ALS ice challenge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2014, 12:29 PM
RE: ALS ice challenge
I thought you would have said that sooner. There is a video of a shirtless sanctimonious nut going around making the exact same points you were making, using the exact same numbers. So I put it out there as an assumption, recognizing that you would shoot me down if I was off base. Delayed reaction, but you did it. Regardless, the info WAS the same, so the substance of my disagreement with you stands. But ok, let's sort it out...

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2014, 12:32 PM
Cathym112, I have ready many of you post in this thread. Just something to consider from my point of view. I have been and currently are involved in organization that require outside funds (donations) to operate. For some reason people, not all but most, are reluctant to give money with out there being a gimmick of some sort. So organizations are reduced to producing a gimmick to raise funds. The organization would actually be better served if people gave half of what they paid for whatever the gimmick happens to be. This is a great fund raising gimmick for ALS because it cost them no money and is self sustaining, at least for now. It will run its course and they will have a massive fall off in funding next year. My kids got challenged and put up $10 each and dumped ice on there head. So far I am on the hook for $30 since I told them I would match their donation +$10 of my own. I still have a kid left.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
20-08-2014, 12:36 PM
(20-08-2014 12:29 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  I thought you would have said that sooner. There is a video of a shirtless sanctimonious nut going around making the exact same points you were making, using the exact same numbers. So I put it out there as an assumption, recognizing that you would shoot me down if I was off base. Delayed reaction, but you did it. Regardless, the info WAS the same, so the substance of my disagreement with you stands. But ok, let's sort it out...

I missed the post. Otherwise I would have . Sadcryface2

I look forward to hearing what ALS association had to say about the numbers.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
20-08-2014, 12:39 PM
(20-08-2014 12:32 PM)wazzel Wrote:  Cathym112, I have ready many of you post in this thread. Just something to consider from my point of view. I have been and currently are involved in organization that require outside funds (donations) to operate. For some reason people, not all but most, are reluctant to give money with out there being a gimmick of some sort. So organizations are reduced to producing a gimmick to raise funds. The organization would actually be better served if people gave half of what they paid for whatever the gimmick happens to be. This is a great fund raising gimmick for ALS because it cost them no money and is self sustaining, at least for now. It will run its course and they will have a massive fall off in funding next year. My kids got challenged and put up $10 each and dumped ice on there head. So far I am on the hook for $30 since I told them I would match their donation +$10 of my own. I still have a kid left.

How sad for humanity if a gimmick is required for people to donate. No

Awesome job in matching their donation Thumbsup

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
20-08-2014, 12:50 PM
(20-08-2014 12:39 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 12:32 PM)wazzel Wrote:  Cathym112, I have ready many of you post in this thread. Just something to consider from my point of view. I have been and currently are involved in organization that require outside funds (donations) to operate. For some reason people, not all but most, are reluctant to give money with out there being a gimmick of some sort. So organizations are reduced to producing a gimmick to raise funds. The organization would actually be better served if people gave half of what they paid for whatever the gimmick happens to be. This is a great fund raising gimmick for ALS because it cost them no money and is self sustaining, at least for now. It will run its course and they will have a massive fall off in funding next year. My kids got challenged and put up $10 each and dumped ice on there head. So far I am on the hook for $30 since I told them I would match their donation +$10 of my own. I still have a kid left.

How sad for humanity if a gimmick is required for people to donate. No

Awesome job in matching their donation Thumbsup

Sad or not it is reality.
20-08-2014, 01:12 PM
(20-08-2014 12:12 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Two Cult - I think we were talking past each other a lot. I was not disagreeing that the campaign was a good thing, and that getting people to donate was great. I was just saying that the sheer number of people doing the challenge vs the amount donating signifies that a lot of people think they dump the ice in lieu of donating, despite the ability to donate.

First rule of philanthropy: never second-guess someone's willingness (or unwillingness) to give. I give to this cause for my reasons. I don't give to the Girl Scouts. It's not that I have anything against them. It's just, if I gave to every cause, I'd be broke. So someone doesn't give? So what? They keep the message moving. They do it imperfectly. So what? Still a dramatic improvement over last year. The ALS Association's Website is spiking from people looking for information about the disease, so awareness is increasing. If that means a few people jump on the bandwagon, post a cute video, don't give a dime, and don't make a difference, so what? Seriously -- fundraising campaigns are not about counting the misses, they're about getting hits. And this is one campaign that is getting a LOT of hits.

Quote:I hear what you are saying, in that it doesn't matter because it indirectly gets other people to donate. While thats true, can you imagine how much better designed this challenge could have been if it simply told people that nomination means donation. Even if you can only donate $10.

Have some respect for people: Lots of folks are doing both, or finding some other clever way of donating. Did you see Charlie Sheen's video? WINNING! It was awesome. I think I said that yesterday, but if I didn't, WINNING! The Miami Marlins baseball team auctioned off the opportunity to douse its star player. My auction raised less than a 10th of that. Smile

Again, you're talking about the design of this challenge as if it were formally designed. It wasn't. It probably wouldn't have worked if it was. This was a wild mustang that some cowboy threw a saddle and reins on, mounted, and hung onto for dear life. So it won't win a horse show -- it'll still.... okay, my allegory broke down, but you get the idea. This wasn't the product of some consultant in a board room. It was a real thing that was co-opted by a deserving charity (out of many deserving charities that could have benefited).

Quote:Its estimated by several unverifiable articles that as many as 9,000,000 (although some articles only have it to around 1,000,000) people have done the challenge. If the donation is up to as much as 22 million, with 600,000 new donors, thats really pathetic, especially when we have A list celebs involved.

You're looking at it all wrong, though! That's just my opinion. I think without the 10 million pourers, we would not have had 600,000 new donors who have raised $31 million (latest figure). Again, so WHAT if people aren't giving. They're still spreading the word to people who ARE giving. Celebrate that!

Quote:Its our personality differences for you to look at it as great no matter what, and my personality as a call for us to do better. Both of us have the same goal. Angel

Correction: I would not look at it as great if it did not raise any money. But when you have something that turns $1.9 million in donations into $31 million, you're entitled to say it's a great achievement even while recognizing that more could have been raised.

Quote:And I don't need your money for my charity. Give that to your sister as my indirect donation. I need your body. Your literal body.
I knew it! She needs my body. Oh yeah. Renting a room as we speak...

Quote: I run a search and rescue K9 organization in upstate new york. We always need new bodies to hide in the woods for us and play victim. Yes

There are similar charities and I will make a donation locally in honor of our spat.

Quote:Thank you for the apology. Please know that I don't make up numbers, and always fact check to the best of my ability. If I am wrong about the numbers or have misunderstood them, I will freely admit that.

Likewise. The apology was because I made it personal, which I was trying not to do. I failed. But I promise to keep trying to keep it about the issue and not about the people making the points.

Visit my blog
20-08-2014, 01:14 PM
[Image: 10629727_907282639301168_3614238792899662808_n.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 5 users Like Revenant77x's post
20-08-2014, 01:45 PM
(20-08-2014 12:39 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  How sad for humanity if a gimmick is required for people to donate. No

But it's reality. We need a walkathon. We need a telethon. We need a bake sale. We need cookies. We need an impetus.

Do you know how much planning it takes the ALS Association in South Florida to put on a walkathon? You need to recruit sponsors, recruit walkers, secure a venue, line up entertainment, print T-shirts.... And the same goes for any other charity doing any similar event.

The cost of the ice bucket challenge is SOOOOOO much closer to $0.00

The only overhead is the bucket, right before the drop.

Visit my blog
20-08-2014, 01:46 PM
There are more than enough topics in the forums that can be shredded, chewed up and spit out. Does everything have to be a goddamn debate?

Again, if somebody I loved had ALS, I wouldn't give a flying fuck why or how they chose to donate. I wouldn't care if they did it out of guilt and/or decided to post it all over the mother fucking country. Every single dollar will do the same good, NO matter the reason behind it. Angry

I'd bet my life that the sweet young guy in this video could care less how the money arrives...

http://www.upworthy.com/the-last-ice-buc...g=2&c=ufb1

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes CindysRain's post
20-08-2014, 01:49 PM
I know this guy does not care where the money comes from.

http://whodatdish.com/2014/08/12/steve-g...lenge-als/
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post