About Jules Verne.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2013, 07:03 AM
About Jules Verne.
Jules Verne had supposedly accurately predicted many future inventioned, I was wondering to what extent is that true?
Other than the fact that he didn't really predict anything, but influenced scientists who have read his works.

Lets take submarines... how exactly did he predict it? Submarines existed for hundreds of years in one form or another (Link)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2013, 12:40 PM
RE: About Jules Verne.
(23-12-2013 07:03 AM)Vlad Wrote:  Jules Verne had supposedly accurately predicted many future inventioned, I was wondering to what extent is that true?
Other than the fact that he didn't really predict anything, but influenced scientists who have read his works.

Lets take submarines... how exactly did he predict it? Submarines existed for hundreds of years in one form or another (Link)

You haven't told us who makes those claims. Can you point some out?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-12-2013, 03:01 PM
The page makes my iPad crash...

But do you mean this stuff??

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...niversary/

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

23-12-2013, 07:41 PM
I read/ heard something about it all.

He wasn't a philosopher or anything. He was the author of many many science fiction books back in the day. 20,000 leagues under the sea, around the world in 80 days etc.

Really he was just extremely imaginative, and extremely good at taking technology that was just theory back then and making it work to his writing. I'd say if anything he was a genius who was years ahead of his time, even if he didn't know it.
24-12-2013, 01:17 AM
I suppose it's similar to how Swift described the moons of Mars before they were discovered. He didn't actually, it was coincidence.

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index...s-of-mars/
24-12-2013, 03:55 PM
"I predict we will colonize the moon."

No thought or effort was put into that prediction. It's binary, either people will or won't colonize the moon from now until infinity. If it doesn't come true, people will ignore it. If it does, I'll be hailed a visionary or perhaps supernatural. Drinking Beverage

Or if it partly comes true, people might rationalize it and twist it to fit the prediction OR reword and reinterpret the predictions.