ALS ice challenge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2014, 01:59 PM
RE: ALS ice challenge
(19-08-2014 05:20 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I'm not saying the gimmick itself is a problem. I agree, it raises awareness. What I am saying is that half the people on FB don't even mention the word ALS, and they are dumping to AVOID donating. It doesn't matter how much you donate, but don't do something to specifically avoid it.
Colossal numbers of people who are "doing something to avoid it" are, in fact, giving as well.
Quote:If you don't have an extra $90, that's fine. Then donate your TIME. The very fact that many A list celebrities have done this challenge and the donations stand at a measles $10 million tells you that even the celebs aren't donating. $1,000 from Britney Spears? Are you fucking kidding Me? She walks around with a $4,000 handbag!
Oh boo-freaking-hoo! Let's see: amount Spears donated to ALS last year = $0. Amount she donated this year = $1,000. That's called success (and it covers 9 other people who gave nothing). Meanwhile, she encourages other people who did not give before to give this year. That's called success.

ALL these people, by the way, get added to the ALSA's database and can be hit up for future contributions. Not all will return as donors, but many will. And those are all contributions that would not have been made without this silly gimmick.

Then you have Charlie Sheen, who redefined WINNING by emptying his bucket to reveal $10,000 (I'm sorry, is that enough for you? Maybe they should have checked with you first?) and challenging Jon Cryer, Ashton Kutcher and Chuck Lorre to match him. WINNING!!!!! $10,000 that would not have been donated otherwise. BRAVO!

Thank the FSM for Britney Spears and her paltry donation. We could use a few more paltry donations from people who can afford it, especially people who are first time donors to the cause.

Stop pissing in our ice buckets!

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2014, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2014 03:02 PM by Cathym112.)
(19-08-2014 01:08 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 05:20 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  And two cult - I have a list of charities that I put on a rotating basis. I'd go broke if I donated every year to everything I care about. I'm very sorry to hear about your sister.

Let's agree that your decision to give or not give to this cause is not an issue, and if ANYTHING I say makes it seem to be an issue, please call me out on my misstatement, because that would be flat out wrong.

Where we disagree is in your enthusiastic effort to undermine this campaign, first by just poo-pooing it, and now by spreading misinformation about the ALS Association and how they allocate the funds they raise.

Here is the VALID information:
Administration: 7 percent
Fundraising: 14 percent
Patient and Community Services: 19 percent
Research: 27 percent
Public and Professional Education: 32 percent

That's not merely "not participating in the ice bucket challenge." That's undermining a good cause with misinformation.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that "half the people on FB don't even mention the word ALS, and they are dumping to AVOID donating." I'm sure some people fit that description, but how in the hell does the ALS Association raise $20 million more this year than last year if this whole fad is about people AVOIDING making donations?

Assuming your made-up stat to be true, half the people on FB are spreading the message about ALS and are dumping in addition to giving. The vast majority of those people were not donors to ALS last year. And ALS has benefitted to the tune of $20 million.

The ALS Association is about research. It is also about education. It is also about helping people who have to live the last years of their lives with this disease. And the association does a heck of a job! All to be undermined by some flake on Facebook who made up stats and claims he got them from the ALS Association Website. I encourage that guy to enroll in a basic reading comprehension course, because his slanderous assault on the ALS Association is seriously not appreciated.

http://www.alsa.org/about-us/financial-information.html

awww lookie here. Here is the actual numbers from 2012. As you can see, these are the actual numbers out of 2012 financial statement:

Research $3,904,240 7.71%
Other program activities $32,214,563 63.63%
Fundraising $9,169,818 18.11%
General & administration $5,335,872 10.54%
Total expenses $50,624,493 100.00%
Change in net assets: $4,822,279

http://www.alsa.org/assets/pdfs/2012-ann...iation.pdf

Here is 2013:

TOTAL COMBINED REVENUE $64,661,521
TOTAL COMBINED EXPENSES
Research $ 6,616,367
Other program activities 40,164,177
Fundraising 9,137,186
General & administration $ 5,414,990

http://web.alsa.org/site/DocServer/annua...cID=107222

So out of a combined revenue of almost 65 million, only 6.6 mil was donated. Do I need to do that math for you as to what the percentage is donated to research. Hint: its not 27%

I look forward to your apology of accusing me of making shit up.

I do not make up numbers, or make up shit, and most certainly fact check. So there's that. Angry

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
19-08-2014, 02:59 PM
(19-08-2014 12:56 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 05:11 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Glad you asked. 7% of every dollar they take in go towards research. Only 7%. 28% goes to fundraising and admin costs.

How embarrassing will it be when she sees those figures are actually reversed. Did you look this up for yourself, or do you get your info from shirtless Facebook videos?

Embarrassing? Whose going to be embarrassed? Certainly not me because I actually looked at the financial statements. If anyone is going to be embarrassed, it should be you.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
19-08-2014, 03:01 PM
(19-08-2014 01:18 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 01:13 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  No, this is specifically to raise money for ALS. Research is part of that, but so is buying a wheelchair for someone recently diagnosed who suddenly can't use her arms or legs. So is a special bed. So is a home health aide to change the diapers she suddenly needs. That's not research, but if you think it's not appreciated by those living with ALS, then you are looking at this with blinders.

We cannot talk about this campaign "specifically" being to raise money for research, because that is not how the campaign was conceived or how it developed. Seriously, are you just making stuff up? This campaign started to raise money for charity. Any charity. It somehow got attached to ALS and that association, for whatever reason, stuck. So it became about ALS Awareness. Some people said research in their videos. Yippee. But it's not a formal campaign in that sense, and to talk about its "specific" intent is to talk out your butt. There is no specific intent.

I have found this to be the case with Cathy when she is demonstrably wrong she will keep retreating into made up facts and figures and eventually into a "I'm right because Feels" position. It's a shame because she has a lot of good input otherwise.

Except that I'm not wrong. I posted the numbers above. And the only thing I've been wrong about is the drug thing, which I acknowledged and apologized for. Yes

19-08-2014, 03:04 PM
(19-08-2014 02:49 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 01:08 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Let's agree that your decision to give or not give to this cause is not an issue, and if ANYTHING I say makes it seem to be an issue, please call me out on my misstatement, because that would be flat out wrong.

Where we disagree is in your enthusiastic effort to undermine this campaign, first by just poo-pooing it, and now by spreading misinformation about the ALS Association and how they allocate the funds they raise.

Here is the VALID information:
Administration: 7 percent
Fundraising: 14 percent
Patient and Community Services: 19 percent
Research: 27 percent
Public and Professional Education: 32 percent

That's not merely "not participating in the ice bucket challenge." That's undermining a good cause with misinformation.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that "half the people on FB don't even mention the word ALS, and they are dumping to AVOID donating." I'm sure some people fit that description, but how in the hell does the ALS Association raise $20 million more this year than last year if this whole fad is about people AVOIDING making donations?

Assuming your made-up stat to be true, half the people on FB are spreading the message about ALS and are dumping in addition to giving. The vast majority of those people were not donors to ALS last year. And ALS has benefitted to the tune of $20 million.

The ALS Association is about research. It is also about education. It is also about helping people who have to live the last years of their lives with this disease. And the association does a heck of a job! All to be undermined by some flake on Facebook who made up stats and claims he got them from the ALS Association Website. I encourage that guy to enroll in a basic reading comprehension course, because his slanderous assault on the ALS Association is seriously not appreciated.

http://www.alsa.org/about-us/financial-information.html

awww lookie here. Here is the actual numbers from 2012. As you can see, these are the actual numbers out of 2012 financial statement:

Here is 2013:

TOTAL COMBINED EXPENSES
Research $ 6,616,367
Fundraising 9,137,186

So out of a combined revenue of almost 65 million, only 6.6 mil was donated. Do I need to do that math for you as to what the percentage is donated to research. Hint: its not 27%

I do not make up numbers, or make up shit, and most certainly fact check. So there's that. Angry

Where did you find your numbers in that statement because the numbers listed look very different

[Image: e5d61b623d2085cfaf3b671d558a7cdc.png]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
19-08-2014, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2014 03:49 PM by Cathym112.)
(19-08-2014 02:59 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 12:56 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  How embarrassing will it be when she sees those figures are actually reversed. Did you look this up for yourself, or do you get your info from shirtless Facebook videos?

Embarrassing? Whose going to be embarrassed? Certainly not me because I actually looked at the financial statements. If anyone is going to be embarrassed, it should be you.

From my sister, who does fraud audits for nonprofits and compliance consulting.

"Often times, a charity or organization will disperse their allocated funds during the first and second quarters. That way, they can boost their percentages and look good to donors. While this may be slightly disingenuous, there is nothing inherently wrong with this tactic and is common practice among 501s."

19-08-2014, 03:48 PM
(19-08-2014 03:04 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 02:49 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  awww lookie here. Here is the actual numbers from 2012. As you can see, these are the actual numbers out of 2012 financial statement:

Here is 2013:

TOTAL COMBINED EXPENSES
Research $ 6,616,367
Fundraising 9,137,186

Where did you find your numbers in that statement because the numbers listed look very different

[Image: e5d61b623d2085cfaf3b671d558a7cdc.png]

Page 12 for 2012. Under consolidated chapters

19-08-2014, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2014 05:18 PM by Cathym112.)
(19-08-2014 01:13 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 05:22 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Right. But this challenge is to specifically raise money for research.

No, this is specifically to raise money for ALS. Research is part of that, but so is buying a wheelchair for someone recently diagnosed who suddenly can't use her arms or legs. So is a special bed. So is a home health aide to change the diapers she suddenly needs. That's not research, but if you think it's not appreciated by those living with ALS, then you are looking at this with blinders.

We cannot talk about this campaign "specifically" being to raise money for research, because that is not how the campaign was conceived or how it developed. Seriously, are you just making stuff up? This campaign started to raise money for charity. Any charity. It somehow got attached to ALS and that association, for whatever reason, stuck. So it became about ALS Awareness. Some people said research in their videos. Yippee. But it's not a formal campaign in that sense, and to talk about its "specific" intent is to talk out your butt. There is no specific intent.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamond/2...ollars-go/

Here is a quote from the article, which states specifically that the challenge is for...wait for it...RESEARCH.

Also, from Time magazine, "The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge has quickly gone from a fundraising campaign to a viral Internet sensation, raising $15.6 million so far for the ALS Association to research Lou Gehrig’s disease."

http://time.com/3136507/als-ice-bucket-c...e-started/

But I guess those magazines have misunderstood what the ice bucket challenge is now for?

Regardless of what it started out to be, I'm talking about NOW. And NOW it's specifically for research. My ass apparently has the facts correct.

19-08-2014, 05:21 PM
How you are able to say people are doing things to avoid donating is beyond me. Do you know this for a fact. Every single person is using the ice bucket thing as a way to keep their money in their pockets.

You have become quite hard to converse with on any level. Never wrong, always expert regardless of the topic. You are unwilling to even consider any view other than your own.

Confidence is a wonderful thing. Smugness, quite another.

I know not to take any rep as you will throw a fit, so I will let it stand. But I am not interested in your high and mighty attitude any more.

Be well - live long and prosper.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
19-08-2014, 05:30 PM
I found a legit reason to not do the ice water challenge. It's very dangerous.

lol