ALS ice challenge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2014, 12:20 AM
RE: ALS ice challenge
To the person described in the OP: go fuck yourself you unimaginably heartless bitch, because I'm confident no one else will.

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TwoCultSurvivor's post
18-08-2014, 06:08 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and side with the OP.

If you dump the water on your head, you donate $10. If you don't, you donate $100.

I know I'm not that great at math....

Most of my FB friends aren't even mentioning the word ALS, or including a link to donate. If they are raising "awareness", they are doing it wrong.

http://m.vice.com/en_ca/read/dumping-a-b...ropist-813

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
18-08-2014, 08:37 AM
(18-08-2014 06:08 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I'm gonna go ahead and side with the OP.

If you dump the water on your head, you donate $10. If you don't, you donate $100.

Most of my FB friends aren't even mentioning the word ALS, or including a link to donate. If they are raising "awareness", they are doing it wrong.

Except for the fact that the campaign is working and donations are way up. I'd say that is a better criteria than what your facebook friends are saying.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
18-08-2014, 08:55 AM
(18-08-2014 08:37 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Except for the fact that the campaign is working and donations are way up. I'd say that is a better criteria than what your facebook friends are saying.

I think donations are up by something like a factor of ten. By any standards this is a very effective fund raising exercise, although it's possible Russell Crowe will be killing Ricky Gervais over it.

Hate the belief, love the believer.
[+] 1 user Likes Elder Cunningham's post
18-08-2014, 09:24 AM

Then most of your Facebook friends aren't doing it right. Not everyone has $100 laying around. Most people CAN donate $10.

The numbers simply do not lie. Donations are exponentially up.

How is that a BAD thing?
18-08-2014, 10:58 AM
(18-08-2014 09:24 AM)MrsFarrow Wrote:  

Then most of your Facebook friends aren't doing it right. Not everyone has $100 laying around. Most people CAN donate $10.

The numbers simply do not lie. Donations are exponentially up.

How is that a BAD thing?

I never implied that it was a bad thing. Yup, I just looked, I never said it was a bad thing. What I am saying is that dumping water on your head to avoid giving more money to ALS is a bad thing. If you only have $10, then you only have $10. But I'm saying that donations should occur because you want to donate, not because you are guilt tripped into it.

It just seems like fake concern for ALS. I donate a lot of money to charity. I don't need to post on FB for my applause.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
18-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Fine. I won't applaud you then.

But if, in donating $10 and posting a stupid video, you indirectly prompt 15 people to do the same, you have indirectly raised more than you would have if you had just quietly donated your $100.

No, giving $10 you have instead of $100 you don't is NOT a bad thing.

I have never seen so much hate directed at an effective fundraising campaign that isn't hurting anyone. You know what? I hate Girl Scout Cookies. I don't buy them. And I don't give to the Girl Scouts either. Nothing personal. I just have other causes. But you don't see me posting on Facebook and other social media about how I refuse to cave to the pressure of buying Girl Scout Cookies. You don't see me badmouthing the March of Dimes or the MDA telethon or the Concert for SomeCauseOrOther. I just don't understand why some people feel such a need to piss on this campaign when it's fucking WORKING better than anyone imagined it would.

You know how you don't cave to guilt-trip based giving? You don't cave. That's it. Put your money somewhere else. No one will begrudge you that right, least of all me. But it's one thing not to participate. It's quite another to piss all over the campaign as if you're somehow above it.

I'm projecting, by the way, and none of this post should be interpreted as personally directed at CathyM112. I don't know you and don't have a problem with you choosing not to play along. I'm using you as an example, and I apologize in advance if it seems I'm picking on you.

I had one friend who said this whole Ice Bucket Challenge is becoming too much of a cliche. A cliche! After three damn weeks. The Jerry Lewis telethon for MDA has been on every year for the vast majority of my life, but a 3-week-old campaign is cliche. WTF? Seriously.

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
18-08-2014, 11:29 AM
I think its a wonderful idea. It has a fun concept and is asking for an amount that most people can afford to donate. To "cave" to something so silly is well....silly. Take it for what it is. Its a great idea to raise money for a good cause.
[+] 4 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
18-08-2014, 01:07 PM
(18-08-2014 11:25 AM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Fine. I won't applaud you then.

But if, in donating $10 and posting a stupid video, you indirectly prompt 15 people to do the same, you have indirectly raised more than you would have if you had just quietly donated your $100.

I have never seen so much hate directed at an effective fundraising campaign that isn't hurting anyone. You know what? I hate Girl Scout Cookies. I don't buy them. And I don't give to the Girl Scouts either. Nothing personal. I just have other causes. But you don't see me posting on Facebook and other social media about how I refuse to cave to the pressure of buying Girl Scout Cookies. You don't see me badmouthing the March of Dimes or the MDA telethon or the Concert for SomeCauseOrOther. I just don't understand why some people feel such a need to piss on this campaign when it's fucking WORKING better than anyone imagined it would.

You know how you don't cave to guilt-trip based giving? You don't cave. That's it. Put your money somewhere else. No one will begrudge you that right, least of all me. But it's one thing not to participate. It's quite another to piss all over the campaign as if you're somehow above it.

I'm projecting, by the way, and none of this post should be interpreted as personally directed at CathyM112. I don't know you and don't have a problem with you choosing not to play along. I'm using you as an example, and I apologize in advance if it seems I'm picking on you.

I had one friend who said this whole Ice Bucket Challenge is becoming too much of a cliche. A cliche! After three damn weeks. The Jerry Lewis telethon for MDA has been on every year for the vast majority of my life, but a 3-week-old campaign is cliche. WTF? Seriously.

This.

If you don't like it, don't donate.

Period.

And if you read my response, I never said you said it was a bad thing.

Yup, just looked. Didn't say it.
18-08-2014, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2014 01:44 PM by Cathym112.)
(18-08-2014 11:25 AM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Fine. I won't applaud you then.

Facepalm Two cult, seriously. Many of the people dumping water on their heads can most certainly donate $100 without a blink. Its not an issue of money at all. I just want to know how many people have done this challenge vs how much money has been raised? I'm pretty sure a lot of people are dumping the water without donating even the $10.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing. I just think if you wanna help, there are a lot more tangible ways to do so than dumping water on your head in an attempt to avoid giving $100.

I really don't care about these things one way or another. I think the reason why people may be getting so frustrated by this is because it just seems so....fake. Kinda like those petitions that you sign online for a cause. It seems like a cop out to actually doing something. Its like those selfies that everyone took of #bring back our girls. And the livestrong bracelets that everyone sported like they actually cared.

I get frustrated because I don't think you (you in general, not you specifically) don't give a shit about ALS. A fleeting thought, the barest minimum of actual help given, but with the added bonus of tricking yourself and everyone around you into thinking you did more.

I run a charity. I can't tell you how many times people have blown smoke up my ass about wanting to help, but then never showed up with they were actually needed....

[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post