ALS ice challenge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2014, 02:20 PM
RE: ALS ice challenge
I believe this a good thing in the sense that it's getting money into the charity and raising awareness. However, with all sorts of charity events like this, I always have to wonder, how much money is going to the actual charity? Honestly I haven't heard of this challenge until today to know how it works (ie if the person gets their own ice bucket or if the charity provides or whatever). With things like MDA where they buy all the flyers, all the paper for people to sign, all the "congrats you raised blah blah blah dollars" for the businesses, I have to wonder how much of your dollar goes to helping the cause and how much actually goes to publicity. That's mostly what I care about. I'm rush posting this because I'm about to head off to work so I can't really research this ice bucket challenge to know but I'm just saying.

[Image: notagain.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2014, 02:26 PM
To the best of my knowledge, this was grass roots. Didn't even start off as an ALS thing: any charity would have sufficed. But for some reason, once it got attached to ALS, the gimmick and the cause stuck to each other. The ALS Association mostly just said "cool" and started sending out e-mails, which cost nothing except the time it took to compose. Some Web design was involved. We're talking about pennies there (it's not like new sites had to go up from scratch).

I don't recall the exact percentages involved, but the ALS Association performs well on the percentage of donations that go to administrative costs (low).

There's also Augie's Quest, which performs even better on the administrative costs measurement.

These things are pretty easy to look up, when you get a chance.

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
18-08-2014, 05:00 PM
(18-08-2014 11:25 AM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Fine. I won't applaud you then.

But if, in donating $10 and posting a stupid video, you indirectly prompt 15 people to do the same, you have indirectly raised more than you would have if you had just quietly donated your $100.

No, giving $10 you have instead of $100 you don't is NOT a bad thing.

I have never seen so much hate directed at an effective fundraising campaign that isn't hurting anyone. You know what? I hate Girl Scout Cookies. I don't buy them. And I don't give to the Girl Scouts either. Nothing personal. I just have other causes. But you don't see me posting on Facebook and other social media about how I refuse to cave to the pressure of buying Girl Scout Cookies. You don't see me badmouthing the March of Dimes or the MDA telethon or the Concert for SomeCauseOrOther. I just don't understand why some people feel such a need to piss on this campaign when it's fucking WORKING better than anyone imagined it would.

You know how you don't cave to guilt-trip based giving? You don't cave. That's it. Put your money somewhere else. No one will begrudge you that right, least of all me. But it's one thing not to participate. It's quite another to piss all over the campaign as if you're somehow above it.

I'm projecting, by the way, and none of this post should be interpreted as personally directed at CathyM112. I don't know you and don't have a problem with you choosing not to play along. I'm using you as an example, and I apologize in advance if it seems I'm picking on you.

I had one friend who said this whole Ice Bucket Challenge is becoming too much of a cliche. A cliche! After three damn weeks. The Jerry Lewis telethon for MDA has been on every year for the vast majority of my life, but a 3-week-old campaign is cliche. WTF? Seriously.

DITTO!! I love you now! Hug

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
18-08-2014, 05:09 PM
(17-08-2014 09:46 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  My grandpa had it. It's was a very slow deterioration for him. I think three years at home until my grandma couldn't care for him anymore, and another six in a nursing home. I was in high school when he died, so much of my life I didn't get to know him because of the disease. I'm just happy that I have fond memories from my early child hood.

We'd go on walks around his neighborhood. Instead of giving me his whole hand, he'd hold out one finger for me to grab onto. We'd walk around, pet the neighborhood cats Smile he bult me a play kitchen, and showed me fun magic tricks. I remember his hair was always so perfect. He combed it in amazing waves that really suited him. I remember being sad after he was in the nursing home, he couldn't do his hair like he used to.

Sorry for rambling. Just reminiscing.

You ramble all you like! I've been a caretaker most of my life, and though I never had to deal with this particularly hateful disease, I have watched patients slowly waste away from other diseases, while their family helplessly watches. No

I'm so sorry you had to go through that! Hug

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes CindysRain's post
18-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Time out, Cathy why exactly is this gimmick a problem? That some people could give more than they are? That is true of almost any charitable donation. By raising awareness they have increased the income of this charity 14 fold. That is worth way more than the extra couple of dollars they could have given.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
18-08-2014, 05:31 PM
I give to charities. I also help people out directly. When I can. I don't always have the money that is asked for with some fundraisers and it kind of makes me feel like my less than requested donation isn't good enough. At least that's how I used to feel. After the whole breast cancer fucked with my life episode, I look at things differently. Do I need a two dollar pair of breast cancer ribbon shoelaces - nope and I will never use them. I don't need the one dollar bracelets but I will pick them up now and then. The choice buying pens that give a few cents to research over those that don't - yeah, I'll carry a pink pen. And I will gather the stuff and donate it to a booth at Relay for Life and they can resell it to someone who may actually use it.

I finally figured out that my little bits add up. And the 'gimmicks' sometimes remind me that I meant to give money to a certain fund but didn't at the time, for whatever reason.

A whole lot of ten dollars are better than no hundred dollars because people think that their ten won't do anything.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
18-08-2014, 05:41 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2014 05:52 PM by TheGulegon.)
(18-08-2014 02:08 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 02:02 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  And so what? The drive has raised 14 times what they earned last year and you are complaining about it.

Nope. I'm not complaining about it at all. My addressing frustration that people would rather dump ice on their head than to cough up an extra $90.

I watched a Chiefs-Panthers game last night, Cathym! Shy
Watching the segment on ALS-charity-donations, during that game, brought it to the attention of a lot of people who wouldn't have otherwise cared.
But, there are some people who might hear about donations to that charity, and been all like "yeah yeah.... can I get my fuckin game on please?", and forgot all about it!
BUTT...
If those people get a laugh out of watching John Lynch, or Panthers head coach Ron Rivera get Iced Evil_monster They might remember it Evil_monster Maybe even pay 10 dollars just to show up John Lynch by putting their man-pants on, & taking it better than he did Flex

Doesn't matter why the money is given so long as it gets to the ALS charity, and the numbers have blown up huge since this Ice Bucket Challenge has gotten everybody's attention! I say, hurray Big Grin

& I Heart ya Hug

[edit] Also, not everyone has so much money, &/or time, they can go around looking for charities all day, but could still spare a little! The Ice Bucket Challenge brings this one to their attention Smile

19-08-2014, 05:05 AM
Btw - the ALS organization (according to their last audited report) brought in 55 million dollars. Of that 55 million, 7% went to research! 7! And 10% went to salaries and administrative costs, and 18% went towards fundraising.

So yeah. Dumping ice on yourself and giving $10, a lousy 70 cents went to fucking finding a cure. Making a difference man. Making a difference...

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
19-08-2014, 05:11 AM
(18-08-2014 02:20 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  I believe this a good thing in the sense that it's getting money into the charity and raising awareness. However, with all sorts of charity events like this, I always have to wonder, how much money is going to the actual charity? Honestly I haven't heard of this challenge until today to know how it works (ie if the person gets their own ice bucket or if the charity provides or whatever). With things like MDA where they buy all the flyers, all the paper for people to sign, all the "congrats you raised blah blah blah dollars" for the businesses, I have to wonder how much of your dollar goes to helping the cause and how much actually goes to publicity. That's mostly what I care about. I'm rush posting this because I'm about to head off to work so I can't really research this ice bucket challenge to know but I'm just saying.

Glad you asked. 7% of every dollar they take in go towards research. Only 7%. 28% goes to fundraising and admin costs.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
19-08-2014, 05:15 AM
(19-08-2014 05:05 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Btw - the ALS organization (according to their last audited report) brought in 55 million dollars. Of that 55 million, 7% went to research! 7! And 10% went to salaries and administrative costs, and 18% went towards fundraising.

So yeah. Dumping ice on yourself and giving $10, a lousy 70 cents went to fucking finding a cure. Making a difference man. Making a difference...

From their website:

Quote:OUR MISSION: Leading the fight to treat and cure ALS through global research and nationwide advocacy while also empowering people with Lou Gehrig's Disease and their families to live fuller lives by providing them with compassionate care and support.

They do much more than just research a cure.

Hate the belief, love the believer.