ANTS!!!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2015, 01:49 PM
ANTS!!!!!
Many years ago, I was telling my elderly neighbour about an ant infestation and my failed attempts to get rid of them. He looked at me with his mysterious knowing gaze and said "just kneel down near to them and simply ask them to go away, that's what I do and they never bother me".

I never tried it just in case he was watching from the window pissing himself laughing.

One nest in the grass, I did scoop the top off, pour a litre of petrol in and chucked a match in. That worked for a while and was great fun anyway.

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2015, 02:07 PM
RE: ANTS!!!!!
(20-05-2015 01:12 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(20-05-2015 01:09 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Well, I don't think they're sugar ants but I'm not sure. How do you know if they're sugar ants. They're small, black and don't seem to bite. They eat just about anything, especially my cat's cat food. My oldest cat has to have prescription cat food and they love the stuff. If I don't set the cat food bowl inside another bowl of water on a trivet they swarm all over it and my cat walks over and gives me the evil eye. It's scary.

Yep.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the most invincible insect.

Edit: "Sugar ant" is their unofficial Southern name. Their real name is literally "little black ant".

Shit. I tried putting the cat food in the hallway on our second floor but they found that too. I live in Portland OR and didn't have ant problems until about 6 months ago.

I've had to put the sugar, honey and anything sweet in the refrigerator.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they figure out how to open the refrigerator door, load it on a truck and drive away with all our food.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
20-05-2015, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2015 02:15 PM by dancefortwo.)
(20-05-2015 01:37 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  I've had pretty good results with this without killing off any of the 4 legged children.

They've gotten into my steam iron to drink the water in the little water tank. I had to throw an iron away because they clogged the steam holes in the iron. Unbelievable.
I just saw one crawl across the coffee table like he owns the place so I think I'm going to have to go with the Ortho. Thanks.

20-05-2015, 02:14 PM
For real, though, my redneck solution is to just spray the line with RAID or just smash them with my fingers.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
20-05-2015, 02:20 PM
Follow the link....find a store near you that handles the products...call and ask which liquid bait to use (you need to bait these ants).

Don't disturb the trails or start chemical bombing.

Had these ants here in Houston. The bait got rid of them.

Good luck!

http://www.terro.com/retail-store
[+] 1 user Likes JakSiemasz's post
20-05-2015, 02:47 PM
(20-05-2015 01:41 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I've been looking more into it, and this seems like the most logical solution.

Bad plan. Ant eaters never clean out an entire colony. They want it to still be there the next time they come by.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
20-05-2015, 02:55 PM
Terro

It's the low tech, no pesticide solution -- and muthafucka -- it WORKS....

It's simply borax in a sugar solution --- it's non-poisonous.....

Except to ants.....

You put it on the trails they follow --- you have to watch them at work to figure out where ----

They take this stuff back to the nest -- and in a few days it plugs up their digestive tract - and they all die......

Cheap too...

Try it -- you WILL be amazed....

(and no - I have no financial gain from them)...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
20-05-2015, 03:03 PM
Re: ANTS!!!!!
I'm my part of the south, we call them piss-ants. Borax and sugar didn't help the infestation at my parents house. Worked for other ants, though.

I've noticed that keeping leaves, brush, tree limbs, dead grass, etc. raked away from the outside walls of the house seems to help.
20-05-2015, 03:38 PM
I happen to have a box of the Borax so I'll try the Borax/sugar combo first. If that doesn't work I'll go with the Ortho. If that doesn't work I'll just burn the house down.

20-05-2015, 04:04 PM
Leave a pot of honey or sugar water closer and closer to your neighbor's house each day.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post