ATHEIST definition changed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2017, 01:37 PM
RE: ATHEIST definition changed
(08-06-2017 02:52 PM)psybj Wrote:  atheist
: a person who does not believe in the existence of a god or any gods : one who subscribes to or advocates atheism

Merriam-Webster recently changed the definition of Atheist as seen above. Previously they said an Atheist was someone who believed that there is no god or gods.

I am VERY pleased with this change.

MW has trivialized the significance of being an atheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Goshine's post
16-06-2017, 01:42 PM
(16-06-2017 01:37 PM)Goshine Wrote:  MW has trivialized the significance of being an atheist.

Many atheists prefer a more trivial definition. Then atheism is nothing to get up in arms about.
16-06-2017, 01:46 PM
(16-06-2017 01:37 PM)Goshine Wrote:  
(08-06-2017 02:52 PM)psybj Wrote:  atheist
: a person who does not believe in the existence of a god or any gods : one who subscribes to or advocates atheism

Merriam-Webster recently changed the definition of Atheist as seen above. Previously they said an Atheist was someone who believed that there is no god or gods.

I am VERY pleased with this change.

MW has trivialized the significance of being an atheist.

How exactly this alleged trivialization went?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
16-06-2017, 01:58 PM
(16-06-2017 01:42 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(16-06-2017 01:37 PM)Goshine Wrote:  MW has trivialized the significance of being an atheist.

Many atheists prefer a more trivial definition. Then atheism is nothing to get up in arms about.

Nor anything in which to take pride either.

I cannot think of anything else defined by what it lacks while also not being the opposite of something else. Maybe you can?
[+] 1 user Likes Goshine's post
16-06-2017, 02:09 PM
(16-06-2017 01:58 PM)Goshine Wrote:  Nor anything in which to take pride either.

Who exactly is talking about pride? Are we, perchance, projecting a teeny weeny bit? Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-06-2017, 02:20 PM
(16-06-2017 01:58 PM)Goshine Wrote:  
(16-06-2017 01:42 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Many atheists prefer a more trivial definition. Then atheism is nothing to get up in arms about.

Not to worry, I found this. Thumbsup

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-06-2017, 02:34 PM
(16-06-2017 01:58 PM)Goshine Wrote:  
(16-06-2017 01:42 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Many atheists prefer a more trivial definition. Then atheism is nothing to get up in arms about.

I cannot think of anything else defined by what it lacks while also not being the opposite of something else. Maybe you can?

I find many people who say they are atheist are actually just anti-theist and seem to live to fight with theist.
16-06-2017, 02:37 PM
(16-06-2017 02:34 PM)MattB Wrote:  
(16-06-2017 01:58 PM)Goshine Wrote:  Nor anything in which to take pride either.

I find many people who say they are atheist are actually just anti-theist and seem to live to fight with theist.

Or they're both and fed up with the bulshit.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-06-2017, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2017 02:46 PM by Vera.)
(16-06-2017 02:34 PM)MattB Wrote:  seem to live to fight with theist.

yeah, haven't you heard? We've got an army and everything. We call ourselves DA, Dawkins' Army and you have - apparently by mistake - stumbled into the Forum of Requirement.

These are actually the final days before the Big War on Theism finally erupts, drowning the world in rivers of blood and logic. I'd advise all theists still persisting in their obsolete ways to run for cover and pray beg for their lives. Sadly, few will be spared and all be forcefully deconverted.

You have been warned.

Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
16-06-2017, 03:08 PM
(11-06-2017 11:20 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 08:04 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  "Supernatural" means "magic".

Pretty much, yeah! It's when people refuse to come out and admit this that they tangle themselves in knots trying to define this absurd concept.

And what is magic, really? It's just something that's currently impossible to explain. Very subjective. Lots of things would have been magic to ancient man, hence the nonsense written in their books.
Wrong. Magic is just magic. Technology we can't yet understand appears to be magic, but isn't.