ALS ice challenge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2014, 01:43 PM
RE: ALS ice challenge
$14 million raised this year, as opposed to $1 million last year. Who CARES if some people are not donating? Hundreds of thousands of people ARE. THAT's the point. I gave $25 and auctioned off the privilege of dumping the ice on my head. The winning bid was $225, and the runner up promised to honor his pledge of $200. That was $450 raised right there. So I covered for four people who dumped the ice without giving a dime. SO WHAT? You dump the ice and you don't give, you challenge three people who DO give, and you raise money for a cause that is relatively ignored in philanthropy.

Again, I've got nothing against YOU not giving and not participating, but do you find time to criticize other types of fundraisers? Do you criticize bake sales and walkathons and T-shirts, etc. because they are horribly inefficient at raising funds and cost as much to produce as they take in?

You don't want to be a part of this, don't. No problem. But ALS research is $13 million richer this year than it was last year at this time, because people are passing the buck until the buck ends up in the hands of a charity that's going to provide a motorized wheelchair for someone who needs it, or it's going to fund that next bit of research that will hopefully make this horrifying illness go the way of polio. And it won't be because of naysayers.

Seriously, stop pissing in my ice bucket.

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TwoCultSurvivor's post
18-08-2014, 01:58 PM
(18-08-2014 01:35 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Facepalm Two cult, seriously. Many of the people dumping water on their heads can most certainly donate $100 without a blink. Its not an issue of money at all. I just want to know how many people have done this challenge vs how much money has been raised? I'm pretty sure a lot of people are dumping the water without donating even the $10.

From the ALS website

Quote:As of Monday, August 18, The ALS Association has received $15.6 million in donations compared to $1.8 million during the same time period last year (July 29 to August 18). These donations have come from existing donors and 307,598 new donors to The Association.

And people are finding something to moan about?

Hate the belief, love the believer.
18-08-2014, 02:00 PM
(18-08-2014 01:43 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Seriously, stop pissing in my ice bucket.

Why not? It will melt the ice.

Look man, I get that you are using me as a representative of this public outcry against the challenge, but I was just trying to give you someone else's perspective as to why they might get a little tired of the disingenuous concern.

I donated $100 without being challenged by anyone.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
18-08-2014, 02:02 PM
(18-08-2014 02:00 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 01:43 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Seriously, stop pissing in my ice bucket.

Look man, I get that you are using me as a representative of this public outcry against the challenge, but I was just trying to give you someone else's perspective as to why they might get a little tired of the disingenuous concern.

And so what? The drive has raised 14 times what they earned last year and you are complaining about it.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
18-08-2014, 02:08 PM
(18-08-2014 02:02 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 02:00 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Why not? It will melt the ice.

And so what? The drive has raised 14 times what they earned last year and you are complaining about it.

Nope. I'm not complaining about it at all. My addressing frustration that people would rather dump ice on their head than to cough up an extra $90.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
18-08-2014, 02:09 PM
(18-08-2014 02:00 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  

Excellent, and on behalf of my sister, thank you!

And clearly you would have done it anyway, even if this fad weren't taking over your Facebook timeline, because you give $100 to ALS every year around this time, right?

And when you made this contribution, did you publicly or privately encourage others to do the same, whatever they could afford? I'm sure you did, because you don't need a gimmick or a fad to encourage you to do these things, right? Right?

I do not see a shred of evidence that any of the concern is disingenuous. I have no doubt that some of it is insincere, but that factor appears to be dwarfed by donations -- and I'm not aware of any charity that categorizes donations by the level of sincerity with which the checks were written.

That's what I'm trying to get you to see.

Again, I applaud your donation and thank you for it from the bottom of my heart.

Visit my blog
18-08-2014, 02:09 PM
(18-08-2014 02:08 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 02:02 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  And so what? The drive has raised 14 times what they earned last year and you are complaining about it.

Nope. I'm not complaining about it at all. My addressing frustration that people would rather dump ice on their head than to cough up an extra $90.

Not all of us can afford the extra 90 bucks
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
18-08-2014, 02:11 PM
(18-08-2014 02:09 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 02:08 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Nope. I'm not complaining about it at all. My addressing frustration that people would rather dump ice on their head than to cough up an extra $90.

Not all of us can afford the extra 90 bucks

Even if you can't give a dime, you can encourage someone else to give, someone who might not otherwise have given it a second thought.

How many of you were talking/thinking about ALS at this time last year?

Visit my blog
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
18-08-2014, 02:12 PM
(18-08-2014 02:11 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 02:09 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Not all of us can afford the extra 90 bucks

Even if you can't give a dime, you can encourage someone else to give, someone who might not otherwise have given it a second thought.

How many of you were talking/thinking about ALS at this time last year?

I said the gimmick was a good thing....Dodgy
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
18-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to make it look like I was disagreeing with you in any way, Hobbitgirl. I was piggybacking off your comment, not criticizing it.

Visit my blog