ATTN: Theists - Four Questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2016, 11:20 AM
RE: ATTN: Theists - Four Questions
(17-05-2016 07:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  What's your denomination?

Do you believe in election or free will?

What is your eschatological view?

What is your view on origins (ie - YEC, OEC, TE, EC, etc)?

OK KIng's Chosen I'll try your questions to the bust of my ability. Even throw in a bit of my reasons for what I believe, maybe.
My favorite denomination is $50.00. The $100.00 are too hard to pass and when one cashes $2000 the $20.00 reallly fill up the wallet.
I believe in elections, I vote every damn one of them too. Usually liberal these last few decades, though my first presidential election I voted for Barry Goldwater!
Eschatological view? Never viewed one of them things!
Origins? I am a Darwinist from sway back!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
22-05-2016, 11:38 AM
KC, you must be feeling like this just happened Big Grin

[Image: funny-chuck-norris-was-here2.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
22-05-2016, 11:40 AM
(22-05-2016 11:38 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  KC, you must be feeling like this just happened Big Grin

[Image: funny-chuck-norris-was-here2.jpg]

Or did God do it?
22-05-2016, 11:44 AM
(22-05-2016 11:20 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 07:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  What's your denomination?

Do you believe in election or free will?

What is your eschatological view?

What is your view on origins (ie - YEC, OEC, TE, EC, etc)?

OK KIng's Chosen I'll try your questions to the bust of my ability. Even throw in a bit of my reasons for what I believe, maybe.
My favorite denomination is $50.00. The $100.00 are too hard to pass and when one cashes $2000 the $20.00 reallly fill up the wallet.
I believe in elections, I vote every damn one of them too. Usually liberal these last few decades, though my first presidential election I voted for Barry Goldwater!
Eschatological view? Never viewed one of them things!
Origins? I am a Darwinist from sway back!
Laugh out load
thanks for some good humor!!

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
22-05-2016, 09:17 PM
(22-05-2016 10:58 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(21-05-2016 06:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  If you see no evolution of consciousness, you are simply not looking.

Try this: The evolution of consciousness

or blow your mind on this: The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind, Julian Jaynes

You are amazing. Why? You told me to read something and you provided a source on where to find it.
Now I will definitely read, or at least attempt to read, what you have given me.
I will say that I am going into it with some caution. From what I have cursorly read on Wikipedia it says that this essay has no basis in neuroscience and that Dawkins, with some reservation, says that it is mostly bunk.
But I will still read it even though I doubt it will change my mind.
Part of the problem is that I have little academic knowledge of neuroscience and thus I cannot necessarily verify the authors claims. I will ask my science/theology professor for his opinion since he has his master's in neuroscience.
In any case what I was talking about was more along the time scale of 200,000 years not 3,000.
In fairness I will recommend you read the first 3 or 4 chapters of Chesterton's "Evelasting Man" which is on Gutenburg. I'm using my cellphone making copy and pasting a link difficult.

Science/theology professor? That's fucking hilarious. Sad, but hilarious. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
23-05-2016, 12:24 AM
(22-05-2016 09:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  Science/theology professor? That's fucking hilarious. Sad, but hilarious. Drinking Beverage

Mama came home the other day with the good news of an evangelical pastor medical doctor Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
23-05-2016, 07:45 PM
(22-05-2016 09:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-05-2016 10:58 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  You are amazing. Why? You told me to read something and you provided a source on where to find it.
Now I will definitely read, or at least attempt to read, what you have given me.
I will say that I am going into it with some caution. From what I have cursorly read on Wikipedia it says that this essay has no basis in neuroscience and that Dawkins, with some reservation, says that it is mostly bunk.
But I will still read it even though I doubt it will change my mind.
Part of the problem is that I have little academic knowledge of neuroscience and thus I cannot necessarily verify the authors claims. I will ask my science/theology professor for his opinion since he has his master's in neuroscience.
In any case what I was talking about was more along the time scale of 200,000 years not 3,000.
In fairness I will recommend you read the first 3 or 4 chapters of Chesterton's "Evelasting Man" which is on Gutenburg. I'm using my cellphone making copy and pasting a link difficult.

Science/theology professor? That's fucking hilarious. Sad, but hilarious. Drinking Beverage

Yes, absolutely sad and hilarious that a religion that has its own academy of science and its own observatory, couldn't possibly have any scientific literacy. There's no way that it could contribute to the field of science, adding such ideas such as genetics, the big bang, or that the head of the Vatican Observatory, a religious brother, won the Carl Sagan medal in 2014, and was chair of the American Astronomical Society.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 2 users Like TarzanSmith's post
23-05-2016, 09:19 PM
(23-05-2016 07:45 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(22-05-2016 09:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  Science/theology professor? That's fucking hilarious. Sad, but hilarious. Drinking Beverage

Yes, absolutely sad and hilarious that a religion that has its own academy of science and its own observatory, couldn't possibly have any scientific literacy. There's no way that it could contribute to the field of science, adding such ideas such as genetics, the big bang, or that the head of the Vatican Observatory, a religious brother, won the Carl Sagan medal in 2014, and was chair of the American Astronomical Society.

You utterly miss the point - as usual.

Theology has nothing to do with science. Science is based on evidence, theology is made up crap lacking any vestige of evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-05-2016, 09:45 PM
(23-05-2016 09:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 07:45 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Yes, absolutely sad and hilarious that a religion that has its own academy of science and its own observatory, couldn't possibly have any scientific literacy. There's no way that it could contribute to the field of science, adding such ideas such as genetics, the big bang, or that the head of the Vatican Observatory, a religious brother, won the Carl Sagan medal in 2014, and was chair of the American Astronomical Society.

You utterly miss the point - as usual.

Theology has nothing to do with science. Science is based on evidence, theology is made up crap lacking any vestige of evidence.

Was the point you were trying to make that a theist couldn't possibly also be an effective scientist?
23-05-2016, 09:51 PM
(23-05-2016 09:45 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 09:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  You utterly miss the point - as usual.

Was the point you were trying to make that a theist couldn't possibly also be an effective scientist?

That is demonstrably false.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus