ATHEISM IS FAITH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2012, 03:04 PM
RE: ATHEISM IS FAITH
(05-04-2012 02:46 PM)Hooded50 Wrote:  Someone asked me to define "God/Yahweh" :

God is non-temporal spirit being, who is omnipresent, omnicient, everlasting, good, just, creative, and unchanging. He transcends time, space, and physical laws.

You'd think a God so great wouldn't be so hung up on people's opinions of him Wink Or what people do and sending 'em to hell and all. After all that is his good infinitely just plan.

I say God by your definition has yet to pop out of the woodwork. Unless your word is just shorthand for universe. In which case I believe that the universe exists too.

How do you know all these marvellous facts about God? You got a direct line or you relying on the old word-o-mouth-recorded-in-a-book-which-must-be-true-because-it-says-so schtick?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2012, 03:05 PM
(05-04-2012 02:51 PM)Hooded50 Wrote:  
(05-04-2012 02:13 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  At the start of this thread you claim that atheism is faith, you are yet to provide evidence as to how a lack of belief is faith?

First, I would ask you to define "lack of belief in god".
Lack of bellieve in God. Definition:

I don't see any reason that anything that can be called God, Gods Or Deities should or does exist

Where Exists means:

Observable in any form, Measurable in any form or influencing in any form the objective existence we as humans are experiencing.

Quite quick an dirty but I think it covers 99% of my atheistic definition.

Now...
Please help me with definition of God.
Define God.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
05-04-2012, 03:07 PM
(05-04-2012 03:02 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  a black wombat-like creature roaming around on Keppler-22b
oh man this would be awesome.

[Image: s1hlsk.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-04-2012, 03:23 PM
lack of belief in a god is self explanitory.
05-04-2012, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2012 03:32 PM by morondog.)
(05-04-2012 03:23 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  lack of belief in a god is self explanitory.
apparently, so is lack of ability to spell Tongue

must be that free Scottish university education you were tellin' us about Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
05-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Im blaming my phone for that one Tongue

Also i've never been to uni... Which may explain how bad i spell Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
05-04-2012, 03:55 PM
(05-04-2012 03:05 PM)Observer Wrote:  Lack of bellieve in God. Definition:

I don't see any reason that anything that can be called God, Gods Or Deities should or does exist

Where Exists means:

Observable in any form, Measurable in any form or influencing in any form the objective existence we as humans are experiencing.

Quite quick an dirty but I think it covers 99% of my atheistic definition.

Now...
Please help me with definition of God.
Define God.
Does one have to be able to come up with a reasonable conclusion for the existence of everything before one can reject the possibility of a deity or God? Would they begin as agnostic and as evidence presented itself move to a position of doubt or faith? Is there a such thing as a natural born atheist or theist?

Defining God has been something that billions of countless souls have been trying to do for a long time. Is it fair to say that it would be as difficult to do such a thing without God defining himself for you, as defining the exact way and method that the universe and all that is in it came into existence without a God? I personally find both of them difficult to define realistically.

Gary
05-04-2012, 04:27 PM
(05-04-2012 03:55 PM)gdemoss Wrote:  Defining God has been something that billions of countless souls have been trying to do for a long time.

But now there's technology:

[Image: gwyneth-paltrow1.jpg]

Big Grin

Problem is causality. Life has evolved in sequence; our life to process sequence. To recognize and reinforce pattern, and it becomes rather difficult to see past evolutionary imperative. The old something must come from something conundrum. Yet the answer is astoundingly simple (and even scriptural) - all things come from I. I am that I am is recognizing the eternal now. Nothing exists that is not remembered, learned, experienced; and the assumption is thus "there was a then." But is there? Here I am, pecking at the keys, all that I think I know immediately available for expression when I need to know it. Hasn't it always been thus? If I'm staring at my Gwynnies, I don't need to know nuttin; and usually don't. Big Grin

To extrapolate from my Gwynnies, the reason for my existence is not I but rather you. Therefore I must have a degree of faith that you exist, that you are something like me, that you are the giver of meaning in my life. Why would I be here otherwise, with all the Gwynnies to lose myself in?

I don't take atheism as "lack of belief in god" so much as "lack of belief in your god." And why should I believe in your god, when you are god enough? Silly theists. Big Grin

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
05-04-2012, 05:27 PM
(05-04-2012 04:27 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  when you are god enough? Silly theists. Big Grin

Please expand upon this. Not the silly theist part as I get that and expect that Tongue

Gary
05-04-2012, 05:48 PM
(05-04-2012 05:27 PM)gdemoss Wrote:  
(05-04-2012 04:27 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  when you are god enough? Silly theists. Big Grin

Please expand upon this. Not the silly theist part as I get that and expect that Tongue

Gary

You demand and I acknowledge; what's so difficult? Wanna see some mathematical chicanery in the form of grammar?

I live to serve you.

Which is not a lie as one of "you" is Gwyneth Paltrow - and I'm seriously broke in the head over that girl, so I have no moral qualms making such a declaration. Think it's an accident that the first commandment states - thou shalt have no god before me - rather than "before YHWH?" Name of god is you, book says. Read up. Big Grin

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]