ATTN: Theists - Four Questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2016, 09:58 PM
RE: ATTN: Theists - Four Questions
(22-05-2016 09:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-05-2016 10:58 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  You are amazing. Why? You told me to read something and you provided a source on where to find it.
Now I will definitely read, or at least attempt to read, what you have given me.
I will say that I am going into it with some caution. From what I have cursorly read on Wikipedia it says that this essay has no basis in neuroscience and that Dawkins, with some reservation, says that it is mostly bunk.
But I will still read it even though I doubt it will change my mind.
Part of the problem is that I have little academic knowledge of neuroscience and thus I cannot necessarily verify the authors claims. I will ask my science/theology professor for his opinion since he has his master's in neuroscience.
In any case what I was talking about was more along the time scale of 200,000 years not 3,000.
In fairness I will recommend you read the first 3 or 4 chapters of Chesterton's "Evelasting Man" which is on Gutenburg. I'm using my cellphone making copy and pasting a link difficult.

Science/theology professor? That's fucking hilarious. Sad, but hilarious. Drinking Beverage

Chesterton is even more sad.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2016, 12:24 AM
(23-05-2016 09:45 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 09:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  You utterly miss the point - as usual.

Theology has nothing to do with science. Science is based on evidence, theology is made up crap lacking any vestige of evidence.

Was the point you were trying to make that a theist couldn't possibly also be an effective scientist?

More that the two ways of thinking are diametrically opposed I think. There definitely have been amazing scientists who also happened to hold woo-beliefs. It's just... if you are *both* a professor of a branch of science *and* a theologian, there's got to be some double think going on. Areas of thought where you don't apply rational principles.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
24-05-2016, 07:39 AM
(23-05-2016 09:45 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 09:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  You utterly miss the point - as usual.

Theology has nothing to do with science. Science is based on evidence, theology is made up crap lacking any vestige of evidence.

Was the point you were trying to make that a theist couldn't possibly also be an effective scientist?

No, that theology has nothing to do with science.

It is sad to see someone waste brain cells on theology.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-05-2016, 10:43 AM
(23-05-2016 09:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-05-2016 09:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  Science/theology professor? That's fucking hilarious. Sad, but hilarious. Drinking Beverage

Chesterton is even more sad.

I like Chesterton, though. He's full of shit, but he writes very well, and is a lot of fun to read. I would love to have been a fly on the wall to hear him arguing with George Bernard Shaw (another famous wit).
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
24-05-2016, 11:09 AM
(24-05-2016 07:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  It is sad to see someone waste brain cells on theology.

I really don't care what they believe, so long as they follow the scientific evidence wherever it leads.

I get some don't, but there are some who do.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-05-2016, 11:38 AM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2016 12:40 PM by Aliza.)
(24-05-2016 12:24 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 09:45 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Was the point you were trying to make that a theist couldn't possibly also be an effective scientist?

More that the two ways of thinking are diametrically opposed I think. There definitely have been amazing scientists who also happened to hold woo-beliefs. It's just... if you are *both* a professor of a branch of science *and* a theologian, there's got to be some double think going on. Areas of thought where you don't apply rational principles.

Maybe that person is just very smart and capable of compartmentalizing. Perhaps you may not like the application of it, but I think their ability to successfully and effectively embrace two very different ways of thinking is an indication of being smarter than people who can only focus on one discipline and cannot wrap their heads around other ways of thinking to understand or relate to people on the other side of the fence.

Maybe their ability to view both ways of thinking can help them to bridge the gap for others. Maybe we need a few professors who can teach religious people to better understand science and analytical thinking in a manner that is familiar and non threatening.
24-05-2016, 11:56 AM
(24-05-2016 11:38 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 12:24 AM)morondog Wrote:  More that the two ways of thinking are diametrically opposed I think. There definitely have been amazing scientists who also happened to hold woo-beliefs. It's just... if you are *both* a professor of a branch of science *and* a theologian, there's got to be some double think going on. Areas of thought where you don't apply rational principles.

Maybe that person is just very smart and capable of compartmentalizing.

compartmentalizing == delusional.

Quote:Perhaps you may not the application of it, but I think their ability to successfully and effectively embrace two very different ways of thinking

The only differences are relying on evidence and understanding what constitutes evidence. There is nothing in theology that aids science.

Quote: is an indication of being smarter than people who can only focus on one discipline and cannot wrap their heads around other enough to even understand or relate to people on the other side of the fence.

Thinking uncritically does not aid critical thinking.

Quote:Maybe their ability to view both ways of thinking can help them to bridge the gap for others. Maybe we need a few professors who can teach religious people to better understand science and analytical thinking in a manner that is familiar and non threatening.

You are assuming facts not in evidence. There is no reason to believe his professor can do that, or that being a teacher of science and of theology is at all a help to either.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-05-2016, 11:56 AM
(24-05-2016 11:09 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 07:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  It is sad to see someone waste brain cells on theology.

I really don't care what they believe, so long as they follow the scientific evidence wherever it leads.

And I never said different. Drinking Beverage

24-05-2016, 11:58 AM
(24-05-2016 11:56 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 11:09 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I really don't care what they believe, so long as they follow the scientific evidence wherever it leads.

And I never said different. Drinking Beverage

And I didn't say you did. Tongue

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

25-05-2016, 12:52 AM
(24-05-2016 11:38 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Maybe their ability to view both ways of thinking can help them to bridge the gap for others. Maybe we need a few professors who can teach religious people to better understand science and analytical thinking in a manner that is familiar and non threatening.

I fully support the advice to recruit a fifth column within the ranks of theists to subvert them to our evil plans for them to think about what the fuck the pastor is saying on Sundays!

Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post