ATHEIST definition changed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2017, 08:09 PM
RE: ATHEIST definition changed
Let's remember that dictionaries describe how words are used, not how they are supposed to be used. It's descriptive, not prescriptive.

All that said, it's a welcome change. A very small one, but welcome nonetheless.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
08-06-2017, 08:19 PM
There is no evidence for any fucking gods. That's my definition and Webster can go fuck itself.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
08-06-2017, 08:26 PM
(08-06-2017 08:19 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  There is no evidence for any fucking gods. That's my definition and Webster can go fuck itself.

"Oh, but that god-shaped hole in your heart is where the detection ability is located." Facepalm
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
08-06-2017, 09:56 PM
Good luck convincing any simpleton Christer that atheists aren't those who have said they hate Jesus in their hearts - or at least someone who will stop at nothing to disparage the holy sky faerie who made us all (sic).

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 2 users Like whateverist's post
09-06-2017, 12:49 AM
Ah awesome! Good job Smile

Sadly most people don't understand the distinction between "don't believe" and "believe is false". I always go back to the jar of sweets. If you have no idea how many sweets are in there, then do you believe there's an even amount? No. But that doesn't mean you believe there isn't an even amount.

I think it's good that any reason for being an atheist is kept out of the definition, because people can get there any way they want. There's enough conflation between atheism and scepticism already.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
09-06-2017, 06:58 AM
Sorta like

Garrison Keillor - "In Lake Wobegon, everyone is Lutheran. Even the atheists. It is a Lutheran God in which they do not believe."

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 8 users Like onlinebiker's post
09-06-2017, 07:06 AM
(09-06-2017 06:58 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Sorta like

Garrison Keillor - "In Lake Wobegon, everyone is Lutheran. Even the atheists. It is a Lutheran God in which they do not believe."

Or sorta like Will Rogers paraphrased: I never met a God concept I didn't disbelieve.

Hobo
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
09-06-2017, 07:13 AM
Good.

Now maybe we can work on changing some other definitions.

theist: someone who is one god away from being right. Tongue

OR

monotheist : An atheist in respect to all gods but one.

polytheist : a person who is very confused. Shy

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
09-06-2017, 08:03 AM
The Aussie Atheist Foundation says...

"Atheism is the acceptance that there is no credible scientific or factually reliable evidence for the existence of a God, gods or the supernatural."

Bear in mind too that Merriam-Webster is an American publisher, and the US has the official motto of "In God We Trust". The seppos don't necessarily always know what they're talking about. Dodgy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
09-06-2017, 08:33 AM
(08-06-2017 08:09 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Let's remember that dictionaries describe how words are used, not how they are supposed to be used. It's descriptive, not prescriptive.
Point taken, and I agree. Theists will sometimes use dictionary definitions to tell us what we MUST mean on any given topic, rather than asking us what we're actually saying (generally, which of the many definitions we're actually using). There is no attempt to be on the same page as them bringing up THEIR preferred definition is a deflection from the actual points being made.

A great example is "faith", a word that generally has the following two dictionary definitions:

1) Strong belief in the doctrines of god or religion based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof

2) Complete trust or confidence in someone or something.

When we critique faith, it is religious faith we are critiquing, definition 1 -- not definition 2, which, when you think of it, is nearly its polar opposite. The faithful always try to claim that religious faith is justified based on experience, hence #2. The dictionary says so!

At any rate, if the dictionary is now coming more into alignment with how atheists see atheism, and that shows a shift in general usage towards something that at least half-assed understands what atheism actually is and isn't, then that's a Good Thing.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post