ANTS!!!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2015, 10:20 AM
ANTS!!!!!
Goddamn ants. We can't get rid of them. One just crawled across my laptop screen. We seem to be living on top of a huge nest of ants and when we called in a exterminator the price was going to be waaaaaay out of our budget. (We have two kids in college who both need cars so.......money is going elsewhere.)

Is there a way to rid ourselves of these pesky ants besides an exterminator. I don't suppose there's a non toxic method is there. These are little tiny guys, not red ants. They don't bite.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2015, 10:36 AM
RE: ANTS!!!!!
(20-05-2015 10:20 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Goddamn ants. We can't get rid of them. One just crawled across my laptop screen. We seem to be living on top of a huge nest of ants and when we called in a exterminator the price was going to be waaaaaay out of our budget. (We have two kids in college who both need cars so.......money is going elsewhere.)

Is there a way to rid ourselves of these pesky ants besides an exterminator. I don't suppose there's a non toxic method is there. These are little tiny guys, not red ants. They don't bite.

I've heard vinegar works well, mix with equal amount of water in spray bottle and spray on entry points.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
20-05-2015, 10:43 AM
(20-05-2015 10:20 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Goddamn ants. We can't get rid of them. One just crawled across my laptop screen. We seem to be living on top of a huge nest of ants and when we called in a exterminator the price was going to be waaaaaay out of our budget. (We have two kids in college who both need cars so.......money is going elsewhere.)

Raid did the trick for us. Sprayed under cabinets, behind the appliances you can move, around windows...etc. Also make sure that plants that might attract them aren't touching the house (we've got a cherry tree the ants seem to love).

Also keeping everything painfully clean -- not a crumb out.

It's going to be a bad year. No winter to speak of to kill the fuckers off. Smile

Good luck.

We used to pay for an exterminator for years to come out every couple months -- honestly it was a waste of money.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

20-05-2015, 11:33 AM
Cinnamon also works on the little buggers if they have an entry point(s) you can find spread it there.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
20-05-2015, 12:25 PM
The ants just love the cat food I put down. I've had to resort to placing the cat food plate inside another deeper dish that is full of water with the cat food plate sitting on top of a trivet in the middle of the water....if that makes sense. The ants can't swim in the water to get to the cat food. My kitties aren't thrilled with the set up but I have no other choice.

So I'll try the Raid. See what happens.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
20-05-2015, 12:34 PM

Which kind?

If it's sugar ants, you're SOL.

My aunt's an exterminator and she says they are the hardest thing in the world to keep at bay.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
20-05-2015, 12:35 PM
(20-05-2015 10:36 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  

I've heard vinegar works well, mix with equal amount of water in spray bottle and spray on entry points.

Vinegar attracts fruit flies.

20-05-2015, 12:38 PM
(20-05-2015 12:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(20-05-2015 10:36 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  I've heard vinegar works well, mix with equal amount of water in spray bottle and spray on entry points.

Vinegar attracts fruit flies.

Could use cider vinegar then which is also useful against fruit flies.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
20-05-2015, 12:39 PM
(20-05-2015 12:38 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(20-05-2015 12:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Vinegar attracts fruit flies.

Could use cider vinegar then which is also useful against fruit flies.

Well yeah... if you're trapping them.

20-05-2015, 12:40 PM
Once you've prudently checked your home insurance policy, this seems to be a lot more interesting than, "use Raid".

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce