, even if "some people" represent a majority of the videos we're seeing, we are still seeing a massively, massively effective campaign. If this is a flawed strategy, I say we need a few more flawed strategies (to benefit this and other worthy causes).

Thank you for this information! I stand corrected!

Bowing I haven't been keeping up with all the stats and back and forth going on in here between you two, but I wanted to say I know from experience it's not always easy to admit this after so much back and forth, so I bow to you Big Grin Bowing

Edit: wanted to add/clarify that it's really inspiring to see someone's mind changed by facts, it's not something you see every day. I honestly didn't think you'd be able to, and for that I'm sorry. I'm glad you proved me wrong Big Grin Hug

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
23-08-2014, 09:39 AM
Funny thing is, I wouldn't have been surprised or disappointed if Cathy did not change her mind. I thought their answer was a positive step, but insufficient to address every question. I guess satisfying curiosity is a lower threshold than answering every question. And in real life, that's a good thing.

But I'm a news reporter. I don't live in real life. I live in the media. Wink

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
23-08-2014, 02:29 PM

#sigh
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-08-2014, 02:55 PM
(23-08-2014 02:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

What a big jessie.

Hate the belief, love the believer.
24-08-2014, 06:39 AM
(22-08-2014 11:42 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(22-08-2014 06:45 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Thank you for this information! I stand corrected!

Bowing I haven't been keeping up with all the stats and back and forth going on in here between you two, but I wanted to say I know from experience it's not always easy to admit this after so much back and forth, so I bow to you Big Grin Bowing

Edit: wanted to add/clarify that it's really inspiring to see someone's mind changed by facts, it's not something you see every day. I honestly didn't think you'd be able to, and for that I'm sorry. I'm glad you proved me wrong Big Grin Hug

We both had different information. Neither I nor two cult were unwilling to acknowledge where we were wrong.

When I'm wrong, I admit it. Facts always change my mind. Two cult knew I wasn't making up numbers, there was just a misinterpretation of the numbers. Kudos to him to finding out the answer! :bow:

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 3 users Like Cathym112's post
24-08-2014, 08:22 AM
(23-08-2014 09:39 AM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Funny thing is, I wouldn't have been surprised or disappointed if Cathy did not change her mind. I thought their answer was a positive step, but insufficient to address every question. I guess satisfying curiosity is a lower threshold than answering every question. And in real life, that's a good thing.

But I'm a news reporter. I don't live in real life. I live in the media. Wink

While it's true that it doesn't answer all the questions, it satisfied enough of my curiosity to conclude that 9+ million doing the challenge and 55 million donated is a lot better number than 9 million challenged and 22 million donated

24-08-2014, 02:21 PM

This is the best one yet.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
24-08-2014, 02:29 PM
(24-08-2014 02:21 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  

This is the best one yet.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense