ATHEISM IS FAITH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2012, 10:25 AM
RE: ATHEISM IS FAITH
(09-04-2012 10:18 AM)iambravosierra Wrote:  I always cringe a little when we say that we have faith in science when talking to theists. They don't understand that our faith has been proven time and again with empirical evidence. I know you Know but I could not help myself.
How about when an atheist does have faith in something and the nearest theist implies that somehow that means that we are really believers?

Theist : How do you know nothing bad will happen to your daughter
Atheist : I have faith that my wife will take good care of her.
Theist : So you say you have faith?
Atheist : *facepalm

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2012, 10:44 AM
It is a failure to communicate. The word faith has different meanings. I simply do not use the word any longer. I don't want to misrepresent myself to a theist. Or, god forbid, give them an opening to save me...

“We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”
Richard Dawkins
09-04-2012, 10:51 AM
(09-04-2012 10:44 AM)iambravosierra Wrote:  Or, god forbid
OMG YOU BELIEVE IN GOD DON'T YOU

[Image: s1hlsk.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like le_procyon's post
09-04-2012, 11:23 AM
(09-04-2012 10:51 AM)le_procyon Wrote:  
[sneeze]

Bless you.

OMG GAWWWDDDDZZZZZZ

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
09-04-2012, 01:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2012 01:40 PM by whateverist.)
(05-04-2012 03:55 PM)gdemoss Wrote:  
Quote: Does one have to be able
to come up with a reasonable conclusion for the existence of everything
before one can reject the possibility of a deity or God? Would they
begin as agnostic and as evidence presented itself move to a position of
doubt or faith? Is there a such thing as a natural born atheist or
theist?
Sorry if this quote isn't attributed to the right poster. I'm new here and learning the posting ropes.

As so often happens agnostic is being misunderstood as atheist-lite. One does not need any degree of proof whatsoever to notice your lack of
belief in gods. If nothing you've seen or heard has given you any reason to believe that anything like gods exist, join the club. I haven't
either. But if you want to argue that gods do not exist you'll need to do more than fail to be impressed with the arguments for belief in God.
Now you'll have to get clear on a definition of gods (good luck) and then find evidence for its non-existence. So long as a theist is willing
to define a god as something undetectable except subjectively, then they can go on saying you're not 'tuning in' right to the subjective
signal. There is no reason for you to swallow such swill but why even go there?

How important is it to you to disprove gods? Anything riding on it? Do you really think you can find a new angle that no one
has been able to find up until now? (There has been lots of searching.) Remember you don't at all need to justify the belief you don't have in
gods. If we're honest with ourselves we'll recognize we have no such killer argument, just as theists have nothing convincing that should
entice you to join their camp. Being agnostic is not a kind of limbo between being a theist or an atheist. It is simply a recognition of your
weak epistemic position regarding gods.

That need not entice you to try on faith in gods. There is no reason to question your evaluation which turned up no gods. The reason you
have not found them is very likely that they do not exist. But you no more need a rock solid disprove to maintain your 100% lack of belief in gods
than you do to go on doubting in big foot, Yeti or the flying spaghetti monster.

Is it possible to live your life in such a way that you never make use of a belief for which you have no evidence? I seriously doubt it and the
prospect of trying does not entice me in the least. Of course we have faith in the existence of other minds, the love we have for certain
others and that which they feel for us, and in any number of other things including morals. These things require no objective reality to be
acted on as real by us.

[Image: rSJ3y4]
09-04-2012, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2012 03:22 PM by iambravosierra.)
(09-04-2012 01:30 PM)whateverist Wrote:  
(05-04-2012 03:55 PM)gdemoss Wrote:  
Sorry if this quote isn't attributed to the right poster. I'm new here and learning the posting ropes.

As so often happens agnostic is being misunderstood as atheist-lite. One does not need any degree of proof whatsoever to notice your lack of
belief in gods. If nothing you've seen or heard has given you any reason to believe that anything like gods exist, join the club. I haven't
either. But if you want to argue that gods do not exist you'll need to do more than fail to be impressed with the arguments for belief in God.
Now you'll have to get clear on a definition of gods (good luck) and then find evidence for its non-existence. So long as a theist is willing
to define a god as something undetectable except subjectively, then they can go on saying you're not 'tuning in' right to the subjective
signal. There is no reason for you to swallow such swill but why even go there?

How important is it to you to disprove gods? Anything riding on it? Do you really think you can find a new angle that no one
has been able to find up until now? (There has been lots of searching.) Remember you don't at all need to justify the belief you don't have in
gods. If we're honest with ourselves we'll recognize we have no such killer argument, just as theists have nothing convincing that should
entice you to join their camp. Being agnostic is not a kind of limbo between being a theist or an atheist. It is simply a recognition of your
weak epistemic position regarding gods.

That need not entice you to try on faith in gods. There is no reason to question your evaluation which turned up no gods. The reason you
have not found them is very likely that they do not exist. But you no more need a rock solid disprove to maintain your 100% lack of belief in gods
than you do to go on doubting in big foot, Yeti or the flying spaghetti monster.

Is it possible to live your life in such a way that you never make use of a belief for which you have no evidence? I seriously doubt it and the
prospect of trying does not entice me in the least. Of course we have faith in the existence of other minds, the love we have for certain
others and that which they feel for us, and in any number of other things including morals. These things require no objective reality to be
acted on as real by us.
It is not that atheist try to disprove the existence of a god. That is not the mind set. It is not the task at hand. It is a simple fact that there is no proof for the god to be a serious thought. One stumbling block of thought is god. We as a thinking species have come a very long way since 1859. And we still have a long way to go before we can get rid of the baggage called religion. Religion breaths ignorance. Doubt, test, observe, formulate, prove.
(09-04-2012 10:51 AM)le_procyon Wrote:  
exactly....lol

“We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”
Richard Dawkins
[+] 1 user Likes iambravosierra's post
09-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Atheism is faith? Thankyou. I know very clearly how faith is spoken of so highly in the bible and in Church.
By all means, I appreciate the good words and I extend a hand for you to join us in this wonderful atheistic faith.

"Praise Sweet Baby Jesus!" - RevJ. Cool

My Sites: www.jesuschristarcade.com - www.facebook.com/jesuschristarcade - Twitter@jesusarcade
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like reverendjeremiah's post
10-04-2012, 02:07 AM
(01-04-2012 04:49 PM)Hooded50 Wrote:  I have heard all of the arguments by Atheists against the existence of God. So far, I've not heard anything that amounted to more than speculation and opinion, nor have I seen evidence of Yahweh's non-existence. Atheism is blind faith.
Wow, no evidence of non-existence. That's a shocker. Coincidentally that's the same situation that fits non-existence.
If there is no evidence of non-existence, it is rational to believe existence? NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is no evidence of flying pigs, but I can imagine what a flying pig would look like. As I have no evidence that flying pigs don't exist, and can imagine flying pigs to existence, it is rational for me to believe that somewhere there are pigs that fly.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
10-04-2012, 04:02 AM
(10-04-2012 02:07 AM)Thomas Wrote:  
(01-04-2012 04:49 PM)Hooded50 Wrote:  I have heard all of the arguments by Atheists against the existence of God. So far, I've not heard anything that amounted to more than speculation and opinion, nor have I seen evidence of Yahweh's non-existence. Atheism is blind faith.
Wow, no evidence of non-existence. That's a shocker. Coincidentally that's the same situation that fits non-existence.
If there is no evidence of non-existence, it is rational to believe existence? NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is no evidence of flying pigs, but I can imagine what a flying pig would look like. As I have no evidence that flying pigs don't exist, and can imagine flying pigs to existence, it is rational for me to believe that somewhere there are pigs that fly.
As soon as my pig catapult is completed, it will be rational Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-04-2012, 10:46 AM
The sad thing is, we pretty much can't use the word 'faith' in the sense of having trust in someone or something because of all the theists who equivocate the different senses of the word when an atheist uses it. It's like the wave function of the word suddenly collapses into only one meaning.