Abandoned houses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2016, 04:30 PM
Abandoned houses
Silly me for clicking on a youtube video on "abandoned houses". It took me down a rabbit hole and now I'm stuck. But whatever.

It makes me sad to see some of these beautiful old houses being destroyed by the elements with their windows open to rain and wind. The woodwork and details are hard to find in today's houses. I wonder if before some of these houses and mansons are razed they remove the woodwork and trim.

This one in Virginia might be destroyed. It just over 100 years old but still worth saving. A bed and breakfast maybe?

I'm amazed at how many homes across the US have been abandoned. The background stories must be interesting.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
24-02-2016, 04:54 PM
RE: Abandoned houses
(24-02-2016 04:30 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Silly me for clicking on a youtube video on "abandoned houses". It took me down a rabbit hole and now I'm stuck. But whatever.

It makes me sad to see some of these beautiful old houses being destroyed by the elements with their windows open to rain and wind. The woodwork and details are hard to find in today's houses. I wonder if before some of these houses and mansons are razed they remove the woodwork and trim.

This one in Virginia might be destroyed. It just over 100 years old but still worth saving. A bed and breakfast maybe?

I'm amazed at how many homes across the US have been abandoned. The background stories must be interesting.
There are tons in Instagram. My boyfriend's sister found this huge abandoned mansion in the woods in Kentucky last year. Even the marriage certificate was still in the home.
Instagram search #abandonedhouse #abandonedmansion #abandonedplantation #abandonedplantationhome - the house you saw on YouTube is on there.

You're really stuck when you start exploring those places... Unsure

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
24-02-2016, 05:06 PM
I always feel sad when I see abandoned houses- especially old houses that have beautiful woodwork. I wonder what may have happened to the owners, and why they are in the state they are in- and start to daydream about it...I can't go by one without wanting to fix it somehow- silly impulse but there it is...
24-02-2016, 05:18 PM
There's usually a very good reason why houses of this type are abandoned. Frequently, the plumbing , Electrical, or the very structure maybe out of date, or beyond what one would consider reasonable money wise to repair.
Also frequently, there'll be a family dispute involved over the ownership of the property, and both sides are too stubborn to come to agreement so the house rots.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
24-02-2016, 05:50 PM
Anyone else here an urban explorer? Basically I like to go in old, abandoned buildings. I need to bring my good camera and start taking pics. Old, abandoned things have always interested me.

"The danger of religious faith is that it allows otherwise normal human beings to reap the fruits of madness and consider them holy." - Sam Harris
[+] 3 users Like philosopher's post
24-02-2016, 05:52 PM
(24-02-2016 05:50 PM)philosopher Wrote:  Anyone else here an urban explorer? Basically I like to go in old, abandoned buildings. I need to bring my good camera and start taking pics. Old, abandoned things have always interested me.

Don't try that in Baltimore.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
24-02-2016, 06:39 PM
(24-02-2016 05:50 PM)philosopher Wrote:  Anyone else here an urban explorer? Basically I like to go in old, abandoned buildings. I need to bring my good camera and start taking pics. Old, abandoned things have always interested me.

I saw some molding in one of the videos I'd love to have and they're going to destroy the house. Do they actually just bulldoze it down and not salvage the old wood? Geez, you can't find wood like that anymore. Some of these trims and woodwork are from old growth forests. Sad.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
24-02-2016, 07:04 PM

I explore sites here in the woods- old settler foundations. I find things like coins, tools and crockery... I take pictures too..
[+] 2 users Like carol's post
24-02-2016, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2016 08:21 PM by carol.)
(24-02-2016 06:39 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

I saw some molding in one of the videos I'd love to have and they're going to destroy the house. Do they actually just bulldoze it down and not salvage the old wood? Geez, you can't find wood like that anymore. Some of these trims and woodwork are from old growth forests. Sad.

I have salvaged woodwork from homes that were going down, just call and ask if you can...most people will let you take the woodwork, I have found...if there is a sign posted, call the number on it...I have some beautiful barn wood on some walls...
[+] 2 users Like carol's post
24-02-2016, 07:59 PM
Looks like this trend has been going on for a while.

[Image: Palenque_ruins_web.jpg]

[Image: Leonardo%20Coccorante-685445.jpg]

[Image: 1397153618440]

When Crofting becomes a thing again, I want this one.

Not that I know how to croft.

[Image: suther-6284.jpg]

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post