Abandoned houses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2016, 11:46 PM
RE: Abandoned houses
(24-02-2016 10:49 PM)Nurse Wrote:  ...
Massive Flares Factory - this wing was bare minimum half a mile log - there's a person in this pic, and he was a good distance away from me

It's amazing to think how jobs are lost and lives are impacted simply because of a change in fashion.

Blink

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
25-02-2016, 01:33 AM
(24-02-2016 11:29 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(24-02-2016 10:49 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Yes. Fun stuff. A few of my adventures:

Bowling alley
[Image: FF2C187B-182C-48B6-8DB0-51E2848C4CF5_zpstgmn5rqa.jpg]

Water treatment facility
[Image: C88638DE-6FB2-4F91-9747-EB6D0E370B0E_zpsqxlcntx8.jpg]

Some grain thingy (like 15 stories tall)
[Image: 7EE41041-E382-46D7-B313-4AA62AE359F7_zpsyrv4l3lx.jpg]

Massive Flares Factory - this wing was bare minimum half a mile log - there's a person in this pic, and he was a good distance away from me
[Image: EDCA6AE2-1666-46DE-8EE7-011ECD0CA04F_zpsmlwpwiui.jpg]
Also the same flares factory
[Image: 7FE6B4A0-02BB-40B6-9F3D-241704D2F69B_zpsee2xxfyj.jpg]

Insane asylum - OR (yes they performed lobotomies there)
[Image: FEDA59D1-C7EA-48E5-929A-B16279DEF37B_zpsycmcdgvy.jpg]
[Image: B3DDBD77-BFCE-4DC2-8A2E-2E9BF6EF1487_zpsfgt9kcbh.jpg]

Graveyard behind an abandoned house - some of those people were born in the 1700s
[Image: 31FEE830-038E-48C7-92F2-122FFD52ED6A_zpsgcpqrsvl.jpg]

Neat photos. Is that asylum in Oregon? It might be the one used in the film One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It was filmed here in Oregon at an mental institution.

And wow. I had no idea people did stuff like urban exploration. The things I learn from the internet and youtube.

My problem is that if I went exploring into some of these abandoned places I'd have to put on a hazmat suit because I'm so allergic to mold and dust. It makes me super sick.

Know your trespassing laws if you want to go exploring. In Tennessee if there's not a No Trespassing sign posted, you can't be fined/arrested so long as you immediately vacate the premises when asked to leave, should the police show up. It's a lot easier to explore in rural areas even with signs posted - it's not like there's a lot of people to see you go in, plus less law enforcement.

I didn't take pics at the coolest place I've been to...we arrived on jet ski and went in through the basement of a seven or eight story slaughterhouse in Nashville overlooking the Cumberland River and downtown (first date with my boyfriend). We sat on the roof and drank wine. You can't go in through the front door in places like that - like Tennessee State Prison - there's a rear wall that has to be scaled, and I don't have the upper body strength for that. But this was the view from the slaughterhouse (not my pic): [Image: 11084869_615635285234772_2049295577_n.jpg]

The asylum we went to is just outside of Memphis. There are actually a lot of them - so many have closed due to the mental health system not having any funding.

A lot of the people I know who are into urbex are nurses or music artists. Then again, it's Nashville. And my circle is mostly nurses. Go figure.
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
25-02-2016, 01:41 AM
(24-02-2016 11:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  

It's amazing to think how jobs are lost and lives are impacted simply because of a change in fashion.

Blink

Actually, lives were lost in multiple incidents... the company has (yes, present tense - they opened up a new facility in a different region) a poor track record with worker safety. There were lots of areas throughout the building where you could tell there had been fires. We had no idea what the place was initially - just went down a road that had a weird entrance with no sign, and then this huuuge factory. There were tons of chemicals still in the lab at the front of the building, then we went through the empty wing,, then found tons of fume hoods, a "color room", gun powder, and flares boxes. We thought it was a fireworks manufacturer until we looked it up later.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
25-02-2016, 03:21 AM
(24-02-2016 09:46 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(24-02-2016 09:41 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Up next is a new tool chest for my carving tools, made of mahogany and beech. Just cutting out the pieces, atm.

Have you heard of the mastermyr chest?

wiki link

images

So interesting! Thanks!
25-02-2016, 03:30 AM
(25-02-2016 01:41 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(24-02-2016 11:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  It's amazing to think how jobs are lost and lives are impacted simply because of a change in fashion.

Blink

Actually, lives were lost in multiple incidents... the company has (yes, present tense - they opened up a new facility in a different region) a poor track record with worker safety. There were lots of areas throughout the building where you could tell there had been fires. We had no idea what the place was initially - just went down a road that had a weird entrance with no sign, and then this huuuge factory. There were tons of chemicals still in the lab at the front of the building, then we went through the empty wing,, then found tons of fume hoods, a "color room", gun powder, and flares boxes. We thought it was a fireworks manufacturer until we looked it up later.

Thanks for these- I would have found it irresistible. Exploring here means miles of unmarked woodland, and often wandering into someone's property- people are picky about that here...even when it is not posted... it would be difficult to post the land that is overgrown...and occasionally I wind up telling someone holding a shotgun that I am a little lost...
25-02-2016, 10:04 AM
(24-02-2016 11:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  

Blink

Um, I think that was like a joke or something, wasn't it.

[Image: Bohemian-Flare-Pants-Fashion.jpg]

Rolleyes

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
25-02-2016, 10:36 AM
Well that's freaky the same thing happened to me yesterday as well. I even started looking what the cost was to buy some of these places. They range from super duper cheep to HOLY FUCK SHIT this place is never going to be bought! Much of the problems comes from the cost to restore many of these places. I found abandoned castles in Europe that cost around $40,000 to $100,000 (American) But the cost to bring electricity, roof repair, struculae code, land mantince, would bring it in the millions. So said when you find property's that one would love to own, but it all comes down to the all mighty dollar.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
25-02-2016, 10:43 AM
(25-02-2016 10:36 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Well that's freaky the same thing happened to me yesterday as well. I even started looking what the cost was to buy some of these places. They range from super duper cheep to HOLY FUCK SHIT this place is never going to be bought! Much of the problems comes from the cost to restore many of these places. I found abandoned castles in Europe that cost around $40,000 to $100,000 (American) But the cost to bring electricity, roof repair, struculae code, land mantince, would bring it in the millions. So said when you find property's that one would love to own, but it all comes down to the all mighty dollar.

Surfing the internet I came across a UK tv show called Restoration House. I've been binge watching them since yesterday. It's pretty interesting.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
25-02-2016, 04:54 PM
(25-02-2016 10:04 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(24-02-2016 11:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  It's amazing to think how jobs are lost and lives are impacted simply because of a change in fashion.

Blink

Um, I think that was like a joke or something, wasn't it.

[Image: Bohemian-Flare-Pants-Fashion.jpg]

Rolleyes
Facepalm Lack of sleep and too many hours at work. I barely remember posting it... Can't believe I missed that Blush

There are several places I would love to restore if I had the time and money and were invincible to asbestos. I would turn some of the factories into art galleries and restaurants and banquet halls and condos.

In Madison, Alabama, the old police station is now a restaurant (it was tiny, think Mayberry). You can even dine in the two jail cells. They serve mostly southern frou frou food (poppyseed chicken casserole, strawberry pretzel salad, that sorta thing).

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
25-02-2016, 05:20 PM
(24-02-2016 05:18 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  There's usually a very good reason why houses of this type are abandoned. Frequently, the plumbing , Electrical, or the very structure maybe out of date, or beyond what one would consider reasonable money wise to repair.
Also frequently, there'll be a family dispute involved over the ownership of the property, and both sides are too stubborn to come to agreement so the house rots.

Don't forget infestations. You can buy big houses on the cheap if you don't mind bedbugs.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.