ATTN: Theists - Four Questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2016, 07:55 PM
ATTN: Theists - Four Questions
What's your denomination?

Do you believe in election or free will?

What is your eschatological view?

What is your view on origins (ie - YEC, OEC, TE, EC, etc)?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
17-05-2016, 08:18 PM
RE: ATTN: Theists - Four Questions
(17-05-2016 07:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  What's your denomination?

Denomination? Okay, I fall somewhere under the orthodox umbrella. I ran in some black hat circles for a while and I used to be shomer shabbos, but not so much lately. I've got too much secular homework on my plate. I was raised Reform, so that plays into my way of thinking, too.

(17-05-2016 07:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Do you believe in election or free will?

Free will.

(17-05-2016 07:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  What is your eschatological view?

Basically everyone wins in the end. No one needs to be from my religion (or my specific denomination) to get to the finish line. Sure, there is an expectation that people should be good people, and there are 7 handy laws we believe apply to everyone. It's just that the laws are really intuitive, require no "faith" and most people follow them anyway.

(17-05-2016 07:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  What is your view on origins (ie - YEC, OEC, TE, EC, etc)?

I think I can work out that YEC means young earth creationist and OEC means old earth creationist. I can't figure out TE or EC.

I think G-d caused the big bang and G-d either IS the laws of nature, physics, etc or created them. Everything else developed naturally from there. It seems pretty clear that the universe is billions of years old and humans developed from much older proto-humans.
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
17-05-2016, 08:30 PM
(17-05-2016 08:18 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 07:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  What's your denomination?

Denomination? Okay, I fall somewhere under the orthodox umbrella. I ran in some black hat circles for a while and I used to be shomer shabbos, but not so much lately. I've got too much secular homework on my plate. I was raised Reform, so that plays into my way of thinking, too.

(17-05-2016 07:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Do you believe in election or free will?

Free will.

(17-05-2016 07:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  What is your eschatological view?

Basically everyone wins in the end. No one needs to be from my religion (or my specific denomination) to get to the finish line. Sure, there is an expectation that people should be good people, and there are 7 handy laws we believe apply to everyone. It's just that the laws are really intuitive, require no "faith" and most people follow them anyway.

(17-05-2016 07:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  What is your view on origins (ie - YEC, OEC, TE, EC, etc)?

I think I can work out that YEC means young earth creationist and OEC means old earth creationist. I can't figure out TE or EC.

I think G-d caused the big bang and G-d either IS the laws of nature, physics, etc or created them. Everything else developed naturally from there. It seems pretty clear that the universe is billions of years old and humans developed from much older proto-humans.

TE, I assume, is Theory of Evolution.
EC probably is some sort of deity initiated/guided Evolution.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
17-05-2016, 08:32 PM
(17-05-2016 08:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 08:18 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Denomination? Okay, I fall somewhere under the orthodox umbrella. I ran in some black hat circles for a while and I used to be shomer shabbos, but not so much lately. I've got too much secular homework on my plate. I was raised Reform, so that plays into my way of thinking, too.

Free will.

TE, I assume, is Theory of Evolution.
EC probably is some sort of deity initiated/guided Evolution.

I wondered about that too. Blush

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

17-05-2016, 09:03 PM
theistic evolutionist
evolutionary creationist

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
17-05-2016, 09:05 PM
(17-05-2016 08:18 PM)Aliza Wrote:  and I used to be shomer shabbos, but not so much lately.

Walter is disappoint.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 5 users Like evenheathen's post
17-05-2016, 09:08 PM
(17-05-2016 09:03 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  theistic evolutionist
evolutionary creationist

I really just don't have a frame of reference. The vast majority of people I know hold by evolution because that's what the data points to.

I've been shocked to meet a few religious people who hold firmly to a six-day creation, but this is ultimately not a debate that anyone really cares that much about. The point of my religion is how to live a good life, and not how old the earth is.

Let's put it this way: Jesus is discussed about as often as creation is. Practically never.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
17-05-2016, 09:13 PM
(17-05-2016 09:05 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 08:18 PM)Aliza Wrote:  and I used to be shomer shabbos, but not so much lately.

Walter is disappoint.

Nobody rolls on Shabbos. It's specifically mentioned in the Talmud.

DO NOT ROLL ON SHABBOS!
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post
17-05-2016, 09:18 PM
(17-05-2016 09:13 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 09:05 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Walter is disappoint.

Nobody rolls on Shabbos. It's specifically mentioned in the Talmud.

DO NOT ROLL ON SHABBOS!

That's adorable. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-05-2016, 09:46 PM
(17-05-2016 09:13 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Nobody rolls on Shabbos. It's specifically mentioned in the Talmud.

DO NOT ROLL ON SHABBOS!

.... wait, is he saying "shabbat" or "shabbos"? Because from the context it seems like "shabbat" but the word "shabbos" could also apply if I really try to force it? And I don't know what rolling on a shabbos goy would actually mean, but it SOUNDS bad however I interpret it.