ATHEIST definition changed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2017, 02:52 PM
atheist
: a person who does not believe in the existence of a god or any gods : one who subscribes to or advocates atheism

Merriam-Webster recently changed the definition of Atheist as seen above. Previously they said an Atheist was someone who believed that there is no god or gods.

I am VERY pleased with this change.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 19 users Like psybj's post
08-06-2017, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2017 03:37 PM by Cosmo.)
RE: ATHEIST definition changed
Edit: I'm on my phone, and for some reason, sometimes, when I try to edit, it will cause a duplication instead. I think I may touch a button I'm not supposed to. I'm sorry. Anyways. Poster is correct. My apologies.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
08-06-2017, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2017 03:35 PM by Cosmo.)
Edit: Poster's correct. New definition b). Didn't even see it. Accidentally made a dupe. Sorry.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
08-06-2017, 03:59 PM
(08-06-2017 02:52 PM)psybj Wrote:  atheist
: a person who does not believe in the existence of a god or any gods : one who subscribes to or advocates atheism

Merriam-Webster recently changed the definition of Atheist as seen above. Previously they said an Atheist was someone who believed that there is no god or gods.

Succinct but accurate. A welcome change indeed.
[+] 3 users Like Rachel's post
08-06-2017, 04:31 PM

hmmm, subscribing to atheism? is like describing reality based on atheism? or do we still get to reality describe describe itself?
08-06-2017, 04:37 PM
I "subscribe" to the default, neutral position of remaining unconvinced by empirically unverifiable claims, thank you very much. Drinking Beverage

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 5 users Like cactus's post
08-06-2017, 05:23 PM

It is a little TOO concise but 100% accurate -- it's a belief position, not a knowledge position. I'm pretty sure the distinction will be lost on most, however.

If it had been me, I would have said, "a person who sees no valid reason to believe in the existence of any deities". That's even more concise; the other bit really isn't needed and in any case there's nothing to subscribe to or really even to advocate. Atheism is a side effect of being a person who does not believe in the unsubstantiated.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
08-06-2017, 05:28 PM
(08-06-2017 04:37 PM)cactus Wrote:  I "subscribe" to the default, neutral position of remaining unconvinced by empirically unverifiable claims, thank you very much. Drinking Beverage

Drinking Beverage

I agree. it just becomes problematic when some people just don't know what they don't know and what is empirical is dismissed with "i don't believe that." or "I do belief claims not observation based claims."
[+] 1 user Likes AB517's post
08-06-2017, 05:55 PM
(08-06-2017 05:28 PM)AB517 Wrote:  
(08-06-2017 04:37 PM)cactus Wrote:  I "subscribe" to the default, neutral position of remaining unconvinced by empirically unverifiable claims, thank you very much. Drinking Beverage

Drinking Beverage

I agree. it just becomes problematic when some people just don't know what they don't know and what is empirical is dismissed with "i don't believe that." or "I do belief claims not observation based claims."
Maybe it helps to say "I don't afford belief to unsubstantiated claims" rather than simply the more concise but not as clear semantic shortcut "I don't believe". Belief is not merely an opinion divorced from evidence. It is a determination of where the preponderance of evidence (if any) points -- with the burden of proof needed to overcome the skeptical default being the greatest for the most consequential and fantastical claims.
08-06-2017, 07:10 PM

About time.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post