ATTN: Erxomai

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2014, 02:19 PM
RE: ATTN: Erxomai
(29-12-2014 01:58 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(29-12-2014 01:49 PM)Stevil Wrote:  What is the point of the creation story? The way it's written seems to me to create much confusion in the audience.

Wouldn't it have been simpler to say "god did it" and be done with it, rather than add these details that make it appear inaccurate, contradicting, sexist, unjust and nonsensical?

What is the point of bringing this thread back?

Nostalgia? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2014, 03:22 PM
(29-12-2014 01:58 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(29-12-2014 01:49 PM)Stevil Wrote:  What is the point of the creation story? The way it's written seems to me to create much confusion in the audience.

Wouldn't it have been simpler to say "god did it" and be done with it, rather than add these details that make it appear inaccurate, contradicting, sexist, unjust and nonsensical?

What is the point of bringing this thread back?
Ooops, didn't realise it was so old. How did I stumble upon this?
Find all posts by this user
29-12-2014, 03:38 PM
(29-12-2014 02:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-12-2014 01:58 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  What is the point of bringing this thread back?

Nostalgia? Consider

That is weird bringing up a thread for nostalgia, but if that is the case.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
29-12-2014, 03:39 PM
(28-06-2012 01:22 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  On a side note:

I don't know why I was getting hung up with the words in the first place.

It seems pretty obvious, especially since I understand the creation story as a myth adaption... basically means it's not literal... at all.

Many modern Christians, like you KC, recognize the mythical status of Noah’s ark, the great flood, the tower of Babel, David and Goliath, Jonah and the whale, the parting of the Red Sea, and other similar stories, yet still claim they are credible accounts. They say myth is not the same as fiction, that these tales tell eternal truths that are more important than whether the events actually happened or not, that it is the “religious truth” of these reports, not the “historical truth,” which is the important thing.

What nonsense! Should not we consider the authors’ intent? The authors expected their readers to literally believe exactly what was written. Throughout history, nearly all Church authorities have taught that these tales were truthful. Only when Christian leaders could no longer ignore science did some of them say that Scripture did not have to be read literally. That is at odds with the intent of the original authors and with what has always been taught. Maybe we should be honest enough to read Scripture in the context in which it was written.

It is interesting to realize that some of the world’s best scientists, film makers and artists of the last 100 years have been Jewish. Many of these luminaries, like their Christian counterparts, have rejected Jewish beliefs. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jewish_atheists). Modern Jews are rapidly becoming more secular, and are ignoring ancient Jewish humbug, which has inadvertently been handed down to Christians and Islamists. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTrN2y_ueBU).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user