Abortion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2012, 12:46 PM
RE: Abortion
(23-08-2012 10:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 10:22 AM)Dom Wrote:  My pregnancy is none of your business. It is mine and the father's, but definitely not yours, so stay out of it.

Geez!

(No, I am not really pregnant Tongue)

I think it's a little more nuanced than that.

The complicated part is late term pregnancy when the fetus is viable.

What if you are 'due' tomorrow? Is it really OK to abort today?
Due next week?
Due next month?

Pre-viable, no problem.

Ok, what didn't I get?

If I am due tomorrow, it's still none of your business.

That said, I doubt anyone has ever aborted a baby that was going to make an appearance the next day, what would be the point?

Late term abortions are done to save the mother's life. Some mothers decide to save their own life, some decide to save the babies life. The father would have a lot to say about that. You don't.

And these things are so rare that it only obfuscates the whole issue to even mention them.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Saying that part of the issue is so rare so as to be unimportant is to miss the point entirely. I am pro-choice and I am not against late-term abortions as long as they are necessary (the woman's right to choose not to have the baby can still be necessary). The point of mentioning these things that do happen (even though rarely) is not to blow it out of proportion but instead to put it into perspective. It simply isn't a black or white issue, even with the opinion that is the woman's choice because the father should have some rights too.

Evolve
23-08-2012, 01:09 PM
I think that

-Religion should stay out of the way in this topic, since the law applies to everyone, religious or not

-If the life of the mother is in danger unless she aborts, so be it, she has to abort!

-In case of rape and no abortion is allowed in the case and the mother doesnt want the child, the child should be given to some of the church's that that hate abortion in any form AND all of the things the rapist owns should be sold and given half to the mother and half to the child when he/she grows up.

I dont agree with any radical opinions like "abortion should be prohibited in all cases" or "the parents should be able to choose any time if the child lives, even at birth"

if your faith can move mountains it should be able to withstand criticism
23-08-2012, 01:30 PM
(23-08-2012 01:09 PM)SomeOne Wrote:  I think that

-Religion should stay out of the way in this topic, since the law applies to everyone, religious or not

Ah, but this is the heart of the matter isn't it? This is the driving force behind a major political party's platform that states abortion, regardless of circumstance, should be illegal -- because -- every embryo has a soul, even atheist embryos...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-08-2012, 01:35 PM
(23-08-2012 12:46 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 10:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  I think it's a little more nuanced than that.

The complicated part is late term pregnancy when the fetus is viable.

What if you are 'due' tomorrow? Is it really OK to abort today?
Due next week?
Due next month?

Pre-viable, no problem.

Ok, what didn't I get?

If I am due tomorrow, it's still none of your business.

That said, I doubt anyone has ever aborted a baby that was going to make an appearance the next day, what would be the point?

Late term abortions are done to save the mother's life. Some mothers decide to save their own life, some decide to save the babies life. The father would have a lot to say about that. You don't.

And these things are so rare that it only obfuscates the whole issue to even mention them.

I apologize that my terseness has once again gotten in the way.
Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Lecture_preist

I was trying to form a rational basis of discussion.
I don't agree that a woman has an absolute right to decide throughout her pregnancy on abortion - once the fetus is viable, it becomes a human rights issue.

A woman has 6 or 7 months to choose to abort the pre-viable fetus.
A rational point at which she has relinquished her choice is when the fetus is viable outside the womb.
We can disagree on that, but it is rational.

I am not trying to cloud the issue with late-term abortion horror stories.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-08-2012, 01:36 PM
(23-08-2012 01:30 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  

Ah, but this is the heart of the matter isn't it? This is the driving force behind a major political party's platform that states abortion, regardless of circumstance, should be illegal -- because -- every embryo has a soul, even atheist embryos...

Atheists have souls? Get out! Really?Blink

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
23-08-2012, 01:38 PM
(23-08-2012 01:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 01:30 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  Ah, but this is the heart of the matter isn't it? This is the driving force behind a major political party's platform that states abortion, regardless of circumstance, should be illegal -- because -- every embryo has a soul, even atheist embryos...

Atheists have souls? Get out! Really?Blink

Well, until we sell them.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
23-08-2012, 01:39 PM
(23-08-2012 10:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 10:34 AM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  still none of your business!

Human rights issues are everyone's business.

I am not arguing against abortion, I am arguing for humanist ethics.

Of course you are. You're Chas like that.

For me, it's just stupid politics. A child before six months has no separate sense of self. Humanity cannot begin before that point, making the whole thing a stupid, emotional argument.

And it's obvious these people don't give a fuck about life. Pro-life is nothing other than an appeal to emotion.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
23-08-2012, 01:39 PM
(23-08-2012 01:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  Atheists have souls? Get out! Really?Blink

You do until you relinquish it - which makes baby Jesus cry...which also explains why atheists are so hated...Big Grin

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
23-08-2012, 01:42 PM
(23-08-2012 01:30 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  

If it is wrong, the mother that chooses to abort will supposedly be punished and/or the doctors... Never mind, they can ask for forgiveness later.

Will the "soul" of the child be lost? well, doesnt the bible says somewhere that all the childs go to heaven anyway?

if your faith can move mountains it should be able to withstand criticism