Abortion propaganda in the classroom

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2012, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2012 01:50 PM by Dillon.)
Abortion propaganda in the classroom
I saw a few topics close to what I wanted to talk about, but all of them were past the point of bumping. I'm also not too sure on the section, so move it as needed.

Firstly, I just want to make it clear that I'm not a health care professional, I don't claim to understand or know everything. In fact, I'm here to learn. On the topic of abortion, I would say I relate closest to the pro-choice position. I don't directly support abortion and I don't think most people who identify themselves as pro-choice do. I don't know if I would ever abort, or advise my partner to abort, I don't think it's a decision you can make until it actually happens. There's a profound emotional and psychological side to it that I just don't understand. However, I do believe that others should have the choice. It's a very personal decision that involves someone's health, future and body. It's not something that we can decide for them, I don't believe anyone should have the right to force someone to carry through with a pregnancy.

I've read up on the opposition's argument, and what they generally argue is that a fetus is a human being and therefore has a right to life. I have no problem with this viewpoint and I'm not calling it wrong, in fact, I find it very interesting, but in most arguments/debates between pro-lifers and pro-choicers the pro-lifers come back to God. They argue that aborting breaches ethical limitations, but the only way I've ever seen it supported is by an argument that assumes some divine being is engineering the production of life on our planet.

Most of the pro-lifers in this city are very counter productive, they sit outside the clinics with their signs of aborted embryos/fetuses and beat down on those who enter. I can't help but see the hypocrisy here. You can't tell me that you're standing up for morals and ethics by doing this. You're only making those women who enter the clinic, who are dealing with an internal struggle, the scale of which you probably can't fathom, feel a lot worse. How are they standing up for morals and ethics in doing this? How do they know they aren't there for health reasons? Why do they assume that the woman getting an abortion was irresponsible?

Anyway, these are all questions I'd love some help with if I could get it, I'm just trying to understand, but I came here for something else. A teacher at my school is taking his class to the March for Life tomorrow. They're expecting about 15,000 people to show up at parliament and demand legal protection for children still in the womb. The reason I have an issue with this is because he's been showing them films that were literally designed to misinform them, the slant is very clear. He's unfairly altered the opinions of an entire classroom. This kind of thing infuriates me, it's almost like these people were indoctrinated into the pro-life movement, but whenever I bring it up to this teacher I'm deemed immoral and branded evil. He will not listen to anyone who's ideas do not conform to his own. What have I done that is so wrong?

Am I in the wrong here? I want to bring it up to the school board or maybe even head down to the movement tomorrow and speak to some people. I just want to do something. This kind of influence on societal opinions should not be taking place in a classroom. What do you guys think? Should I just leave it be? Thanks in advance, really looking forward to seeing what you guys can offer in terms of knowledge and advice.

- Dillon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dillon's post
09-05-2012, 02:14 PM
RE: Abortion propaganda in the classroom
I feel pretty much the same as you. Almost exactly actually. One thing I tend to toss at those that claim it as a human rights issues is that we are talking about an unborn human with no life experience. The pain of death (emotional and psychological) is a result of the experiences we have with a person. In very much the same way a person dying in Mongolia doesn't bother you emotionally the death of a fetus shouldn't bother you. Even more so IMO because the fetus has never impacted anything other than the parents and maybe slightly their families. I guess what I mean is, if you view abortion as unfair to the child on moral grounds maybe that person should stop and think about how little the life of that fetus has impacted the world. Our experiences are all we have so without experience life means nothing. So IMO the non-life of a fetus is not worth legislation. Except of course in homocide or assault cases where the pregnancy is lost/harmed.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
09-05-2012, 02:20 PM
oh no! you go and bring it up in the board, in the news and everywhere, teachers shouldn't be abusing their authority position to use their students for personal beliefs...

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
09-05-2012, 03:20 PM
I would fight this to no end. Whistle blow the hell out of this guy-- or give me the information and I will!! Reading that pissed me off-- thats how much I am against someone preching their opinions to children.

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
09-05-2012, 03:29 PM
(09-05-2012 03:20 PM)k37713 Wrote:  I would fight this to no end. Whistle blow the hell out of this guy-- or give me the information and I will!! Reading that pissed me off-- thats how much I am against someone preching their opinions to children.
This. I'll gladly bring national media attention to this. PM me the name of the school and teacher. If not I'll understand not wanting to spotlight yourself.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
09-05-2012, 03:37 PM
That's utterly evil.

Teacher is abusing his position of trust.

Also, bringing a bunch of indoctrinated kids to some rally more speaks of what a sleazeball you are than that the kids have any sort of opinion that's worth hearing. Not that the media will emphasize that. Them's good likkle Christian kiddies doing the *right thing* after all. After they were told what the right thing was by a dickhead who should... fuck I want to say should know better... Angry Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

FML Sad
09-05-2012, 03:37 PM
I'd like to make the trip there and speak to him in a public environment before I do anything like this. I'll gladly release minor details you're looking for, but I want to make sure what we're doing is reasonable and justified before we do it. The school is directly connected to a religion, so obviously something like this is on their agenda, but propaganda just isn't acceptable. I'd love to speak with you more tomorrow.
10-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Just a small update, I met the teacher there. He said we could speak more on Monday, I intend to follow through with this. I also spoke to the local news, I didn't give any names away, but the school will likely take action. I don't care if I'm suspended, expelled or whatever. Some things are more important.
10-05-2012, 01:47 PM
(10-05-2012 01:39 PM)Dillon Wrote:  Just a small update, I met the teacher there. He said we could speak more on Monday, I intend to follow through with this. I also spoke to the local news, I didn't give any names away, but the school will likely take action. I don't care if I'm suspended, expelled or whatever. Some things are more important.
Remember too that sometimes it's better to let others take on the fight. It may benefit you more to allow someone outside the school to make this an issue. You could fall victim to reprisal if other school administrators know you were at the center of exposing this.

-Mark Twain
10-05-2012, 01:49 PM
(10-05-2012 01:47 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Remember too that sometimes it's better to let others take on the fight. It may benefit you more to allow someone outside the school to make this an issue. You could fall victim to reprisal if other school administrators know you were at the center of exposing this.
For what it's worth, our other teachers were completely behind us. I was very careful not to give any information away. They don't know which school I was from or who the teacher was. All in all, it was a great experience. There were a ton of counter-protesters there. I wish the pro-lifers were a little more willing to speak with me, but I learned a lot.