ALS ice challenge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2014, 05:20 AM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2014 06:08 AM by Cathym112.)
RE: ALS ice challenge
(18-08-2014 05:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Time out, Cathy why exactly is this gimmick a problem? That some people could give more than they are? That is true of almost any charitable donation. By raising awareness they have increased the income of this charity 14 fold. That is worth way more than the extra couple of dollars they could have given.

I'm not saying the gimmick itself is a problem. I agree, it raises awareness. What I am saying is that half the people on FB don't even mention the word ALS, and they are dumping to AVOID donating. It doesn't matter how much you donate, but don't do something to specifically avoid it.

If you don't have an extra $90, that's fine. Then donate your TIME. The very fact that many A list celebrities have done this challenge and the donations stand at a measles $10 million tells you that even the celebs aren't donating. $1,000 from Britney Spears? Are you fucking kidding Me? She walks around with a $4,000 handbag!

And two cult - I have a list of charities that I put on a rotating basis. I'd go broke if I donated every year to everything I care about. I'm very sorry to hear about your sister.

I also run my own charity (without taking any salary).

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2014, 05:22 AM
(19-08-2014 05:15 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 05:05 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Btw - the ALS organization (according to their last audited report) brought in 55 million dollars. Of that 55 million, 7% went to research! 7! And 10% went to salaries and administrative costs, and 18% went towards fundraising.

So yeah. Dumping ice on yourself and giving $10, a lousy 70 cents went to fucking finding a cure. Making a difference man. Making a difference...

From their website:

Quote:OUR MISSION: Leading the fight to treat and cure ALS through global research and nationwide advocacy while also empowering people with Lou Gehrig's Disease and their families to live fuller lives by providing them with compassionate care and support.

They do much more than just research a cure.

Right. But this challenge is to specifically raise money for research.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
19-08-2014, 11:02 AM
To give you an idea of how well my FB friends have promoted it, I didn't even realize it was a charity thing until I ran across this thread. I read #alsicebucketchallenge as "Al's Ice Bucket Challenge" and thought "Who the fuck is Al...?" Blush

Anyway, I hate feeling compelled to participate in stuff like this, so if anyone had tagged/challenged me, I would have completely ignored it.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
19-08-2014, 12:54 PM
(19-08-2014 05:05 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Btw - the ALS organization (according to their last audited report) brought in 55 million dollars. Of that 55 million, 7% went to research! 7! And 10% went to salaries and administrative costs, and 18% went towards fundraising.

So yeah. Dumping ice on yourself and giving $10, a lousy 70 cents went to fucking finding a cure. Making a difference man. Making a difference...

This is, of course, a bald faced lie that you picked up on a viral video, failing to check this liar's figures for yourself which would have demonstrated that he is a lying liar. But go ahead. Question everything! Smile

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
19-08-2014, 12:56 PM
(19-08-2014 05:11 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Glad you asked. 7% of every dollar they take in go towards research. Only 7%. 28% goes to fundraising and admin costs.

How embarrassing will it be when she sees those figures are actually reversed. Did you look this up for yourself, or do you get your info from shirtless Facebook videos?

Visit my blog
19-08-2014, 01:08 PM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2014 01:15 PM by TwoCultSurvivor.)
(19-08-2014 05:20 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  And two cult - I have a list of charities that I put on a rotating basis. I'd go broke if I donated every year to everything I care about. I'm very sorry to hear about your sister.

Let's agree that your decision to give or not give to this cause is not an issue, and if ANYTHING I say makes it seem to be an issue, please call me out on my misstatement, because that would be flat out wrong.

Where we disagree is in your enthusiastic effort to undermine this campaign, first by just poo-pooing it, and now by spreading misinformation about the ALS Association and how they allocate the funds they raise.

Here is the VALID information:
Administration: 7 percent
Fundraising: 14 percent
Patient and Community Services: 19 percent
Research: 27 percent
Public and Professional Education: 32 percent

That's not merely "not participating in the ice bucket challenge." That's undermining a good cause with misinformation.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that "half the people on FB don't even mention the word ALS, and they are dumping to AVOID donating." I'm sure some people fit that description, but how in the hell does the ALS Association raise $20 million more this year than last year if this whole fad is about people AVOIDING making donations?

Assuming your made-up stat to be true, half the people on FB are spreading the message about ALS and are dumping in addition to giving. The vast majority of those people were not donors to ALS last year. And ALS has benefitted to the tune of $20 million.

The ALS Association is about research. It is also about education. It is also about helping people who have to live the last years of their lives with this disease. And the association does a heck of a job! All to be undermined by some flake on Facebook who made up stats and claims he got them from the ALS Association Website. I encourage that guy to enroll in a basic reading comprehension course, because his slanderous assault on the ALS Association is seriously not appreciated.

http://www.alsa.org/about-us/financial-information.html

Visit my blog
19-08-2014, 01:13 PM
(19-08-2014 05:22 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 05:15 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  From their website:

They do much more than just research a cure.

Right. But this challenge is to specifically raise money for research.

No, this is specifically to raise money for ALS. Research is part of that, but so is buying a wheelchair for someone recently diagnosed who suddenly can't use her arms or legs. So is a special bed. So is a home health aide to change the diapers she suddenly needs. That's not research, but if you think it's not appreciated by those living with ALS, then you are looking at this with blinders.

We cannot talk about this campaign "specifically" being to raise money for research, because that is not how the campaign was conceived or how it developed. Seriously, are you just making stuff up? This campaign started to raise money for charity. Any charity. It somehow got attached to ALS and that association, for whatever reason, stuck. So it became about ALS Awareness. Some people said research in their videos. Yippee. But it's not a formal campaign in that sense, and to talk about its "specific" intent is to talk out your butt. There is no specific intent.

Visit my blog
19-08-2014, 01:18 PM
(19-08-2014 01:13 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 05:22 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Right. But this challenge is to specifically raise money for research.

No, this is specifically to raise money for ALS. Research is part of that, but so is buying a wheelchair for someone recently diagnosed who suddenly can't use her arms or legs. So is a special bed. So is a home health aide to change the diapers she suddenly needs. That's not research, but if you think it's not appreciated by those living with ALS, then you are looking at this with blinders.

We cannot talk about this campaign "specifically" being to raise money for research, because that is not how the campaign was conceived or how it developed. Seriously, are you just making stuff up? This campaign started to raise money for charity. Any charity. It somehow got attached to ALS and that association, for whatever reason, stuck. So it became about ALS Awareness. Some people said research in their videos. Yippee. But it's not a formal campaign in that sense, and to talk about its "specific" intent is to talk out your butt. There is no specific intent.

I have found this to be the case with Cathy when she is demonstrably wrong she will keep retreating into made up facts and figures and eventually into a "I'm right because Feels" position. It's a shame because she has a lot of good input otherwise.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
19-08-2014, 01:27 PM
The ALS Association gets a B+ rating from The American Institute of Philanthropy, and is on the list of that group's top-rated charities. I assure you, NO health-related charity that spends 27 percent of its raised funds on administrative costs makes such a list.

http://www.charitywatch.org/toprated.html#health

Visit my blog
19-08-2014, 01:33 PM
(19-08-2014 01:18 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I have found this to be the case with Cathy when she is demonstrably wrong she will keep retreating into made up facts and figures and eventually into a "I'm right because Feels" position. It's a shame because she has a lot of good input otherwise.

I don't know Cathy and have nothing bad to say about her. I am trying very hard to direct my comments at the content of her posts and not make it personal. If someone doesn't want to participate in this effort, that's every individual's choice.

But if you're going to be critical of the effort, then the criticism should make sense. It doesn't. Not when you look at the indisputable results.

And if you're going to cite stats about an organization's allocations, get your information from a reputable source. A shirtless guy on Facebook who spouts false numbers that can be easily checked -- not a reputable source. I am SO glad I saw that video before I read Cathy's post, which parrots it (whether she got it from him directly or not, it's false information and needs to be refuted).

There ARE charities that take advantage of donor generosity for the financial gain of the people running the charities. They are called CHURCHES. The ALS Association does not deserve to be tainted with such slander.

Visit my blog