Ability for Self Reflection

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2013, 12:37 PM
RE: Ability for Self Reflection
I see what you are getting at. But I also don't think i fit in any of those categories. Also, I find it curious that you list those 4 categories, and then place yourself in the undefined category "liberal atheist".

There are of course many similarities and parallels to how theists and atheists act given that we're all human and such. However, I am sort of against putting people in categories. I think most people have layers/segments to their personality. Like how Dom said that she can be any one of these depending on the situation. I mean, I'm sure you realize this too. But putting people in a box is usually an inaccurate way to look at them in my experience. For both theists and atheists.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
06-12-2013, 01:17 PM
(06-12-2013 12:37 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I see what you are getting at. But I also don't think i fit in any of those categories. Also, I find it curious that you list those 4 categories, and then place yourself in the undefined category "liberal atheist".

There are of course many similarities and parallels to how theists and atheists act given that we're all human and such. However, I am sort of against putting people in categories. I think most people have layers/segments to their personality. Like how Dom said that she can be any one of these depending on the situation. I mean, I'm sure you realize this too. But putting people in a box is usually an inaccurate way to look at them in my experience. For both theists and atheists.

Of course not everyone fits perfectly into one box. I didn't realize I needed to address that premise.

Since you are making a judgment here, its very clear you don't know me.

I didn't put myself into an undefined category. Being a liberal anything doesn't mean that you aren't part of one of the defined categories.

There are Conservative Republicans, and there are liberal republicans.

Just like the Feeler, the Theologian, and any of those categories can have a degree of of truth but not to the extreme. For example, a Theologian might be well versed in scripture and the bible, but may not necessarily believe in the literalness of everything.

And since I did a very thread on "If god was real, I wouldn't worship him anyway" its clear that you do not know that I fit the most into the category of The Feeler. It doesn't mean I'm only The Feeler.

Look - take these categories in the same way you would a personality test. People categorize things because its almost impossible to have a conversation using conditional phrases in every sentence. Including, but not limited to, …..is kinda a given. And if its not a given, you are far to literal for your own good.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
06-12-2013, 01:18 PM
(06-12-2013 01:17 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  There are Conservative Republicans, and there are liberal republicans.
I think they went extinct, I've never met one =)

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
06-12-2013, 01:21 PM
(06-12-2013 01:18 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 01:17 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  There are Conservative Republicans, and there are liberal republicans.
I think they went extinct, I've never met one =)

I'm a liberal republican. I'm mostly all for having government leave capitalism alone, but if you are going to be anti-government-involvement, then stay the hell out of my uterus and stop trying to regulate my morals.

We aren't extinct. We are out there.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
06-12-2013, 01:22 PM
(06-12-2013 12:22 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 11:49 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  Having heard both sides, another similarity I find is that both sides have fears of persecution. I'm not saying they are unfounded but it might be something inherited in the west from christianity that finds fear/virtue in the perception of being persecuted. Thoughts?

Perhaps it is inherited from Judaism. Angel

Or as Chippy would say "Another way Judaism has debased western thought"

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
[+] 1 user Likes djkamilo's post
06-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Like I said, I get what you are saying. I just don't fully agree with the categories both in content or in principle. I see what you meant by "liberal atheist" now.

06-12-2013, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 01:59 PM by grizzlysnake.)
Lets put a mythologist in there! Similar to your folklorist but looks into such claims with interest and reserveing judgment for later. It seems obvious that some if not more than half of the events never happened or are accurately represented. Legends and allegory and embellishments. Just like those "big fish" stories, the bible even has one. Although I'm pretty sure they meant a whale, they didn't know about mammals and other distinctions like that. They even called bats birds Big Grin

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
06-12-2013, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 02:17 PM by Cathym112.)
(06-12-2013 01:34 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Like I said, I get what you are saying. I just don't fully agree with the categories both in content or in principle. I see what you meant by "liberal atheist" now.

Just curious about something. Did you, or do you, assuming you read it, have or had, the same objection to the chapter in Seth's book where he addresses these categories as they used to describe christians?* Or are you not liking the categories because I turned them around on Atheists?

*I purposely added more conditionals to a sentence to illustrate my point that we make assumptions all the time or the conversation gets very difficult. I could have simply asked you, "did you have those same objections when seth categorized christians?" and assumed that you read the book, and specifically, assumed you read that particular chapter.

06-12-2013, 02:25 PM
While I feel like I fit into those four categories, I feel that a podcast on this would be very good. If everyone is really stuck on this category thing, maybe through the podcasts more categories will pop up/will develop? Either way, I think this is a fantastic idea for a podcast. It'd be interesting to see different ways people develop for self reflection. Wonder what kind of guest Seth would get for this....

[Image: notagain.gif]
06-12-2013, 02:34 PM
(06-12-2013 02:11 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 01:34 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Like I said, I get what you are saying. I just don't fully agree with the categories both in content or in principle. I see what you meant by "liberal atheist" now.

Just curious about something. Did you, or do you, assuming you read it, have or had, the same objection to the chapter in Seth's book where he addresses these categories as they used to describe christians?* Or are you not liking the categories because I turned them around on Atheists?

*I purposely added more conditionals to a sentence to illustrate my point that we make assumptions all the time or the conversation gets very difficult. I could have simply asked you, "did you have those same objections when seth categorized christians?" and assumed that you read the book, and specifically, assumed you read that particular chapter.

No, i have not read Seth's book, but i would probably have similar objections. I try to recognize and avoid hypocrisy...hopefully with decent success.