About God and Knowledge and its nasty implications

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2013, 10:30 AM
RE: About God and Knowledge and its nasty implications
(28-10-2013 10:16 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 10:10 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  To have knowledge about something that is neither a conceptual thing nor a physical thing is nonsensical. You can't treat nonsense as sense by claiming God could magically do it....that's like saying God can magically make 2+2=5.

Not for God if you believe in such nonsense to begin with. If God is the origin of all things, then God created all concepts. And, frankly, if that's what you believe then, yes, God could make 2+2=5.

I'm not going to argue about it all being nonsense though. That's one reason I'm an atheist.

You are hilariously mistaken. Only Chuck Norris can make 2+2=5

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
28-10-2013, 10:52 AM
(28-10-2013 10:30 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 10:16 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Not for God if you believe in such nonsense to begin with. If God is the origin of all things, then God created all concepts. And, frankly, if that's what you believe then, yes, God could make 2+2=5.

I'm not going to argue about it all being nonsense though. That's one reason I'm an atheist.

You are hilariously mistaken. Only Chuck Norris can make 2+2=5

What, Chuck Norris isn't God? Wink

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
28-10-2013, 11:00 AM
(28-10-2013 10:52 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 10:30 AM)sporehux Wrote:  You are hilariously mistaken. Only Chuck Norris can make 2+2=5

I don't know if he is a god or not. But once I saw Chuck Norris eat a scrambled up rubix cube and shit it out solved.
[+] 3 users Like Heywood Jahblome's post
28-10-2013, 11:03 AM
(28-10-2013 10:52 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 10:30 AM)sporehux Wrote:  You are hilariously mistaken. Only Chuck Norris can make 2+2=5

This is why we say God is dead. Because Bruce Lee killed him in Way to the Dragon.

[Image: bruce-lee-vs-chuck-norris-o.gif]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
28-10-2013, 12:11 PM
(24-10-2013 06:38 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I have heard many atheist claim that God is possible, but the Christian God is not. Well in order for God to know about a world governed by the rules of the Christian God, God has create a world and govern it as the Christian God. In order for God to know about a world governed by the Buddhist God, God must create that world and govern it as a Buddhist God.

Dragging buddhists down your god path to hell is pretty dishonest.

Although some buddhist sects might address a god concept, basic buddhism as taught by the Buddha, does not. Buddhists do not believe in god. In fact, a god concept very often opposes the basic buddhist teachings.

If you're going to be terrified of living, do it on your own time. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
28-10-2013, 02:47 PM
(28-10-2013 12:11 PM)kim Wrote:  ...Although some buddhist sects might address a god concept, basic buddhism as taught by the Buddha, does not. Buddhists do not believe in god. In fact, a god concept very often opposes the basic buddhist teachings.

Well....that depends on how you look at it. I agree, "basic buddhism, as taught by the Buddha, does not" bother with the "god" concept. It even addresses it as a distraction from the path to enlightenment. Though "the Buddha" would have also allowed it, if that's the path you needed to take. So even "the Buddha" was not against it per say, just didn't feel the need to be bothered with it.

But that's "the Buddha". In actual practice, as with any religion, it varies greatly from it's origin. A modern day Buddhist may very well not believe in "God" or "gods", but a great number, arguably do. Many explicitly so.

I agree, it goes against the Buddhist doctrine, but in the same way, Christian's only believe in one "god" but still justify having three main "gods", at least one near comparable "god", a host of subordinate "gods" and lesser "gods" or "demigods", such as Yahweh, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, Satan, all the angels, and demons, and the saints, if you count those in your religion, yet they still claim to believe in only one "god", dispite the fact that if it were any other religion it would be viewed as having a whole panthon of "gods".

In the same way many Christians claim only one "god" but justify having many, so do many Buddhist claim having no "gods" but worship many in a way that if it were any other religion, they would be referred to as "gods".

But of course, it's not a tenent of Buddhism in general, so there are a great number who honestly don't believe in "gods". But that's not to say there aren't many who do treat Buddha, or any of the lamas, in the same fashion as other religions treat their "gods".

[+] 2 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
28-10-2013, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2013 04:13 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
But nonetheless, there is not a "Buddhist God". Especially not one that runs the universe. Just Buddhas, and lamas, that are often revered and prayed to not unlike "gods"

28-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Hey guys I'm pretty sure there is a planet out there in the universe and that has unicorns. You can also literally taste skittles in the rainbow on that planet. I don't have any proof or facts. But I have pretty good argument for my belief which is; you can't prove me wrong nana nana boo boo!
Let the debate begin!

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
29-10-2013, 01:11 AM
(28-10-2013 03:49 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Hey guys I'm pretty sure there is a planet out there in the universe and that has unicorns. You can also literally taste skittles in the rainbow on that planet. I don't have any proof or facts. But I have pretty good argument for my belief which is; you can't prove me wrong nana nana boo boo!
Let the debate begin!

The planet of the poisonous intelligent socks ate the unicorn planet a few years ago Sad

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
29-10-2013, 01:42 AM
(24-10-2013 11:39 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 11:25 PM)englishrose Wrote:  My head is about to explode, existence of unicorns proves existence of God and, specifically, the Christian one???????
Also, since when do atheists believe in ANY god?
AAAARRRGGGHHHH.

There is no proof of God in this discussion. It is an exploration into the "nasty" consequences of omniscience and omnipotence. The only conclusion I reached is if an atheist is willing to accept the possibility of and omniscient and omnipotent God, then they should also be willing to accept the possibility of the Christian God(or any other God for that matter). Some atheist will claim that it is possible for God to exist, but that it is impossible for the Christian God to exist. I find that position to be nonsensical if we are talking about an omniscient and omnipotent God.

To LostandInsecure: If an omniscient and omnipotent God exists and if a world of sexy super powers is logically possible, then God has created that world....but you don't live in it. Tongue

I'm an atheist.

I don't accept the possibility of any "god." Full stop.

So, for me, this conversation is pointless.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user