ATTN: Call_of_the_Wild - 10 questions about your beliefs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2015, 09:03 AM
RE: ATTN: Call_of_the_Wild - 10 questions about your beliefs
Should I just make this a general questionnaire to the theists interested in debate?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
25-02-2015, 09:41 AM
I would like you destroying call of the wild in a debate but like others said , he is a big pussy.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
25-02-2015, 09:57 AM
(25-02-2015 09:41 AM)Leo Wrote:  I would like you destroying call of the wild in a debate but like others said , he is a big pussy.

Well, I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I'm not a very good debater... I'm okay... meh at best.

I really just want to have a dialogue with him to see where he stands on some of these points. If it breaks out into a debate, so be it.

25-02-2015, 10:02 AM
(25-02-2015 09:57 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(25-02-2015 09:41 AM)Leo Wrote:  I would like you destroying call of the wild in a debate but like others said , he is a big pussy.

Well, I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I'm not a very good debater... I'm okay... meh at best.

I really just want to have a dialogue with him to see where he stands on some of these points. If it breaks out into a debate, so be it.

It doesn't seem that he's interested in dialogue or debate, though. He just wants to feel superior to atheists. You're not an atheist, so he doesn't care about you. Sorry.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
25-02-2015, 11:21 AM
ATTN: Call_of_the_Wild - 10 questions about your beliefs
You'll have a shorter wait for your Second Coming.
25-02-2015, 12:43 PM
I think he is WC's room mate.....

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
25-02-2015, 02:26 PM
(23-02-2015 05:27 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'll throw in a couple...

11. What is your name.
12. What is your quest.
13. What is your favorite colour.

NI

My favorite color is blue, no wait, green.....

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
25-02-2015, 06:57 PM
(23-02-2015 04:48 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm just curious as to what you believe in certain areas of Christianity.

Bet.

(23-02-2015 04:48 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's just easier to ask you directly instead of digging through posts for answers.

That is a true statement Big Grin

(23-02-2015 04:48 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Thank you in advance. Hopefully, we can start up a dialogue based on your answers.

Now thats what I like to hear Thumbsup

(23-02-2015 04:48 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  1) What is your denomination?

I was raised as a Seventh Day Adventist...then moved to Word Faith...now, I don't belong to any specific denominiation, but even if I did, I wouldn't be part of the "organized" aspect of it. Right now I am kinda a "free agent" when it comes to denominations.

(23-02-2015 04:48 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  2) What is your stance on the Doctrine of Free Will versus the Doctrine of Election?

Glad you asked this, and I will keep it real with you...the question regarding free will/predestination/election is, in my opinion, the most difficult question that has ever been raised. So far, I've yet to get a satisfactory answer to this question (not that I've been actively looking), but I admit, this is a tough one.

(23-02-2015 04:48 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  3) What is your Origins stance (ie - YEC, OEC, Progressive Creationist, Theistic Evolutionist, etc)?

I am neutral, I am not for or against YEC or OEC. Both sides cannot be true, and I've considered the arguments from both sides, and I am not persuaded either way. But if I had to choose, I will choose OEC.

I am not a progressive creationist, although I am open to the idea, I just don't see the evidence for it based on the Genesis account.

And I am completely against the idea of theistic evolution.

(23-02-2015 04:48 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  4) What is your eschatological stance (ie - Pre Trib, Post Trib, Amillennial, etc)?

Whewww...I have to admit, I haven't looked into this...and I am learning something new...I briefly scanned the theological positions considering this concept, but I have to do some more research before I give my own interpretation.

(23-02-2015 04:48 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  5) Do you believe in a literal Bible?

Yup. I believe in a literal Bible while acknowledging that there are some symbolic and metaphorical passages in it as well.

(23-02-2015 04:48 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  6) Do you believe in an infallible Bible? Or an inerrant Bible? Or both?

I believe that the Bible contained no errors in the original manuscripts, but realizing that there are copyist errors as it was copied hundreds and hundreds of times...and I do believe in Biblical inerrancy.

(23-02-2015 04:48 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  7) Which version of the Bible do you use for study?

I have a great NIV study Bible.

(23-02-2015 04:48 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  8) What is your background when it comes to Ancient Near East history, culture, and writings?

Slim to none.

(23-02-2015 04:48 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  9) What is your background in regards to the Greek and Hebrew language?

Zero.

(23-02-2015 04:48 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  10) Do you give credence to non-canonized books (ie - Book of Enoch, The Assumption of Moses, Gospel of Thomas, etc)?

I look at those books as divine UNINSPIRED Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes Call_of_the_Wild's post
25-02-2015, 06:59 PM
(24-02-2015 06:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Call his ass out Calvinist. Schedule a real-time discussion on Skype with him and record it for the forum. Pussy'll back out just like he backed out of considered debates where each side takes its time. 'Cause he's a pussy just looking for some Vagisil to reduce the arthritis of the cartilage in his brain.

Laugh out load
26-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the responses. If you see anything you want to discuss just stop me, and we'll talk in more detail.

(25-02-2015 06:57 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  I was raised as a Seventh Day Adventist...then moved to Word Faith...now, I don't belong to any specific denominiation, but even if I did, I wouldn't be part of the "organized" aspect of it. Right now I am kinda a "free agent" when it comes to denominations.

That's a fair enough run down. I can't say I have a positive opinion of either of those denominations. For 7th Day's it's mostly because of Ellen G. White and her cult-like beliefs and "visions" as well as her straight up heresy. But... I know it's not fair to judge an entire denomination by one of its leaders/founders. John Calvin was kind of a dick and I don't want people judging me because of him. So, I'm open to learn more about that denomination.

Now... WoF... that's a different animal. I think I would rather support the KKK instead of them. At least the KKK kills their victims. WoF sucks everything from their victims and tortures them. They are horrible. Gonna stop here so I don't start ranting.

Quote:Glad you asked this, and I will keep it real with you...the question regarding free will/predestination/election is, in my opinion, the most difficult question that has ever been raised. So far, I've yet to get a satisfactory answer to this question (not that I've been actively looking), but I admit, this is a tough one.

That's a refreshing, honest response. I've studied it quite a bit. If you want to discuss it, please let me know.

Quote:I am neutral, I am not for or against YEC or OEC. Both sides cannot be true, and I've considered the arguments from both sides, and I am not persuaded either way. But if I had to choose, I will choose OEC.

I am not a progressive creationist, although I am open to the idea, I just don't see the evidence for it based on the Genesis account.

And I am completely against the idea of theistic evolution.

I can see you've discussed this quite a bit. We can talk about this if you're interested as well.

Quote:Whewww...I have to admit, I haven't looked into this...and I am learning something new...I briefly scanned the theological positions considering this concept, but I have to do some more research before I give my own interpretation.

I'll be honest here... it is by far my weakest part of theology. I really don't like discussing it as it's kind of boring. But that's just me.

Quote:Yup. I believe in a literal Bible while acknowledging that there are some symbolic and metaphorical passages in it as well.

I believe that the Bible contained no errors in the original manuscripts, but realizing that there are copyist errors as it was copied hundreds and hundreds of times...and I do believe in Biblical inerrancy.

This raises some questions, but the ball is in your court. Let me know if you want to discuss these.

Quote:I have a great NIV study Bible.

I hope you don't mind interjecting my quick opinion here:

But... toss that NIV Study Bible or just use it for casual reading. Dynamic Bibles (NIV, NLT, Message, etc) are really bad for study because they take a dynamic approach to translation - ie - they translate an idea instead of words.

Moreover... the NIV... is just... well. Not good. Sorry. It isn't.

Here's a quick exercise. Please do this. Look up these verses in your NIV Bible and I think you'll understand what I'm talking about:

Acts 8:37, Matt 17:21, Matt 18:11, Matt 23:14, Mark 7:16, Mark 9:44 and 46, Mark 11:26, Mark 15:28, Mark 16:9-20, Luke 17:36, Luke 23:17, John 5:4, Acts 15:34, Acts 24:7, Acts 28:29, Rom 16:24, and 1 John 5:7.

Moving on.

Literal translations are much, much better for study. Some literal translations are KJV, NKJV, NASB, or ESV. Out of those, the most accurate and easy to read is the NASB followed by the ESV. I stick with the NASB as I consider it the best of the modern literal translations.

You also have direct literal translations (I made this term up because I don't think there is an actual term to describe them other than "literal"). With the direct literal translations you get just that... direct literal translations - English be damned - from the Greek and Hebrew. The two main players in this are Darby's and the YLT. I suggest using Darby's because it's much easier to read. Sometimes the YLT is like reading a drunk KJV version.

The benefits of the direct literal translations are that they translate the actual language of the verse without it trying to make the English fit.

So, in summary:

Use your NIV for casual reading and an NASB/Darby's combo for study.

Quote:Slim to none.

Zero.

This is something that I would like to discuss if you want to. ANE stuff and Greek and Hebrew are very important to understanding the Bible... IMO anyway. I know some people will disagree.

Quote:I look at those books as divine UNINSPIRED Laugh out load

That's cool. Again, something I would like to talk about if you wish.

Thank you for your honest and COMPLETE answers. You've been great.